• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCOIC Uniforms Question

lost_in_asia

I am preparing to go to DCOIC next month and I have a uniform question and would like some advice. I currently have one set of Khakis, from Abbott Uniforms and the garrison cap that I have seems to be a bit smaller and a bit more "flimsy" that the standard garrison cap purchased from NEX.

I have a NEX garrison cap as well and the material is ever so slightly different from my khaki shirt, and normally no one would be able to tell the difference, but during the khaki uniform inspection, it may be. Being that everyone has to be the same at DCOIC and I need another set of khakis, would the Abbott khakis and garrison cap be ok or should I get 2 sets of the NEX khakis.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
azguy may be right. You will pass. But, if you care to be your very best, just get a single matching uniform from the NEX and use that for the inspection. The Abbot's uniform with NEX cap is good enough any other time. I don't see a need to have two perfect sets for DCOIC.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Yup! It should be a fun class. :).

/threadjack I am personally annoyed that in the quest to have us all the same that we can't wear the combo cover or beret with the khakis. I am not a fan of the garrison cap. Luckily when they roll out the abomination that is the female-male style cover, the beret is authorized with both whites and blues in addition to khakis! /end threadjack

Still I would hope and imagine that such a subtle difference would not be noticeable during the inspection. I guess we will find out and be able to pass the jnformation on to future DCOIC attendees.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
/threadjack I am personally annoyed that in the quest to have us all the same that we can't wear the combo cover or beret with the khakis. I am not a fan of the garrison cap. Luckily when they roll out the abomination that is the female-male style cover, the beret is authorized with both whites and blues in addition to khakis! /end threadjack

Most officers prefer the garrison cover for a variety of reasons. There is also a cultural element, some people see them as a "chief's thing" or a "SWO thing." (And some might think you're in the Army with a Beret!). Personally, I just think having this big cover to haul around indoors or take up space on my desk is a pain, and I haven't put the pancake back on the combo cover since OCS.

Also, the OCS candidate officers (senior class that runs the most junior class) wear combo covers, and supposedly having the candios wear a different cover than the direct commission programs makes it easier for the staff to know who's who at a distance. That was probably more important back before NWUs when OCs wore wash khakis.

Renegade One

None
[The female beret:] I've seen pictures, but just once in real life. It's quite a strange sight.
Probably the worst-designed and worst-looking piece of headgear in the history of the Navy…along with the female mess dress Tiara. God help us...

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
Probably the worst-designed and worst-looking piece of headgear in the history of the Navy…along with the female mess dress Tiara. God help us...
I've seen both in DC over the last few years. I see a fair number of nurses/doctors wear the beret when I go up to Walter Reed and the Tiara always makes an appearance on someone at theNavy ball or Navy Marine Corps relief ball. Last time it was a female O6 that I noticed.