• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current Meridian Gouge for Upcoming Tailhook Selectees.

incubus852

pilot
Had a guy PM about whether he should pick Meridian or Kingsville based on two factors. One, he had heard that it's "Wingsville vs. Mettridian." Second, he likes the outdoors.

1.) The attrition rates are fairly similar from what we've been told so far. In fact, (and this might be instructor bias), Kingsville has historically had a higher attrition rate out of the FRS... so maybe winging one person more but losing one person more in the FRS. And at that, they're very VERY low. Lower than what I saw at Primary or API. You really have to fuck up or DOR to get thrown out. Now, I'm not that far into the program so I can't comment on the reality of that statement...

2.) Can't really say what there is to do outdoors in Kingsville besides shoot boars, but there is quite a bit of hiking and tons of fishing/hunting in and around Meridian. So many deer that we've resorted to hitting them with our cars on the way in to work. Whoops. And there is quite a bit of decent hiking.

There is no night life in Meridian. Not even a dirty bird. There's a few shitty shitty shitty shitty (read shitty) bars, but not worth your time, besides seeing them once. For example, a bar called "Your Place;" you bring your own liquor and they provide the mixers... stellar. People usually just end up getting lit in the parking lot. You'll want to hang yourself while your in the pool waiting to class up because there isn't much to do, but once you start it won't matter and you won't care.

We have a mall, which Kingsville apparently doesn't. But Kingsville has Corpus fairly close. We have Jackson, which probably has the same stores as Corpus but doesn't have your friends till in primary going to Farrah's.

Kingsville is incredibly backed up right now. Guys who selected tailhook the same week are starting more than four months apart. I waited about 3 months before I classed up here in Meridian, friends in Kingsville are waiting around 6, almost 7. I would have joined a bird and jumped in an intake.

They're so back up in fact Kingsville is sending students up here to steal our sim time... bastardos.

Finally, the T-45 TRACOMS are spooling up like crazy. Apparently, in the past few years, they have only been operating and outputting at around 60% capacity. They've pulled a bunch of new instructors and are making them fly at least two if not three times a day now and are close to 100% capacity. Students have been told to expect to get through the entire program (assuming you go strike/fighter) in 52 WEEKS. Straight from the Commodore himself of TW-1. Now, how much bullshit that is, we don't know. But that 52 weeks includes 30% downtime for delays/weather/etc. And students are expected to fly/sim twice a day. What used to take a month to get through for BIs/RIs is actually taking guys a little under two weeks... no bull.

So. Just an update. If you have a better perspective/gouge, please jump in. Cheers.

MasterBates

The main driver for K-rock studs going to Meridan for sims has been that K-rock has both 45A and 45C and only 2 working C sims.

Basically, sims were a huge bottleneck when I left Krock about a month ago.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
One, he had heard that it's "Wingsville vs. Mettridian."

Is it me, or is this a lame excuse? If this guy washes out and blames it on because he went to Meridian and how the guys out of Kingsville aren't as good as the guys out of Meridian blah blah blah. I'd come back with "sack up and do well wherever you go. If you fvck it up, it's not because you went to one place or another..."

Second, he likes the outdoors.

Unless he likes studying outdoors, he should get to know the indoors :)

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Given all the backup, I am surprised to hear how fortunate it has been lately for students going after tailhook slots.

I would have guessed slots would be just about impossible to get since Kingsville and Meridian are so overloaded right now.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
The attrition rate is low in advanced jets....both at Meridian and Kingsville. Also, the TRACOM has not been able to meet the output they have been expected to. The FRS has the capacity but the TRACOM cannot turn them out fast enough. The program is supposed to take 52 weeks but they have been exceeding that by 3months. I guess they are trying to be smarter about scheduling and moving guys through. Which squadron are you in? How is morale? The bars in Meridan suck for the most part but you will be ok.

TURBO_dog

Good duty, good form, shutting the f*** up.
pilot
Current state

Here's Kingsville for ya: There's two bars and not much else, but you are close to base and relatively close the Corpus. I've visited Meridian, and that base has many more amenities, including a much nicer golf course if it matters to you.

Yeah, I've been in Advanced for 59 weeks now, but the guys behind me are moving through Phase I much quicker than I did (DEC07-NOV08), so I could easily see them moving to an average time-to-train of 13 months in Kingsville. Alpha's do sims much faster; Charlie's do flights faster b/c they have less maintenance issues.

From what I've heard, Meridian's a little faster, but that can always change, since they're more prone to weather than we are. All in all, the place doesn't matter.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Finally, the T-45 TRACOMS are spooling up like crazy. Apparently, in the past few years, they have only been operating and outputting at around 60% capacity. They've pulled a bunch of new instructors and are making them fly at least two if not three times a day now and are close to 100% capacity. Students have been told to expect to get through the entire program (assuming you go strike/fighter) in 52 WEEKS. Straight from the Commodore himself of TW-1. Now, how much bullshit that is, we don't know. But that 52 weeks includes 30% downtime for delays/weather/etc. And students are expected to fly/sim twice a day. What used to take a month to get through for BIs/RIs is actually taking guys a little under two weeks... no bull.

So. Just an update. If you have a better perspective/gouge, please jump in. Cheers.

And speaking as a RAG instructor/LSO...Everyone else down stream of the TRACOM is left picking up the pieces. Look at any community in TACAIR and the rate of FRS "problem children" is up as well as the number of Fleet Attrites. Faster is not always better.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I've never been to Meridian, other than getting gas. I need a little bit of a night life, some restaurants, decent bars, etc. For us E2/C2 IP types, placement just told me he can get ya in. I turned it down for just being Meridian but if one can deal with nothing to do, you at least get to fly the T-45. Of course if you're a tactical type, I would try to get into VT-86 in P-cola.

MasterBates

Actually, it may help student performance.

When you get scheduled MAYBE twice a week, and fly half that due to broke ass alphas, it hurts the monkey skills and is a de-motivator for studying.

The only times I flew consistently was FCLP/CQ and the last part of forms so I could make the boat.

Raptor2216

I'd like to add that there is a new bar in Meridian and it wasn't half bad. If given the choice to go K-ville vs. Meridian, I'd still pick Meridian. This isn't due to the opening of the new bar but just generally speaking, there's a little more to do here than northern Mexico.

nugget81

pilot
Just like anything else in life, it's all about what you make of the situation. If you want to miserable in Meridian or K-rock, you will be. If you want to have a good time, you can do that too. Sometimes the delays in training are nice, sometimes you just want to fly already. Just roll with the punches people...

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Go Meridian

Sure the town in pretty lame, but there are always guys heading to Pcola for the weekend. New Orleans is also in reach.

As for the training its a great place. We are allowed to practice in our sims and the T-45c (yes its a huge difference) is the only option.

All the instructors up here seem to really care about the performance of the students, and I have not come across a bad instructor yet.

The pace of training right now is really good and they are trying their damndest to get the incomming students out in 52 weeks or less.

The kingsville guys that showed up the same time I did are supposedly running about 3 months or more behind

hornsfan

happy to be here
pilot
The kingsville guys that showed up the same time I did are supposedly running about 3 months or more behind

Thats pretty accurate. I know a guy in Meridian that started last April the same time I did. Hes on the Weps det, Im in baby forms.

Also I dont know if anyone has discussed the sim instructors. Ive heard horror stories about the Meridian sim guys, including one that told a student "he should have been an abortion". The sim guys down here are actually pretty cool - just one more thing to think about.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Also I dont know if anyone has discussed the sim instructors. Ive heard horror stories about the Meridian sim guys, including one that told a student "he should have been an abortion". The sim guys down here are actually pretty cool - just one more thing to think about.

We have a few screamers left over form the "good old days" but its nothing any student worth his salt up here can't handle. Just STFU, do what they are telling you, say yes sir; and you will prob get a one above. Also when I hear about dudes getting 2 aboves in the sim it is usually comming from the toughest instructors.