• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Date of rank affect wait time to class up?

mountainman

Just a quick question that pertains to guys headed to API who are coming from other communities and have been in a while. Do these guys, I'm talking ensigns about to put on O-2 and above, generally wait less time to class up? I'm trying to figure out how much sunscreen to bring and whether or not I should buy this dirt bike I've been wanting:)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IIRC they do class up quicker. An 07 academy guy I knew had gone to grad school before showing up and when he got to Pcola he classed up pretty quick. Unless things have really changed though I wouldn't worry too much about people like that since the almost JG types are few and far between.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
My understanding from the Flight Mgmt briefing was someone who was about to put on JG, or already a JG, may be moved to the front for career progression/BUPERS voodoo.

Now, caveat, there's a lot of people here now who are pushing one year of service (May Grads) and still waiting to class up. They seem to think that somehow puts them in the same category. Someone asked the Skipper about this specifically at the Captain's Call last week, but I haven't heard an answer to that one yet.

As an aside, I'm surprised they let you Lat over to Aviation with our overmanning. But congrats. Oh, and don't be the tool O-2 trolling for Ensign salutes... :icon_rage ;)

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Skipper did answer the question-- he said that BUPERS tries to keep folks in the same YG as close together in the pipeline as possible. This keeps you competitive with your peers for selection boards.

So if you were stashed at your commissioning source for 9 months, you may be bumped up ahead of folks who reported onboard Schools Command before you.

Will that affect you specifically? YMMV.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Things change all the time, but I remember Pags' time in A-Pool after getting his masters at NPS was about 8 months. YMMV.

The Phiz

pilot
I'm trying to figure out how much sunscreen to bring and whether or not I should buy this dirt bike I've been wanting:)

You could always extend your A-Pool fun by making a name for yourself. I heard that Driving Golf-carts into Waffle Houses, and Shooting at Birds can help lengthen your enjoyment. :icon_tong

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Are there JG's who DO this??

Yup. I was "verbally counseled" in the parking lot by an non-winged JG. Not sure why he's even here. Redes? SWO? I didn't bother to ask. I just STFU and colored.

And what I was stating WRT to the one year people: There are folks that were May grads and stashed somewhere for later reporting to NASC. Some people seem to think if you hit one year service, you automatically go the front of the line. It's my understanding that's not case.

Brunes

pilot
Wish I was there to see that- Woulda heckled him for ya. That guy is going "far" in life.

Coastie stories are way different- but I seem to remember the Navy JG who classed up with me got the bump to the earlier in the line...