• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN (Current) SNA switching to SNFO possible?

FinkUFreaky

pilot
As a simulator instructor at TW6, a couple SNFOs have come through the last 6 months that had completed part of pilot primary. While I’ve seen pilot attrites come through before (depending on why they attrited!), these were the first I know of that asked to swap (according to them). It took some time but they were (according to them) switched over, without having attrited from pilot training. This is mainly meant to say that if they will allow someone that has begun the syllabus to swap, they’d probably allow someone that hasn’t.

That said, were I in your shoes, I’d stay where you are. While NFO with TS/SCI and the experience you’d have certainly open a lot of doors, and it’s a great job (preferable to pilot for some), more doors are easily opened on the pilot side. You may think you have no interest in flying airlines etc, but it’s also certainly nice to have options without having to do all the legwork a civilian would have to on your own time/dime.

Also, while I won’t speak for @taxi1 , I think he was hinting at the fact that getting paid (even ENS pay) to do literally nothing but muster, and maybe an occasional quarterdeck watch or something, isn’t that bad of a deal. You’ll miss this time of your life at some point, promise.

taxi1

pilot
...getting paid (even ENS pay) to do literally nothing but muster, and maybe an occasional quarterdeck watch or something, isn’t that bad of a deal. You’ll miss this time of your life at some point, promise.
Where do I apply?

Good on you, @rob_crooso for being productive during the lull. Lots of useful skills to develop. Earn your black belt, take some grad classes, build a boat, get your barber's license. But don't forget to f*** off too.

rob_crooso

As a simulator instructor at TW6, a couple SNFOs have come through the last 6 months that had completed part of pilot primary. While I’ve seen pilot attrites come through before (depending on why they attrited!), these were the first I know of that asked to swap (according to them). It took some time but they were (according to them) switched over, without having attrited from pilot training. This is mainly meant to say that if they will allow someone that has begun the syllabus to swap, they’d probably allow someone that hasn’t.

That said, were I in your shoes, I’d stay where you are. While NFO with TS/SCI and the experience you’d have certainly open a lot of doors, and it’s a great job (preferable to pilot for some), more doors are easily opened on the pilot side. You may think you have no interest in flying airlines etc, but it’s also certainly nice to have options without having to do all the legwork a civilian would have to on your own time/dime.

Also, while I won’t speak for @taxi1 , I think he was hinting at the fact that getting paid (even ENS pay) to do literally nothing but muster, and maybe an occasional quarterdeck watch or something, isn’t that bad of a deal. You’ll miss this time of your life at some point, promise.
I read your response last night and slept on it. Thank you for sharing your experience and advice. You're right that staying on this path keeps many more doors open and that's not a bad thing. I didn't have the foresight to see that.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
If I understand your predicament correctly, you're sitting in the pool waiting to start, correct? Have you done the flying portion of NIFE(?)?

If that's the case, I would hold off on making any major changes. You may fall back in love with it the minute you get the controls of an actual plane. Right now it's all abstract which makes it harder and engenders the sense of concern you have. I'll echo what others have said: stay where you are now. That is the path of least regret. Because of the vagaries of detailing and career timing, the flesh peddlers professionals in Millington have ways to negate some of that 2-3 year advantage you're alluding too.

I frequently questioned whether or not I was making the right choice, and during periods the commitment seemed daunting. But in the end it was entirely worth it. I also found the further I got away from NASC Pensacola (both in time and location), the less concern I had. That's a product of maturity and moving forward in the pipeline. Lots of good advice in this thread, but that's my 2 cents.

wonderb0iwl

Honestly after 8 months you’re at the point of no return and due to class up soon, I would just sit tight. I’m a SNFO in APOOL right now, I get what you mean by the shorter commitment, and I’m medically qualified to be a pilot but applied only NFO because the jobs just sounded a lot more exciting and specialized to me. But there’s a part of me that thinks, what if when I actually get my hands on the controls I realize damn maybe I should have went pilot. Grass is always greener I guess.