• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Curious as a cat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
I'm not sure how long you have to wait to apply. Just go see your unit's career planner. He/She should be able to hook you up with plenty of info.

When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I know a Lt that applied for ECP while in boot camp. His series commander found out he already had a BS and sent the app for him. Right after he got to his duty station he shipped to OCS then str8 on to TBS. He is now in Oki running a Comm Plt.

Beetle

Rayman

Wow, that is sweet. Well, I read somewhere that you have to be 'promoted first to SSGT before you can apply for a commissioning', is this true?

dvl_dog_2531

Originally posted by Rayman
I read somewhere that you have to be 'promoted first to SSGT before you can apply for a commissioning', is this true?

Definately not true. Especially since it can take from 6 - 10 years to pick up that rocker. There is no official policy on minimum enlisted grade for application to a commisioning program.

Rayman

So, what you are basically saying is, anybody can apply for commissioning upon graduation from BOOT camp (of course, considering that you have your BS/BA already), is this right?

dvl_dog_2531

As noted above, there are exceptions but in most cases I would think you will not have a competitive application until you have had a chance to prove yourself in the fleet (so probably 6 months after finishing all schooling).

The reason for this is that you need to have your command's endorsement for OCS. Company and Bn. Commanders for MCT or follow on schools generally do not get to know their students on a personal basis and cannot offer a constructive recommendation on a Marine's potential as an officer. Again, there are exceptions, but more commonly you will need to be in the FMF to be a serious candidate.

Good luck. These days enlisting is not the worst way to apply.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Rayman
So, what you are basically saying is, anybody can apply for commissioning upon graduation from BOOT camp (of course, considering that you have your BS/BA already), is this right?

There are other officer programs out there for folks that don't have a degree.

The Lt I mentioned above recieved his acceptence letter for ECP right out of boot camp, so my guess is there is no "wait period".

Beetle

Status
Not open for further replies.