• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courtney

I’m thinking about joining the Airforce next year. How dangerous is aviation, really? I hear from people that are afraid of flying that it’s a death trap, while when I talk to pilots they say it’s safer than driving a car. Does anyone have any statistics? What is it really like? An emergency every month? year? Career? Thanks

Hudson

I like to think of it this way. It's not the flying that is Dangerous it is the landing that will get you.

tali264

Well if you're the pilot, I think the safety factor would mostly depend on you and your abilities. Just like driving a car would.

My dad once told me any accident is preventable, even if it's not considered your fault or things happened that were out of your control (this was after I totalled a car [:p]).

In all seriousness, I have no idea what the statistics are. However, if you are going to be in aviation, you can't be scared that every time you go up you might not come back down (in one piece). Have you ever flown in a little plane before? If not, I say go to a flight school and ask them to take you up. You'll get to see how everything works from up front and see everything they're doing. I think the feeling you get from this flight will give you a better indication if you should join the Air Force than seeing a statistic would.

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
My take on it is that everyone will die. Remember...you won't be remembered for how you died (for the most part) but how you lived! If I perished in my aircraft (excluding my C-172) I'd have a smile on my face, knowing that I went for and achieved my dream. That's how you have to look at it.

On average there are about 3 military flight training accidents a week. Of course war is a totally different statistic. There are countless pilots that know more than a few that have perished in the buisiness. You just can't dwell on it, if you do you won't be able to do your job.

The great thing about being a pilot is that your fate is in your hands. If you are a safe pilot then the end result will be safe flying. After you go up a few times you will know deep down inside if flying is for you.

Courtney

Thanks for the info... I have been up in the cockpit of a 767 for a 4hr trip and a nighttime landing, and loved it. I've never been up in anything smaller, or actually touched the controls, but when I see a plane fly over-head I just become fascinated with it. I can spend hours at the airport just watching planes taking-off and landing. I also got the symptom of picking up and reading anything to do with aviation, and being able to remember almost everything I've read. Any diagnosis? Is this how you pilots feel? Or am I just an armchair pilot?

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Yup,sounds like you've been bitten by the bug. Keep rollin with it, go to a local airport and take a discovery flight!

jrklr

No one should go through their life worrying about how dangerous something is or playing the odds of where your more likely to die. You can die anywhere at any time. Do what you truly want and do it without worrying otherwise you're never really living to begin with.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From my very limited experience, I am much more nervous driving around town with idiots than ever in an airplane. Even though pilots/controllers make mistakes, I am reassured by the fact that getting a certification for either is not as easy as achieving a driver's license. Furthermore, I wish that driving standards were higher. I can fly formation with another student pilot with no worries and yet my situational awareness must be perked up when approaching the famed "Yield to Ramp" signs all over this town.

That point deals mainly with interaction between people/objects. On the otherhand, driving in a thunderstorm is much more preferable than flying through one. That's why you have some pre-flight planning unlike driving a car.

Another point: who makes movies with car crashes? I know it sounds a bit petty, but think about how Hollywood portrays aviation accidents. Ever notice how long it takes for a plane on film to have explosive decompression? With all of that wind, flying objects, and sudden loss of lift (because of course the wings and cabin pressurization have so much to do with one another) you wouldn't think that it would really only take a split second.

Dave Shutter

If your worried about flying an old, beaten up T-34 through the loveley and unpredictably violent Gulfcoast weather, wait till you get a load of the drivers down here...far more dangerous!!! My reaction time was the only factor that spared me from three head-on's and a Kamikaze, ten-speed attack on my car on the way to watch the other day...and that was a good day!!!

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If flying wasn't dangerous then it wouldn't be any fun! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
I'm only a 70 hour private pilot (19 years old) but people always ask me "is flying scarry?" and I have never been scared in the plane at all... When you're IN the plane, you don't think about that stuff at all. The only thing entering your mind is flying the plane... you can scare yourself once you get on the ground, and realize the stupid thing you just got done doing... but not in the plane. At least, when you're flying at the speed of smell. :D Although I have come a little too close to hitting my wheels on the roof of a barn conveniently placed a short distance from my local airport.... right on the extended centerline.

Anyway... just my piddly little 2 cents worth! Your love of flight should overcome your fear of flight! In just the last two months there have been some 8 or 9 fatalities at airports I've flown to many times... and they were just GA aircraft! (One happened when the engine failed on takeoff... and the guy decided to do the "180 turn" instead of landing in a 40 acre sod farm straight ahead of the runway!)

Philippians 4:13
Proverbs 16:9
Romans 10:9

Lt_SNA_USMC

Not to put you (or anyone) down, but I think the military route to aviation may just not be for you. I say that just because for anyone who considers military service in any capacity, the question "Is this dangerous?" should not even be in their mind. Totally wrong mindset. Of course it is dangerous. The profession of arms is dangerous. It could become even more dangerous in the next few months too (ie. Iraq). Just something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.