• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dec. 7

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Lest we forget:

picture055dv5.jpg

photo by A4sForever

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
May the heroes from that day be never forgotten - and may we carry the fighting spirit from that day with us, wherever we go!

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
John Stanley Alford - Pearl Harbor Survivor

My grandfather was on board the U.S.S. California when it was sunk and was trapped with others for nearly 4 hours until rescue divers could reach them. The local newspaper wrote an article about him as he recalled his experience back in 2001, just one month before he passed away. He passed away May 4, 2001 while I was in boot camp. God Bless, grandpa.

bb1125

None
For those in Pensacola, there will be rememberance ceremony at the museum today starting at 1030. There will also be a Pearl Harbor Memorial unveiled at Barrancas National Ceremony tomorrow at 1000.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I was supposed to swear in today which would have been amazing. Walking around Pearl on my honeymoon was one of the catalysts for me to join the Navy. God bless...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Someday, when the opportunity presents itself, visit the "quiet" side of Ford Island. Visit the USS UTAH.

There's also a little known story of the "smallest member of the crew" who lies at rest aboard the USS UTAH today --- watched over by 54 of the ship's finest ....

A "SMALL" ADDITION TO THE STORY OF THE USS UTAH
Chief Yeoman Albert T. D. Wagner had the ashes of one of his twin daughters, Nancy Lynne, in his locker aboard ship on that fateful day of December 7, 1941. He was waiting for a Chaplain to come aboard and for the UTAH to go out on maneuvers so that her ashes could be scattered at sea in the old Navy tradition. The urn containing the ashes of the tiny baby girl went down with the UTAH. Frogmen tried to reach Wagner's locker to retrieve the urn, but the ship was too badly damaged. Therefore, there is a baby girl aboard the USS UTAH being guarded by 54* of the Navy's finest.

Link:
PEARL HARBOR: THE USS UTAH (BB31/AG16) STORY

Present day remains of the USS UTAH:

dsc01190yx5.jpg

photo by A4sForever

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
What is that?

I surely hope that your "down-home raisin" hasn't made you that entirely closed off to the rest of the world..

That there is the ship that saw the greatest loss of life of any warship in the history of the U.S. Navy. Almost as many men died aboard that warship as were killed in 9-11, to put it in modern perspective. I know you're all about the Marines, but I am sure she had a pretty sizeable marine contingent on board, as well.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Isn't it said that when the last drop of oil from the tanks comes to the surface, the last veteran of WWII has passed away?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Isn't it said that when the last drop of oil from the tanks comes to the surface, the last veteran of WWII has passed away?
I dunno ... but I do know that when you see black Navy bunker oil, nearly 70 years old, still seeping up to the surface, you are speechless. I was .... that's oil in the foreground -- not algae. Sorry for the size of the pic, but I thought you might want a clearer look ... it has a very somber, sobering effect on one.

fallwinter2003107ai3.jpg

photo by A4sForever