• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dangerously low fuel levels

Flugelman

Contributor
On Glidepath? Pussies!!! Never touch the gear handle before the marker unless CAT III and then maybe 3-5 miles prior to.. If visual than 5 miles prior which usually coincides with the marker...

I can see where that would simplify things if you had to do one of those DANGEROUS :eek: go-arounds that was the subject of a recent thread here.:D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The ONLY reason I liked to get the rollers down prior to G/S intercept (Day VFR) on the 18-Wheeler was if I got a bad gear indication OR had an ACTUAL gear problem (4-5 times over the years) -- I might have time to "solve" it prior to having to commit to a Wave-off/Go-around. :)

Otherwise ..... around we go and it makes you look bad w/ 400 +/- unwashed sitting behind you.

For me -- it was a % kinda thing ...

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Otherwise ..... around we go and it makes you look bad w/ 400 +/- unwashed sitting behind you.

Don't have this problem (boxes don't bitch).... Heck before they got widebodies (ie.. only Falcons and 72s), it use to 250 kts to the marker (or so I am told).. I have done 250 to a 7 mile visual final in the Bus but was at marker altitude (8 miles in a boeing but was considerably above alt) and barely pulled it off in the bus, easy money in the boeing... [Did 190 kts (A-310) this morning to 'mcghe' and worked just fine... (Rare day flight for my juniority-picked it out of open time).

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Flew with one Captain recently in the 717 that did 320 to 7 miles (...I was going 250 Sheriff.....and yes I said something to the Captain) but we regularly do 250 to 7. Plane slows down nicely. (We have the big continual debate among our pilots about faster than 250 below 10k if > 12 miles offshore.)

We'll put the gear down early sometime to cool them off. They stay warm with our 15-20 minute legs, especially if the last landing was on one of the shorter runways.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....the 717 ....slows down nicely...
The Whale doesn't want to slow down or get down .... I've come out of altitude @ LAX on the SADDE SIX following a TransPAC (for example) and did not come up on the power until I went into REVERSE THRUST upon touchdown/landing ... :eek::D:eek::D

By the time you're out of BAYST or SMO you're usually on the visual ...

SADDE SIX ARRIVAL -- Los Angeles International (LAX)

All that airplane and all that metal and all that weight .... and the ol' girl just wants to FLY!!!

I guess they call that .... ironic. :)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Apparently ... it's "let the good times roll" .... :)

Yesterday, witness a common occurrence overhead Smith Island:

cruisin010gd8.jpg

Heh... looks like you were looking up right about the same time I was. Got a great view of that from the base gym.

-Bubba

On the West Coast we wouldn't always take a full bag out to the boat because we didn't want to dump too much fuel ($$$). Hoover(COD)Pilot already knows this, but it wasn't a matter of safety since we normally dump down to max trap anyway. What he is saying about single engine performance still holds true.

What is max trap?

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I would venture a guess that it's the maximum landing weight without exceeding structural safety margins for the aircraft, at least that's what I gather from the context.

phrogpilot73

sorry i was asking what "max trap" and "dumping down to max trap" means, not what the weight is.
Max trap is the max weight they can safely do an arrested landing based on their current configuration.

Dumping down to max trap is jettisoning fuel to reduce their weight to max trap weight.

I had a hunch that´s what it meant, but I found it hard to believe fuel is just dumped over the ocean. What about the environmental impact?

phrogpilot73

I had a hunch that´s what it meant, but I found it hard to believe fuel is just dumped over the ocean. What about the environmental impact?
The US Military is very cognizant of the environmental impacts of what they do. When they jettison fuel, there are guidelines. If you jettison fuel high enough, it vaporizes so there is little to no environmental impact.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The US Military is very cognizant of the environmental impacts of what they do. When they jettison fuel, there are guidelines. If you jettison fuel high enough, it vaporizes so there is little to no environmental impact.

That doesn't apply over the ocean. You can dump fuel in the downwind (600') at the boat if need be. Just don't dump ON the boat (i.e. in the break).

Over land OPNAV says 6000' AGL is the min unless in an emergency.