• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the finish line... running, walking or crawling... (Reserve Retirement Process)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
They must have some organized charity work they accomplish?
They do, but many chapters are not as active as they should be. There is a bit of a struggle between old Vietnam War guys who want to stay in charge (and drink) and “younger” OEF/OIF guys who want to change the organization (and probably drink).

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
They do, but many chapters are not as active as they should be. There is a bit of a struggle between old Vietnam War guys who want to stay in charge (and drink) and “younger” OEF/OIF guys who want to change the organization (and probably drink).
That's why I suggested "shopping around" if possible. The first one I joined was mostly Vietnam and Cold War veterans. They were social and drank a bit ($2 beers), but not as organized and a little less charity oriented. Luckily there was another one nearby that I transferred my membership to. I have been to two meetings and learned a lot about the charitable donations they make.

Chuck had a point about VFW membership. This past week they/we voted in someone whose qualifying award was a Global War on Terror medal. I have to assume it was Expeditionary and not Service. Some members were in their salt and pepper VFW uniforms with all their ribbons and I didn't see a qualifying ribbon on most of their uniforms. With fewer and fewer Vietnam vets, the Iraq, Afghanistan, and Persian Gulf (oops, Arabian Gulf) vets should be the majority, but I have not seen that. FWIW, the American Legion seems to be doing a bang up job of recruiting new members. Their ads on Facebook are funny, well targeted, and good quality.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
With all respect, what ever happened to the ODS guys? They should be the leadership/elders at this point in such organizations, save the few Vietnam vets who still get out and about. Did they collectively not participate?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I actually enjoyed the year I spent in Djibouti back in 2014-2015. It was much better than spending another year working 16 hours a day in Iraq like I did back in 2008. My favorite part was the Wardroom with the 2 beers a day.
✌️2 beers✌️ were indeed a very nice perk of the wardroom.

(my bad for necro)

LAMPS Ninja

I love LAMPS?
pilot
How close to the proposed (reserve) retirement date is everybody seeing the "official decision", as of late? I reach the end of my 20th year in December 2024 and am requesting to retire January 2025. Already have my 50 points, not even counting the 15 freebies. Mostly curious at this point how much notice I'll get if it doesn't get approved until after the last year is complete, sticking me with more months of fun than I'd planned.

Last edited:

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
How close to the proposed retirement date is everybody seeing the "official decision", as of late? I reach the end of my 20th year in December 2024 and am requesting to retire January 2025. Already have my 50 points, not even counting the 15 freebies. Mostly curious at this point how much notice I'll get if it doesn't get approved until after the last year is complete, sticking me with more months of fun than I'd planned.
Assuming you are talking about a reserve retirement...

My 20 year letter didn't get to me until three months after I had my 20 years.. I received my 20 year letter in 2017 but didn't retire until January of 2023. The "powers that be" recommended starting the process six months out from when you intend to retire. I started a year out and they barely completed everything a month and a half before retirement. There were circumstances where my retirement packet just sat on someone's desk because it was missing something, and no one notified me. FWIW I was full time in the guard and able to urge things along. I understand the desire to avoid more months of fun, but sticking around could help avoid the out-of-sight out-of-mind aspect. YMMV, but retiring a month after making your 20 good years is probably not going to happen.

Also, my FERS retirement took six months after my 60th birthday to process, despite being turned in 13 months prior.

LAMPS Ninja

I love LAMPS?
pilot
Assuming you are talking about a reserve retirement...

My 20 year letter didn't get to me until three months after I had my 20 years.. I received my 20 year letter in 2017 but didn't retire until January of 2023. The "powers that be" recommended starting the process six months out from when you intend to retire. I started a year out and they barely completed everything a month and a half before retirement. There were circumstances where my retirement packet just sat on someone's desk because it was missing something, and no one notified me. FWIW I was full time in the guard and able to urge things along. I understand the desire to avoid more months of fun, but sticking around could help avoid the out-of-sight out-of-mind aspect. YMMV, but retiring a month after making your 20 good years is probably not going to happen.

Also, my FERS retirement took six months after my 60th birthday to process, despite being turned in 13 months prior.

Yes, reserve retirement. I just edited it to include that detail. Sticking around a few months longer wouldn’t be the end of the world if it’s postponed a little bit, I’m mostly just eager to get to drop the pack all the way.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, reserve retirement. I just edited it to include that detail. Sticking around a few months longer wouldn’t be the end of the world if it’s postponed a little bit, I’m mostly just eager to get to drop the pack all the way.
My retirement date wasn't "officially" approved by Millington until after it had come and gone. It's no big. Inform your unit leadership of your retirement plans, what your requested last date will be, and how you plan to finish out the year, drill-wise. Really so long as they're aware and are good with your plans, and they muster you accordingly, when PERS gets around to stamping it official doesn't make any practical difference.

My experience: my last unit was flex-drill with twice yearly spring/fall MDWEs. I told my skipper at the April MDWE that I was dropping my package for a Jan 1 retirement date, the Oct MDWE would be my last, and that I planned to do a couple of drills and a summer AT (just for the vacation money tbh) in the interim but otherwise was going to more or less put in the clutch and coast the rest of the way. He was good with all, said 23 years was more than enough and thanks for my service. October the unit had a nice retirement plaque and lunch for me. Meantime I told the unit mustering officer what my plans were, and that skipper was good with it, and they rogered up and marked me AA as needed. My request sat in the electronic queue waiting on PERS final approval until mid-Jan. Finally around Jan 10 I got a call from them confirming I wanted my effective date to be 01 Jan, it was marked approved within a day or two, and I got my suitable-for-framing retirement certificate in the mail a week after that.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Maybe a dumb question that's in the 24 pages before, but quick ASOSH question. I started OCS in October, commissioned in January. Looks like they're counting my years from that January date. Did the days from Oct-Jan get "lost" in the points calculation?

subreservist

Maybe a dumb question that's in the 24 pages before, but quick ASOSH question. I started OCS in October, commissioned in January. Looks like they're counting my years from that January date. Did the days from Oct-Jan get "lost" in the points calculation?

Some info is missing here. OCS is for active duty, so I take you mean ODS for reserves?

My understanding is you have to be gained first into the reserves and then schedule ODS after that gain.

You need to add more context. What was your status (active/reserve/civ) prior to going in October.

If you do think there is some type of error, just provide a copy of your orders/DD214 etc to admin of your unit and they can submit to PERS to correct.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Your time on active duty should start the moment you begin travel to OCS. For me, that was about three days prior to my class-up date. That should be reflected on your DD214 and LES. If it's not lining up, just talk to your admin and manpower departments to submit corrections to Millington and/or DFAS.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I’ve been told that ASOSH is unofficial point capture, and can be missing points. NSIPS is the authoritative point capture….but yeah you should look into that to make sure you aren’t shorted any service.
Some info is missing here. OCS is for active duty, so I take you mean ODS for reserves?

My understanding is you have to be gained first into the reserves and then schedule ODS after that gain.

You need to add more context. What was your status (active/reserve/civ) prior to going in October.

If you do think there is some type of error, just provide a copy of your orders/DD214 etc to admin of your unit and they can submit to PERS to correct.
He’s a pilot. Pilots don’t go to ODS. He started his career on active duty and sounds like he later finished his career in the reserves.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
My ASOSH reflects differently. Signed my contract in December, has some verbiage about delayed entry E5 status. I wasn't BDCP or anything, just no dates available so I didn't start OCS till May, commissioned in August. My reserve anniversary in ASOSH is based on the December date with some reserve membership points prior to showing to OCS. So based on that I'll hit 20 good years 8 months prior to my commission anniversary. Sounds like one of our records is f*cked up.