• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

cross countries

austinp126

How do cross countries work these days? Will I do any in primary or not until advanced? Haven't even started API yet but just curious. Thanks

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Most likely one in Primary, 2+ in advanced depending on which pipeline you select. Good deals all around.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I went on two in primary, 3 so far in advanced (and I caught a NALO/Com Air to the weps dets and the boat det). It's really all about timing.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
I did two in SNFO primary. One to Scottsdale, AZ another to New Orleans, LA. All around two COMPLETELY different types of places but were both an absolutely great time.

BUDU

You can do cross-countries in SNFO Primary once you've completed your night contact flight and your first four instrument flights.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I did one in T-34's, 6 in T-45's, and 3 in the Hornet FRS. I fully crossed the continent 3 times while in advanced. Mileage will vary, just depends on luck and timing, and how your ops department wants to work scheduling/production. I highly recommend going on as many as you can, as you learn a lot more than you would just doing the flights locally. CCX's by nature are kind of by the seat of the pants planning wise, and they show you a lot of things that you wouldn't normally see at home.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
2 in primary, but i was pretty lucky. most guys are getting one in primary nowadays, however I know one or two guys who didnt get one at all. advanced should have at least one. ymmv, as always

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Right now most guys are getting one if they're eligible. Occasionally a student will get two if there's a gaggle going somewhere. Those with lower NSS's are generally kept at home. It's much easier going on the road with a strong student.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
They can be painful too. For instance if you suck and/or your primary IP decides to get all stupid on you - then it can not be fun. Not speaking from experience or anything. :eek:

Sounds bassackwards but if you are more flexible and planned less then you usually had a better experience all around. You could always tell which instructors were favored more by students by how many cross countries they were asked to go on.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Marines are more fun to go on the road with. I said it.

And yes, don't even try to plan for the cross country. Show a solid brief on day 1, hr 0, and then just be flexible and not retarded in the airplane. You WILL get to do cool things that you would never get to do in the local area. You will probably get most of the syllabus requirements done in the first day or even the first flight, and then can just mainly coast on good judgement, and showing that you have the ability to be a bro. Your santa claus/sugar daddy/big bro in the back wants some flight time too.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Marines are more fun to go on the road with. I said it.

And yes, don't even try to plan for the cross country. Show a solid brief on day 1, hr 0, and then just be flexible and not retarded in the airplane. You WILL get to do cool things that you would never get to do in the local area. You will probably get most of the syllabus requirements done in the first day or even the first flight, and then can just mainly coast on good judgement, and showing that you have the ability to be a bro. Your santa claus/sugar daddy/big bro in the back wants some flight time too.

This. Maybe plan the first leg, but don't be shocked when that doesn't work out. And I really, really don't care about your jet logs. Ever.

I remember staying up late the night before to finish our planned VNAV legs IAW the FTI, and about five minutes after we briefed those were in the garbage in favor of a different route.

The trip itself was a good time, except that we had to divert.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Find an IP that you want to go on the road with, then find a place to go. Don't do this in reverse. If you want to go to Bumblefuck County South Dakota and only one IP is willing to go there, odds are that he never gets to go on the road because nobody ever asks him. That's why he's willing to go with you to the middle of nowhere.

There's a reason for that. He's probably a douche.