• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crosswinds...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Nice little video on the effects of a 747's jet blast: http://www.wimp.com/crosswinds/

I was flying the mighty Twin Otter out of McCarren in Las Vegas one day. I was just rotating on 19L when the JAL 747-400 on the taxiway next to me decided it was time to do a 180 and go back to the gate. The MFer must have gone to full power on his left engines to help the turn because next thing I knew, I was over 19R and still going sideways. Not fun. Tower was going hysterical and I came back around to have the aircraft checked out for damage and to have the seats cleaned. When I was taxing back in, Ground was really apologetic for having the 747 spin in place from a stop instead of continuing down the taxiway and using a turn off. My plane didn't lose any metal but it had some new ripples in the fuselage skin and one VHF antenna was being held on by its wires. The seat cushion gave me a sore ass for about a week too. Those 747 engines are powerful.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Very nice video.

Glad to hear that ground control was apologetic. Guess they'd have been extra apologetic if you'd lost a wing or flipped it over.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nice video. Looks like Top Gear did what Mythbusters couldn't. I make it a point to download the new Top Gear episode every week from BT. There's just something classy about a show that does needless blurs, filters, and shoots on film...all while "reviewing" cars.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
JAL pilots are not known for their headwork nor (in the last 10 years or so) their skill level, either. I suppose the same can be said for some ground controllers, as well. You were lucky.

The Whale is a beast --- but she's still my baby.

And my second all-time favorite airplane .... :)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
kicking crossinds last night here in Okinawa 38 knots, lots of fun in the PAR pattern, 48 degree crab.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Attention all aircraft, delta easy, FOD on the runway . . .:D

Mythbusters also used a 737 engine, as I recall. Much less thrust.

KBayDog

HAL Pilot said:
Nice little video on the effects of a 747's jet blast:

Why test this with a car behind the engine, when we already had two humans stand behind a plane to absorb the blast AND the wake?

John Cusak did it once. Billy Bob Thornton did it...twice.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nice video. I don't like Myth Busters. They screwed the pouch on a couple stuff that is basic basic physics. That video was cool though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So you're saying you CAN get a girl pregnant by shooting a bullet through your ballsac? ;)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Nice video. I don't like Myth Busters. They screwed the pouch on a couple stuff that is basic basic physics. That video was cool though.

At the risk of a threadjack, what else are you calling them on besides the "bulletproof water?"

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
ghost119 said:
If you turned to face him, you might have just gone airborn. That is if you were light enough. What is your tos(?take-off speed?) in the twin otter?
Vr is about 75 KIAS.

I've seen a Twin Otter on the ramp at the Grand Canyon become airborne in 60 kt winds. Only thing that saved the plane was the chains. It was one of the few times they actually chained the tail along with the wings, otherwise it would have just flipped. It was sitting there about a foot or two off the ground. We were taking bets whether the chains would hold (I lost). The flaps on the Otter are held by hydraulic pressure and after any time on the ground they droop to full down. The thing will fly at 50 knots with full flaps.

About an hour before this, I had landed the plane with 45 kts wind down the runway. I couldn't get the nose wheel down onto the ground until I put the flaps up and turned onto the high speed taxiway. Then I had to be towed in because I couldn't keep it on the ground to taxi and with the barn door of a vertical stab, I couldn't maintain directional control. The winds were forecasted to be 30 knots (normal canyon spring day) and this was totally unpredicted. I didn't have the fuel to go anywhere with any better winds so I had no choice but to land. (Before you ask ghost :D : our normal limit was 40 kts of wind.)

skidkid said:
kicking crossinds last night here in Okinawa 38 knots, lots of fun in the PAR pattern, 48 degree crab.
My max crosswind landing ever was in the Otter with 35 knots on the wing tip. Full aileron/full opposite rudder. Low wing power at idle, high wing power at max. 25 knots above Vref. Once again it was unforecasted winds at the Grand Canyon. There is one thing about canyon flying - you will get good at crosswind landings and handling windshear on final! (Again, before you ask ghost :D : demonstrated crosswind in the Otter is 20 kts at ground level.)