• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cross-country to airshow near your hometown?

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Rarely if ever in the P-3 world. I can't speak for other fleet platforms but I would imagine it's similar.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Once you get through flight training and are qualified to fly your assigned aircraft, how often do you get to fly a cross country to X location of your 'choice' and stay there over the night/weekend?

If you could get some desired training X's on the way and find the other crew to go where you wanted to go, maintenance has a jet that they don't need back at a firm time for phase or something and there was money to fly you can generally put it together. In my day it all came together a couple times a year.

MasterBates

TRACOM?

I've been "home" once.. And places where I wanted to go a lot.

Fleet?

2 Fleet Tours. ZERO "non work related" XCs (JAX-AUTEC, Norfolk-Fallon etc). Metric ass-ton of out/ins in helo land. Slightly less so in E-2s due to starting requirements (we cannot start without external power and air carts)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
If you could get some desired training X's on the way and find the other crew to go where you wanted to go, maintenance has a jet that they don't need back at a firm time for phase or something and there was money to fly you can generally put it together. In my day it all came together a couple times a year.

Not anymore. There's gotta be some kind of exercise, or Websan's gotta be blowing main mounts on touch and goes and destroying the short field gear for us to stay anywhere cool on the road. BTW, pretty glad we went to Key West instead of Warner Robbins that day.

KBayDog

Not too many "good deal" cross-countries in Marine helo land. (Stinky, this is where you pipe in and tell me how awesome the Reserves are.)

Frankly, there just isn't time built into TEEPs to make it happen. You're either deployed, or working up for deployment, most of the time. During the "down time" between deployments/workups, you're busy as hell supporting WTI, EMV, and the various frags from SOTG/MEF/etc. When you're not doing that, you're days are spent training - getting copilots trained up, advancing flight leadership, etc. (The T&R manuals are specific in their requirements, and typically don't include day VFR joyriding.) Oh, and in the white space between deployments, workups, WTI, EMV, frags, and training, your maintainers and FCPs are busy un-breaking the birds (yes, that typically means weekends and holidays). The closest thing you'll usually get to a good-deal cross-country is an aircraft ferry (Miramar to Cherry Point for SDLM was always a pretty good time).

In fact, the few "good deal" cross-countries I've been on were during some post-deployment down time (on weekends, of course) when Ops was behind on the flight hour program, and we had some TAD funds available to facilitate flights for instrument mins, urban nav, etc.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not too many "good deal" cross-countries in Marine helo land. (Stinky, this is where you pipe in and tell me how awesome the Reserves are.)

It's not just the Marine Reserves...

Wait, you mean this gray helicopter is NOT meant to be my own personal transport around the country?