• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cyber Warfare

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Long, but interesting, article on the subject in the New Yorker.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/11/01/101101fa_fact_hersh?currentPag

Lots of folks do not like Seymour Hersh. That said he is brilliant, in my humble view.

As we skip merrily down the yellow brick road, my mind wanders to the recent Stuxnet (or stuxnet like) malware attack on the Bushehr Nuclear facility and wonder how that could have happened. Say it ain't so:icon_rage:icon_rage

Note: I hear that Stuxnet still lingers throughout Iran, infecting many information systems. Collateral damage??

Note1: Hersh's observations on the 5/1/01 EP-3 incident bring back sad memories of the Pueblo capture, undeniably the most devastating loss of National Security Information, probably, in our history. Note the same folks, now departed figuratively, were running the show, e.g., Pueblo and EP-3. Very same mistakes.

SkywardET

Contrarian
This is actually huge news. As in, unbelievably enormous. With all the blustering and everyone in the region calling for the US to attack Iran to end its nuclear program, a simple Cyber cruise missile went in and disabled their entire nuclear program. This is how wars will be fought and lost in the future!

Might I recommend this be moved to Current News? This is bigger than any DADT policy hearing or the North Korea stuff.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the link Chief. Very interesting stuff that sadly most can only speculate about. This is the James Bond stuff of the 21st Century.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
This is actually huge news. As in, unbelievably enormous. With all the blustering and everyone in the region calling for the US to attack Iran to end its nuclear program, a simple Cyber cruise missile went in and disabled their entire nuclear program. This is how wars will be fought and lost in the future!

Might I recommend this be moved to Current News? This is bigger than any DADT policy hearing or the North Korea stuff.

Saw that the other day and it literally blew my mind. Amazing stuff they're coming up with these days and this tech (wherever it came from) is beyond anything I've ever heard of.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Sort of related. Bought a bunch of thumb drives weeks ago, did the routine scan. Found nothing. Used one, long story short, got a keylogger with a Trojan Horse that pinged an IP address that translated to RU but think it probably being redirected to China. My firewall would not let it out but this was one clever piece of work. They are usually in AUTORUN.inf but this one was not.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
....Lots of folks do not like Seymour Hersh. That said he is brilliant, in my humble view.....

Too bad his 'facts' on the first page are full of holes. For starters, I was never attached to NSGA......but then what do I know?

H60Gunner

Contributor
Sort of related. Bought a bunch of thumb drives weeks ago, did the routine scan. Found nothing. Used one, long story short, got a keylogger with a Trojan Horse that pinged an IP address that translated to RU but think it probably being redirected to China. My firewall would not let it out but this was one clever piece of work. They are usually in AUTORUN.inf but this one was not.

What program did you use to find the Trojan?