• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCOIC Gouge for those about to commission as a DCO

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Again, the argument was that making a doctor attend a 5 week school -- ODS -- would severely impact their yearly accession goals and ability to attend accession training.

I don't really see how that challenges any of my arguments.

From a NAVIFOR perspective we have to tell DCO candidates that they will have to attend 5 weeks of ODS, followed by another active duty school. In the case of IP's, this is a 20 week course.

Which means we want well-trained DCO's, and it is still less than what the other services require for most of their reserve officers. If folks don't want to put in the time, don't join.

Again, I don't see the big deal. At all. It is a 5 week school, suck it up. Too bad some others get to do it in two separate stints, life ain't fair and if you haven't realized that already the Navy will teach you that. Repeatedly.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

One small typo from the comment with the chart I noticed. Medical Corps is listed twice. 2305 should be Medical Service Corps.

The 20 week IP Basic for reserve IPs is an interesting point. Do DCO medical types have a PQS and training pipeline, maybe to learn the specifics of Navy medicine and procedures, or are they good to go after going through Newport?

Do you think they will let me break it up into 5 seperate weeks?! That way ill get 10 travel days and really build up my travel points?!
?

(Obviously having fun here, but just incase it isnt obvious! Ha)

Do you really love NROWS and DTS that much? ? DTS is something out of Dante's Inferno, or some Lovecraftian nightmare.

#Triggered

I seem to have a knack for triggering heh. Anyways, thanks for the correction.

AULANI

The 20 week IP Basic for reserve IPs is an interesting point. Do DCO medical types have a PQS and training pipeline, maybe to learn the specifics of Navy medicine and procedures, or are they good to go after going through Newport?
Your training never ends in the Navy.

D

Your training never ends in the Navy.

You don't say, but it doesn't address the question. For example, I have a PQS that takes ~4 years to complete before I can even think of MOB'ing or other 'real' work. Many other designators entering the reserve directly likewise have a qualification program to work through. Do DCO medical/nurse/dental officers have something similar? Or is their civilian experience deemed sufficient such that they are considered qualified to immediately take a billet at an NMC once they've completed DCOIC (or soon, ODS)?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do DCO medical/nurse/dental officers have something similar? Or is their civilian experience deemed sufficient such that they are considered qualified to immediately take a billet at an NMC once they've completed DCOIC (or soon, ODS)?

There are only a few specialized medical areas specific to the military so most medical professionals who already hold civilian qualifications, which I am pretty sure apply to military as well, would likely able to be utilized almost immediately in most cases.

AULANI

You don't say, but it doesn't address the question. For example, I have a PQS that takes ~4 years to complete before I can even think of MOB'ing or other 'real' work. Many other designators entering the reserve directly likewise have a qualification program to work through. Do DCO medical/nurse/dental officers have something similar? Or is their civilian experience deemed sufficient such that they are considered qualified to immediately take a billet at an NMC once they've completed DCOIC (or soon, ODS)?
Thanks for explaining what a PQS is. They didn't have those when I joined the Navy in 1997.

Medical/nurse/dental already go to ODS.

D

As promised, here is the day-by-day DCOIC guide, though there's only 2 classes left. Note that some things can be different depending on your Class Officer and Class Chief. For example, I've known people whose class PT'd once or twice, while mine did 5 times, not including the swim test and "surprises".

You'll get sufficient instructions on how to get to the base, so I'll leave that out. I'll only mention when you arrive, there's a first-come, first-serve sign-up sheet for collateral duties. If you really want to get what interests you, it's better to arrive something like mid-Saturday if you're flying in.

Some of the things that happen every day or not on any particular day.
  • Monday-Friday you will have chow for breakfast, lunch, and dinner as a unit.
  • You will also be doing a group presentation, with a sign-up sheet for one of the topics.
  • You will also have your picture taken in the studio for composites wearing your SDBs.
  • Each day had an end-of-day brief by your Class Officer and Chief, and then afterwards as a unit led by your Class DIVO.
  • We held quarters in the mornings, but only did it a few times.
  • You will likely be having a community brief at some point. Either someone will come to base, or you'll have a teleconference call.
  • Keep in mind most activities are as a unit. For example, when leaving the barracks,
  • Your rooms will be inspected throughout both weeks, and some stuff may be thrown around or your bed sheets torn out if it's not up to snuff. There will be a formal inspection with a form filled out by the inspector(s) in the second week.
  • Other than the mock PRT which involved running on a very narrow track, our PT was very basic. HIIT and circuit style stuff.
  • You can and should paint a class mural and set up a class party end of the second week.
Overall, I often read, hear, or am asked about concerns regarding DCOIC. You do get firehosed with activities and information and the days will be very long, but I will say it was very easy. I've heard a fair amount of ODS, and if anything, it sounds like they get firehosed a bit less. They also do more training activities.

Day 0 (Sunday): Check-in and BCA at 1500. You will be sent home if your weight and measurements are beyond allowable standards.

Day 1: Welcomes by your Class Officer and Class Chief. Filling out medical and other forms. Uniform inventory and going to the uniform shop. In-briefs by the OTCN CO and DCOIC/ODS Director. Some presentations and instruction on the rank/rate system, saluting and greeting, drill.

Day 2: Urinalysis first thing in the morning. ADP Brief. SAPR talk. Going over service uniforms. A talk on your unit's collateral duties. Talk on Navy core values and leadership. Talk on physical readiness and the PRT, and an explanation of what to do for your group presentations.

Day 3: PT in the morning, then a mad rush back to shower and get ready for chow. Then the rest of the day was death by PowerPoint, other than lunch and dinner. After dinner was end-of-days and doing whatever you needed to take care of.

Day 4: Third class swim qualification! Lots of waiting, especially if you have a large class, but it was a lot of fun to get in the water. I loved it personally. That takes up the whole morning. After lunch is more classroom time until dinner and end-of-day.

Day 5: Morning PT followed by lots more time in the classroom. The lessons are already on the DCOIC sharepoint page (CAC required), but I can enumerate topics if needed. We also got our liberty brief, and then a fun but not-so-fun surprise in the evening. :) After that, we had liberty just for the evening. Weekend liberty including overnight Saturday, however.

Day 6-7 (weekend): We had some stuff to do Saturday morning, and some people had community briefs, so we didn't start liberty until much later than expected. We had to be back by some time Sunday evening. Do take advantage of liberty.

Day 8 (Monday): Khaki inspections first thing in the morning. Know your gouge, and have your khakis squared away. Everything gets checked. The irons available are garbage and some just leak water everywhere, so do bring some Downy or Febreze wrinkle release spray at least. Then a long full day of classroom fun.

Day 9: Morning PT. Lots more classroom fun for the rest of the day. We also started giving our group presentations during this time.

Day 10: Morning PT. Lots more classroom stuff. We had our comprehensive exam after lunch, which is one of the graduation requirements. It was multiple choice and very simple. People were stressing over it a lot, especially since we really didn't have time to study, but everyone passed.

Day 11: Mock PRT in the morning. Same old showering then show, and then we did colors. More time in the class room, an out-brief, and an informal SDB inspection. We had our class party after that.

Day 12: Morning "surprise", followed by chow and out-processing activities. Congrats! You finished DCOIC.

Overall it was nice meeting lots of awesome people, but I felt the class was not challenging (other than the sickness/allergies and self-imposed sleep deprivation). So if anyone is worried, there's nothing to worry about. Frankly in my experience, the worst part of it by far was battling through NROWS, DTS, and the 5+ critical errors made by my NOSC in all of that.

I'm probably forgetting lots of little details, but they're inconsequential. Just prepare for early mornings, swimming, and death by PowerPoint.

D

There are only a few specialized medical areas specific to the military so most medical professionals who already hold civilian qualifications, which I am pretty sure apply to military as well, would likely able to be utilized almost immediately in most cases.

As always, much appreciated.

Thanks for explaining what a PQS is. They didn't have those when I joined the Navy in 1997.

Medical/nurse/dental already go to ODS.

My bad. It is clear from the helpful but generic philosophical statement in your first response and then this comment there is a misunderstanding, and also, becoming an officer in the Navy Reserve, or the Reserve in general, is just odd and confusing. I've mentored some people coming off years of active duty service into SELRES because they didn't know what's going on. Can't blame them at all.

PQS = Personnel Qualification Standards. Basically the required training and things to do in order to become qualified for one's designator or rating.

Yes, I know medical/nurse/dental already go to ODS (active duty) or more pertinent, DCOIC (if directly commissioning into the reserve) and had noted that. My question was as to what formal Navy training following DCOIC, if any, do these DCO medical types go through following that to become a "qualified" Navy doctor or nurse or such. But Flash answered it, so no worries.

To give some context, for civilians looking to join the Navy Reserve as officers, the Navy doesn't do it like the other services where officer candidates for the Reserve/National Guard components typically follow the same training and qualification route as their active duty counterparts. Rather, if Navy Reserve officer applicants are selected, and for what it's worth it's absurdly competitive, they get commissioned after some months of hurry up and wait, not after an officer candidate school. Then you work with your NOSC to go to DCOIC, not OCS (came as a surprise to me). After that, they'll work through their qualifications, but many designators may have one or more of their courses may be reduced in length compared to their active duty counterparts. Depending on class and funding availability, which doesn't seem great in the Reserve, the time towards qualifying and between courses and other milestones can get really spaced out, too.

AULANI

As always, much appreciated.

My bad. It is clear from the helpful but generic philosophical statement in your first response and then this comment there is a misunderstanding, and also, becoming an officer in the Navy Reserve, or the Reserve in general, is just odd and confusing. I've mentored some people coming off years of active duty service into SELRES because they didn't know what's going on. Can't blame them at all.

PQS = Personnel Qualification Standards. Basically the required training and things to do in order to become qualified for one's designator or rating.

Yes, I know medical/nurse/dental already go to ODS (active duty) or more pertinent, DCOIC (if directly commissioning into the reserve) and had noted that. My question was as to what formal Navy training following DCOIC, if any, do these DCO medical types go through following that to become a "qualified" Navy doctor or nurse or such. But Flash answered it, so no worries.

To give some context, for civilians looking to join the Navy Reserve as officers, the Navy doesn't do it like the other services where officer candidates for the Reserve/National Guard components typically follow the same training and qualification route as their active duty counterparts. Rather, if Navy Reserve officer applicants are selected, and for what it's worth it's absurdly competitive, they get commissioned after some months of hurry up and wait, not after an officer candidate school. Then you work with your NOSC to go to DCOIC, not OCS (came as a surprise to me). After that, they'll work through their qualifications, but many designators may have one or more of their courses may be reduced in length compared to their active duty counterparts. Depending on class and funding availability, which doesn't seem great in the Reserve, the time towards qualifying and between courses and other milestones can get really spaced out, too.
No worries... what I meant with the training statement is that even though medical people may already be qualified they don't show up to their first command and start working the second they get on the floor. My wife is an oncologist and went through ODS. Even though she knew what she was doing when she graduated ODS she didn't show up to NNMC her first day and just put a line of chemo in someone. Someone who was already there showed her how THEY do it at that hospital. When she transfers to her next hospital it will be the same process. That is the never ending training part.