• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Panel Interview Gouge

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Piggybacking off of this. I had my panel for 1835 a few weeks back, my recruiter told me my scores. Is 10,9,8 survivable? I'm outside of DC area.
Tell us about yourself, your degrees, work experience, credentials, prior enlisted service, number of times applying for DCO, etc.

Apapa2

BA in political science, 3.3 GPA. Have held leadership positions in political campaigns with steadily increasing levels of responsibility for ~8 years now, managing teams of up to 50 people. Currently managing a team of 8 and I'm a foreign policy advisor to a member of congress. No prior service, first time applying for DCO. Have letters of rec from the current governor of my state, who's campaign I managed, as well as the member of congress and a current intel O-3 as well as other former supervisors.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
BA in political science, 3.3 GPA. Have held leadership positions in political campaigns with steadily increasing levels of responsibility for ~8 years now, managing teams of up to 50 people. Currently managing a team of 8 and I'm a foreign policy advisor to a member of congress. No prior service, first time applying for DCO. Have letters of rec from the current governor of my state, who's campaign I managed, as well as the member of congress and a current intel O-3 as well as other former supervisors.
Why do you want to join the Navy?

Apapa2

I've given my adult life to our system of government, both through campaigns and working in the government itself.

China and Russia are using naval power to attempt to expand their spheres of influence and export their systems of government, which are anathema to ours. I have leadership experience from my civilian career and subject matter expertise, but I know I could continue to grow in both of those areas in the Navy.

In essence, I have the skills to contribute how I can to defend an institution I've spent my entire life working in, while taking advantage of service as an opportunity to continue to grow.

SELRES_AMDO

I once applied and got something similar. 10, 9, and a few 8s from someone I asked for an interview. My CMC landed me an interview and endorsement from the wing commodore who asked to see my entire package before endorsing me. During our meeting he informed me that 8s are not a good thing and to take it out of my package. YMMV. But, I took his advice and pulled it from my package.

To a young junior enlisted I though 8s were good. But, I wasn't well versed in Navy double speak at that point in my career.

exNavyOffRec

I once applied and got something similar. 10, 9, and a few 8s from someone I asked for an interview. My CMC landed me an interview and endorsement from the wing commodore who asked to see my entire package before endorsing me. During our meeting he informed me that 8s are not a good thing and to take it out of my package. YMMV. But, I took his advice and pulled it from my package.

To a young junior enlisted I though 8s were good. But, I wasn't well versed in Navy double speak at that point in my career.

If it was the panel interview it can't be pulled, the panel interview for IWC is often done at one shot with 3 officers, one is the region OIC the other 2 are for the IWC interviews so all 3 are required.

DCO from the civilian side is a bit different.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Any interview appraisal that gets sent to your OR must be included in your DCO packet.

Don’t worry about scores; worry about improving your qualificafions for selection for next time (if you don’t make it) or for your career (if you do).

SELRES_AMDO

If it was the panel interview it can't be pulled, the panel interview for IWC is often done at one shot with 3 officers, one is the region OIC the other 2 are for the IWC interviews so all 3 are required.

DCO from the civilian side is a bit different.
Wasn't a panel interview. Just a one on one interview for my OCS application.

trakanon

Contributor
I'm not familiar with the OCS process, how many interviews if any are required for IP 1820. I am curious thanks.

Squirrel Girl

Just wanted to pop in this thread and say if your package is strong in other places, having one "low" interview score might not render you dead in the water. Was picked up with 10, 9, 6 from my 3 interviews.
I was surprised because I was banking on not being selected and was planning on needing new interviews. If you do not score well (9 and 10s only) and the board is near, I still think it is worth going for it.

exNavyOffRec

Just wanted to pop in this thread and say if your package is strong in other places, having one "low" interview score might not render you dead in the water. Was picked up with 10, 9, 6 from my 3 interviews.
I was surprised because I was banking on not being selected and was planning on needing new interviews. If you do not score well (9 and 10s only) and the board is near, I still think it is worth going for it.

Wow, did you go buy a lottery ticket? It is rare to see anyone picked up with a 9 let alone a 6.

It makes me wonder if one of the board members knew the person that gave you the 6? There was a reserve Supply Captain at our local NOSC who would do interviews and sit the DCO Supply board, he made a comment to another officer when I was visiting the NOSC that LCDR XXXX was known for giving low scores to people, maybe same situation so they knew a 6 really isn't a true 6?

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
I'm very happy for you. Getting selected with a 6 is definitely not the norm. I've known an 8 to kill a package. Was your OIC interview a 10? This is an interesting data point.