• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

December Board Applicants

exNavyOffRec

Thanks ABF2. Over my time of applying for the program I have heard different sources all around. I've also seen very diverse scores and met other SWO officers who've scored a 38 OAR and had a 2.2 GPA and still got in. I'm just hoping this is the lucky try #4 for me. Thanks to everyone for posting updated info on the boards. Us active duty guys don't really get any info other than this, especially when deployed.

SWO is more competitive than people think, yes there have been a few with low GPA's, the ones I have seen were NROTC , the days of OCS candidates getting in with low GPA's have been gone, it is rare to see anyone including SWO's get in with anything under 3.0

exNavyOffRec

I was told it is pretty open because the navy is having a hard time keeping SWO officers because the lifestyle can be very stressful.

The last SWO board was around 25% selection rate, so it really isn't that open, overall the numbers have remained fairly constant for SWO's, you must remember OCS is there to make up the shortfalls for other accession programs.

If there is a low retention in SWO's they just can't bring more in, there are a certain number of spots for O-1's O-2's O-3's, etc.... you just can't go oops we are low on LCDR's so lets bring in some more Ensigns.

One rough way to estimate is see when people here are getting OCS dates, the farther out in the FY the dates are is an indication how full they are.

RescueSwimmer19USN

Active Duty Navy SAR Crewman
The last SWO board was around 25% selection rate, so it really isn't that open, overall the numbers have remained fairly constant for SWO's, you must remember OCS is there to make up the shortfalls for other accession programs.

If there is a low retention in SWO's they just can't bring more in, there are a certain number of spots for O-1's O-2's O-3's, etc.... you just can't go oops we are low on LCDR's so lets bring in some more Ensigns.

One rough way to estimate is see when people here are getting OCS dates, the farther out in the FY the dates are is an indication how full they are.

What are the selection rates looking like for the aviation boards, if you have that info? Thanks!

Boethius

I am applying for this board and I was hoping someone more experienced could answer some questions. I am particularly interested about understanding this rolling board more. I have a loose understanding, but it would be nice to know more.

from here: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/NOTICES/1131FY12 encl 3.pdf

I know that it is convened upon receiving enough(a minimum number) application and there is no set date.

NavyOffRec remarked that the board we are concerned with is "lightly rolling".(http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/jan-feb-mar-boards.38022/page-68#post-760837)

1. Now one of my question is what does lightly rolling indicate? From descriptions of other rolling boards they meet quite often. Does lightly mean that this SNA/NFO/SWO board is not going to meet as often as is traditional with rolling boards?

2. Another question I have is will we be notified with the board convenes? The scheduled date for the board was December 2nd, but the board is no longer operating on that schedule correct? Reading other threads. It seems like this is kind of hit and miss and it just depends on if we are lucky enough to get information.

3. I guess this is just a "so wadduya think" questions. Since many thought there could have been a hard deadline of Nov 6th, do you think there were many more kits than the minimum for the rolling boards? Perhaps making this board a much more competitive one?

4. A question about my particular predicament. My OR sent in my application on the 5th. Will a I receive an e-mail confirmation that it was received, or will I need to e-mail someone at NRC?

And here are my stats if anyone is interested and since I haven't posted them:

Oar 55, 6/6/5
GPA 3.48 BA in Philosophy from UCLA (graduated 3/2013)
3 LOR/ One from supervisor, one from prof, one from president of judo club
Recruiter liked my Motivational statement, hopefully the board will too.
Applying for NFO/SNA/SWO

exNavyOffRec

I am applying for this board and I was hoping someone more experienced could answer some questions. I am particularly interested about understanding this rolling board more. I have a loose understanding, but it would be nice to know more.

from here: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/NOTICES/1131FY12 encl 3.pdf

I know that it is convened upon receiving enough(a minimum number) application and there is no set date.

NavyOffRec remarked that the board we are concerned with is "lightly rolling".(http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/jan-feb-mar-boards.38022/page-68#post-760837)

1. Now one of my question is what does lightly rolling indicate? From descriptions of other rolling boards they meet quite often. Does lightly mean that this SNA/NFO/SWO board is not going to meet as often as is traditional with rolling boards?

2. Another question I have is will we be notified with the board convenes? The scheduled date for the board was December 2nd, but the board is no longer operating on that schedule correct? Reading other threads. It seems like this is kind of hit and miss and it just depends on if we are lucky enough to get information.

3. I guess this is just a "so wadduya think" questions. Since many thought there could have been a hard deadline of Nov 6th, do you think there were many more kits than the minimum for the rolling boards? Perhaps making this board a much more competitive one?

4. A question about my particular predicament. My OR sent in my application on the 5th. Will a I receive an e-mail confirmation that it was received, or will I need to e-mail someone at NRC?

And here are my stats if anyone is interested and since I haven't posted them:

Oar 55, 6/6/5
GPA 3.48 BA in Philosophy from UCLA (graduated 3/2013)
3 LOR/ One from supervisor, one from prof, one from president of judo club
Recruiter liked my Motivational statement, hopefully the board will too.
Applying for NFO/SNA/SWO

The reason I say "light rolling" is that a "true" rolling board means that an application is submitted, and once NRC has verified no errors it is then sent to board members (generally the members do not meet together, it is emailed to each of the members) the board then makes a decision Y or N, so in a true rolling board it can be the early bird gets the worm, however I have seen it where the board went without because it didn't like the candidates submitted.

In this case it seems they are just waiting for a certain number of application to arrive then it triggers the board, in this case like several years ago the board probably feels less pressure to pick a large percent of those submitted since they know another board is around the corner.

Boethius

The reason I say "light rolling" is that a "true" rolling board means that an application is submitted, and once NRC has verified no errors it is then sent to board members (generally the members do not meet together, it is emailed to each of the members) the board then makes a decision Y or N, so in a true rolling board it can be the early bird gets the worm, however I have seen it where the board went without because it didn't like the candidates submitted.

In this case it seems they are just waiting for a certain number of application to arrive then it triggers the board, in this case like several years ago the board probably feels less pressure to pick a large percent of those submitted since they know another board is around the corner.

Thanks. Thats pretty much most of what I wanted to know.

ShultsSWO

SWO is more competitive than people think, yes there have been a few with low GPA's, the ones I have seen were NROTC , the days of OCS candidates getting in with low GPA's have been gone, it is rare to see anyone including SWO's get in with anything under 3.0
Thanks for the heads up NavyOffRec. I've been keeping track of this forum/blog since I started applying back in 2011. You've always had good gouge when it comes to updated info and keeping us all informed. I think I've naturally come to the conclusion that getting a commission is far easier if you are a civilian than while currently active duty. While I disagree with the boards decision on this I can only keep applying and see what happens. Most of the active duty guys that I've meet over the years that were picked up and graduated from OCS had low GPAs and low OARs. I'm not sure why that is but luckily the boards look at the "whole person" concept NOT just a test score. After all, anyone can pass a test or do well on one to be honest. To become a Naval Officer, I'm not sure a test score or GPA can determine that. I'm not trying to be rude but there are some of us that have lower GPAs than 3.0s. When I read a comment like the one you posted it just brings me down. But I'm not going to give up no matter what anyone's opinion might be.

jetullis6

Been there done that
For enlisted members does a Letter of Qualification from a college that shows you have completed all degree requirements and what your date of degree conferral will be, combined with a transcript which reflects credits and GPA suffice? Or is it hard and fast that they require a transcript with the conferral date and degree on it?
I did the same thing last year you are asking about. Got my package ready submitted it and a week before the board convened was told my package was no good because I didn't have my degree in hand... For Enlisted members you MUST have your degree in hand, it is a must. For non military affiliated applicants they can get a letter of intent and that will suffice. If you have any other questions let me know, I had to learn the hard way.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the heads up NavyOffRec. I've been keeping track of this forum/blog since I started applying back in 2011. You've always had good gouge when it comes to updated info and keeping us all informed. I think I've naturally come to the conclusion that getting a commission is far easier if you are a civilian than while currently active duty. While I disagree with the boards decision on this I can only keep applying and see what happens. Most of the active duty guys that I've meet over the years that were picked up and graduated from OCS had low GPAs and low OARs. I'm not sure why that is but luckily the boards look at the "whole person" concept NOT just a test score. After all, anyone can pass a test or do well on one to be honest. To become a Naval Officer, I'm not sure a test score or GPA can determine that. I'm not trying to be rude but there are some of us that have lower GPAs than 3.0s. When I read a comment like the one you posted it just brings me down. But I'm not going to give up no matter what anyone's opinion might be.

Many of the selection stats started changing around late 2009 and then again when there was an over selection so the boards halted for a bit and everything really changed, most of the AD guys here that have been non selects or the ones that I have talked to via PM had GPA's that would raise a flag for the board, and it isn't that it is necessarily harder when you are AD, but it is the fact that so many AD joined with low GPA's and were told "AD service will make up for your GPA" or "it is easier to get commissioned when AD" both of which are not correct, you know the hoops AD have to go through to submit an application in addition to the command requirements some place on people. The thing that AD have over civilians if when one door closes usually another opens, when a person is no longer eligible for OCS they are probably eligible for LDO.

Didn't mean to bring you down, just letting you know what they normally look for, I have seen in person and on here people that were told "you will get picked up for XXXXXX" and then when they aren't selected they are trying to figure out what happened, if people know where they stack up they can have realistic expectations.

FYI, on the civilian side we are brutal when it comes to moving people forward, if CNRC made initial cuts like we do on the civilian side a lot less would go to board.

theghettodefendant

None
I did the same thing last year you are asking about. Got my package ready submitted it and a week before the board convened was told my package was no good because I didn't have my degree in hand... For Enlisted members you MUST have your degree in hand, it is a must. For non military affiliated applicants they can get a letter of intent and that will suffice. If you have any other questions let me know, I had to learn the hard way.

Are you sure non ad have to have a letter of intent? My OR seemed certain I didn't need one since I'm graduating in December, but now this has got me nervous he didn't know what he was talking about.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the heads up NavyOffRec. I've been keeping track of this forum/blog since I started applying back in 2011. You've always had good gouge when it comes to updated info and keeping us all informed.
What gives? First you compliment NavyOffRec, then.....:confused:
I'm not trying to be rude but there are some of us that have lower GPAs than 3.0s. When I read a comment like the one you posted it just brings me down. But I'm not going to give up no matter what anyone's opinion might be.
His comment was a very educated opinion based on fact. If all the SWOs you met had sub-3.o GPAs & low OARs, that is an anomaly, and simply hasn't been the case in the recent past.

When you ask for opinions here i.e., "What are my chances for... ", I'm sure you appreciate straight answers, no? It appears you are laying a bit of a "guilt trip" on NOR, for making you 'feel bad'... that's unfair.:oops:

BTW, have you posted your numbers, & the rest of your package info anywhere? Your Profile info section is EMPTY! It's an AW requirement to fill in upon registration (Univ/major ASTB/OAR/GPA/accomplishments/LORs/team sports/volunteerism/employment/active military/hobbies, etc.). Many even have their package info displayed on each post. We use it constantly to help give informed opinions to your many queries. We realize that some of our opinions may not be what you want to hear, but I think you do want it straight. No fair shooting the messenger!:eek:

Good luck on your board application.:)
BzB, prior ET2 (SS)

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Are you sure non ad have to have a letter of intent? My OR seemed certain I didn't need one since I'm graduating in December, but now this has got me nervous he didn't know what he was talking about.
I needed one, my recruiter just asked me to type up something saying I want to go Pilot as opposed to my other two options (NFO/SWO)

theghettodefendant

None
It is called a degree completion plan, at least that is what I used.
Well I hope I didn't need one, my packet was submitted to the board and the processor didn't say I was missing anything so I hope he was right. Is it possible for my packet to make it past the OR, the processor, and up the COC if it was missing something that important? Could this possibly break my packet?