• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the Line of Death by CAPT Grant Begley

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
I was there live for CAPT Grant Begley's dedication speech for the F-14 at the Western Museum of Flight. He was a F-14 RIO in the AO during "Khadaffi's Lake" (Gulf of Sidra) 1981 as well as Operation El Dorado Canyon. I was glued to my seat during this presentation.

Very relevant given what's going on.

[video]http://www.pvseniors.org/Videos/PS_OA%20WMOF%20Crossing%20Line%20of%20Death%200419 08.wmv[/video]

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was there live for CAPT Grant Begley's dedication speech for the F-14 at the Western Museum of Flight. He was a F-14 RIO in the AO during "Khadaffi's Lake" (Gulf of Sidra) 1981 as well as Operation El Dorado Canyon. I was glued to my seat during this presentation.

Very relevant given what's going on.

[video]http://www.pvseniors.org/Videos/PS_OA%20WMOF%20Crossing%20Line%20of%20Death%200419 08.wmv[/video]

Interesting and informative video.

But while he attempts to impress with the planning, coordination, and execution of a single major strike, it was while interesting, not all that impressive despite his multiple dramatic efforts.

What he talks about is a short and isolated incident against a 3rd world country that was very soon, over.

In fact what he describes was actually almost a daily routine over North Vietnam for a large number of Naval Aviators and NFOs. In the end, 6 carriers and their Air-wings were in the Gulf flying combat missions every day. AF B-52s were flying out of Guam and Thailand on exact time-on-targets. AF Thuds and F-4s flew out of the south and Thailand. Lots of spooks did their clandestine stuff, every day. Lot's of shoes did shore bombardment, and plane guard too. Lots of ordies loaded ordinance, and lots of maintenance guys stood on their heads to get a bird up. Many others too.

The AF and the Navy each had three, 30+ aircraft alternating Alpha Strikes a day, every day for many months. And what was routine over North Vietnam, while serious and killed a lot of our aircrews, still was child's play compared to our guys in WWII endured.

I don't know this guy, but I was disappointed when he talks about, "my F-14", and "my radar". Hey, it was the guy behind him who had the radar!
[Edit: I just realized he was an NFO, not a Pilot, so his comment is perhaps even more egregious!]
And a lot of guys who worked on his aircraft, and controllers who guided him, he forgets to mention.

It was a team aircraft, the F-14.... and there was no "my" or "I" in an F-14 team.
And a major strike includes all kinds of unsung heroes.

So color me, not F'n impressed!

But I do like what our guys are doing today against Libya today, albeit limited and restrained (as is probably wise).

BTW, are you related to this guy? Or do you owe him money? Just say'n.;)

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
BTW, are you related to this guy? Or do you owe him money? Just say'n.;)

Nope, it was the 1st time I ever met him. We had mutual coworker acquaintances at Raytheon, but that was about it.

It was for the dedication of the F-14 static display at the Western Museum of Flight at Torrance Airport (Zamperini Field). What I found more interesting (& paid more attention to) was the history of Khadaffi & Libya, because that's what relates to what's going on right now. I already knew it was like clubbing baby seals based on prior accounts...

badger16

None
If you enjoyed it, i'd check out the book "EL Dorado Canyon". It's a great account of not only the mission but the politics/actions pre and post strike. Really gives a great prospective of the relationship between the West ( mostly from a US standpoint) and Libya.