• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dealing with diagnosis that I know will hurt my chances.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Which is why the N3M letter will say "N3M defers to NAMI for suitability for aviation programs"

Technically MEPS doesn't clear any officer candidates.

I was just going based off what I’ve heard. I think I’ve seen people get their N3M letter back saying they weren’t approved for aviation or something like that.

Correct me if I’m wrong, no hard feelings haha

exNavyOffRec

I was just going based off what I’ve heard. I think I’ve seen people get their N3M letter back saying they weren’t approved for aviation or something like that.

Correct me if I’m wrong, no hard feelings haha
It is one of those things where if you don't meet the requirements they will tell you, but if you appear to meet the requirements they will defer to NAMI for the actual approval.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
It is one of those things where if you don't meet the requirements they will tell you, but if you appear to meet the requirements they will defer to NAMI for the actual approval.

That’s what I thought reading what has happened to people in the past. Normally if something obvious stands out like 20/100 vision, or other standards for aviation. It will say something along the lines of not approved for aviation.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
but if you appear to meet the requirements they will defer to NAMI for the actual approval.

A pedantic addition...NAMI doesn't approve a waiver, either. BUMED is the actual approval authority, but NAMI makes the recommendation. Or at least that's how it works on active-duty.

JKC@

Do most people need waivers for NAMI? It seems very strict, which makes sense given the job however.

exNavyOffRec

A pedantic addition...NAMI doesn't approve a waiver, either. BUMED is the actual approval authority, but NAMI makes the recommendation. Or at least that's how it works on active-duty.
True, but I never saw a case, and neither did NRC at the time, where NAMI was over-ridden by BUMED. I have seen times where N3M was over-ridden by BUMED.

JKC@

True, but I never saw a case, and neither did NRC at the time, where NAMI was over-ridden by BUMED. I have seen times where N3M was over-ridden by BUMED.
hey so you're an ex recruiter? If you were a recruiter would you work with someone with my medical history?

exNavyOffRec

hey so you're an ex recruiter? If you were a recruiter would you work with someone with my medical history?
I would tell you what was needed to start the process, documents, etc.... and then if you wanted to do the work I would submit to see what they would say, and then tell you what you would need to get to the step after that.

The applicant does most of the work.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Agreed on the NAMI/BUMED relationship. I was curious if the N3M component made the process slightly different. Sounds like it does.

Mouselovr

Contributor
@JKC@
I gave you a pretty good answer on your previous post that relates to the BH stuff.

As for ADHD, I know multiple aviators on waivers for past meds/childhood diagnoses. It can be a hassle and a process, but it is obtainable with MEPS/NAMI.