• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

cross countries

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I have fond memories of planning a vnav route with an IP in a podunk Arkansas FBO with a sectional and a highlighter. To the studs, don't be afraid to ask the IP what they want in terms of planning. Work smarter, not harder.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess it's different in pilot land in terms of cross countries. In VT-4 I ended up going to St Louis one weekend when an IP walked into the student ready room on Wednesday or so and told me I was going to St Louis that weekend.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I have fond memories of planning a vnav route with an IP in a podunk Arkansas FBO with a sectional and a highlighter. To the studs, don't be afraid to ask the IP what they want in terms of planning. Work smarter, not harder.
A U.S. Government black ballpoint pin used to equal 200 nm on a high enroute chart. "10 and 1/2 pen lengths so 2100 miles, 300 miles an hour so call it 7 hours. 55k gas on board, 6k an hour so we need 42 plus another 6 reserves.....we're good, let's go."

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I still use my GI Skilcraft inkpen prior to running OPARS. It's the pre-insanity check.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I guess it's different in pilot land in terms of cross countries. In VT-4 I ended up going to St Louis one weekend when an IP walked into the student ready room on Wednesday or so and told me I was going to St Louis that weekend.
No, it works that way in pilot-land also. The students can request a CCX, but an IP has to want to go. More often it's the IP's that figure out where they want to go and a kid gets assigned.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Go where you want/ can in flight school. Once you get in the fleet, flying from point A to B without doing anything tactical doesn't really count as a cross country, so it won't get approved. That means you don't do XC's very far from home.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I did 2 in SNFO primary, 2 in T-39 Intermediate (one of which was a drunken 5 day CONA XC to DC) and was supposed to have one in the RAG but plane broke.....so still waiting on that.

In Primary I went to Orlando, FL (shot an approach at Kennedy Space Center - THAT was awesome for me) and St. Simon Island Georgia. In the T-39 went to Denver, CO and DC.

MasterBates

Go where you want/ can in flight school. Once you get in the fleet, flying from point A to B without doing anything tactical doesn't really count as a cross country, so it won't get approved. That means you don't do XC's very far from home.
This.

In two fleet tours, I never did a single cross country that was not flying somewhere for a det

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
This.

In two fleet tours, I never did a single cross country that was not flying somewhere for a det

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Pity.

You should have tried a station gig. Last weekend I got 23 hours on the road. Coast to coast, Gulf of Mexico, the Rocky Mountains, and as far north as Sioux Falls.

The longest delay was in Indianapolis where we stopped to go see the NASCAR race.

This weekend will only be a one nighter, so probably only 12 or so hours.

phrogpilot73

Marines are more fun to go on the road with. I said it.
No shit sherlock. We repress our happiness/partying around other Marines. Get us on the road and all bets are off.

I did one CCX in Primary and one in Advanced. Primary was to Maryland (to visit my folks), and Advanced was to Little Rock, AR.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Concur about finding an IP EARLY and often. I had two onwings (one on the cruces det and in Corpus) both of whom were snapped up by other onwings of theirs during my CCX weekend. I got thrown to the "CCX pool" wolves. I ended up flying mine with a notoriously douchey E-6 guy who simply wanted to go home for the weekend, so while my buddies went to NOLA/Key West/San Diego etc, I went to fucking Dallas, from Corpus. Yay..... fun. I distinctly remember him saying douchey shit like "I hope you guys have plans... we can't be seen hanging out with ENSIGNS!" or some such nonsense, and bitching at me for being off altitude by 60 feet when I was nose down and climbing, fighting a recently passed convective SIGMET's retarded up and downdrafts. It was a weekend of fun!

dtxz

Looks Lost
pilot
If you go to Corpus, do the tour de Texas and end up in Austin. I'm sure flying low levels through the Rockies is cool but here's what makes Austin so great... you can fly as many approaches as you want or wind all around on a vnav route and never really have to worry about gas. Fly into Bergstrom at 3-4pm, drive downtown (15 minutes), check-in to your hotel, take a nap pregame, and you still have tons of time to eat a good meal and party your face off. Friends can drive up and meet you... bonus points.

"Hey, I'm ENS Dumbass--nice to meet you, too. Oh cool, in your 4th year at UT? Us? No, no, we're just here for the weekend. No, we live in Corpus. Just flew our planes up for the weekend." Hour later, you're in a cab en route to her apartment. Oh yeah, and then there's Saturday...

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
If you go to Corpus, do the tour de Texas and end up in Austin. I'm sure flying low levels through the Rockies is cool but here's what makes Austin so great... you can fly as many approaches as you want or wind all around on a vnav route and never really have to worry about gas. Fly into Bergstrom at 3-4pm, drive downtown (15 minutes), check-in to your hotel, take a nap pregame, and you still have tons of time to eat a good meal and party your face off. Friends can drive up and meet you... bonus points.

"Hey, I'm ENS Dumbass--nice to meet you, too. Oh cool, in your 4th year at UT? Us? No, no, we're just here for the weekend. No, we live in Corpus. Just flew our planes up for the weekend." Hour later, you're in a cab en route to her apartment. Oh yeah, and then there's Saturday...

You can use that same line every time you DRIVE up from corpus on a weekend. Everything you say at the bar doesnt have to be 100% true.