• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Creating a better Officer Corps

But if you want a "work hard in the things you are told to work hard on and be compensated" place then it does fine.

A lot of what people are complaining about in here makes no sense to me (and I'm a guy who stepped off the tracks after 11 years and did my own thing). If you have your dream of weeding out all the below average people as soon as possible (surprise: 50% of you are below average!), then you will immediately progress to the blue-on-blue of all your "top players" competing against each other. Unless of course, you don't want people under the same reporting senior to be forced to compete against each other? Or maybe you want the people who survive the first cut to be on easy street forever? The same concept applies to people complaining about trait scores and averages. As pointless as some parts of our FITREP system are, the fact that reporting seniors are held accountable for their trait averages and can't just call everybody 5.0 is one of the few parts that genuinely work (assuming the RS is smart enough to understand that from the beginning and doesn't shoot people in the head out of ignorance/stupidity...).

Overall, I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly some of you are looking for. While I have met O-5s who were unprepared to command squadrons, I've never met an O-3 who was actually ready (though I met a lot who thought they were). The most-unhappy campers I ran across in 20 years were the guys who kept getting told "You're doing great, keep it up!" in their FITREP debriefs, while their trait score vs. RS average and ranking were clearly pack or pack-minus. The problem isn't that the FITREP system doesn't serve to identify who the Navy wants to promote and who the Navy wants to select for its good deals* - the system does that just fine. The problem is that people either aren't taught or won't believe the gouge on what their FITREPs and billet choices actually mean. That is what creates the unhappiness when people who think they are doing great discover that the Navy has already judged them wanting.

TL/DNR: The Navy doesn't care about your ambitions or what you think adequate compensation is. But if you think the Navy's rewards for ambitions are just fine, then you can earn them by following the path the Navy tells you to.

* Whether or not the golden path is a good deal is a different discussion. YMMV.

Maybe I don't get it... why don't/can't CO's give a second-job, 16 months in the squadron superstar LT a higher ranking than a last job 40 months LT who just fills a flight suit? Personally I would be "looking for" less gamesmanship and a more honest evaluation of the value of that employee.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Smoke,
There is no technical reason why a CO can't rank anyone where he pleases, when he pleases. The challenge comes in deciding whose career you're going to advance at the expense of someone else, whose career you're probably going to terminate. For example, suppose your hypothetical oxygen thief LT was performing his job better than your nugget O-3 on the CO's first FITREP cycle at the squadron. No fault of the newbie, he's just learning how to function at that squadron and at that level. At the second FITREP cycle under your command, you decide to move the nugget ahead of the no-load in the rankings. That more senior O-3 will now show declining fitness reports under the same reporting senior...kiss of death on a selection board. Now you have a "walking dead" LT at the squadron who has no real motive to show up to work, as he's just waiting for the formality of another selection until he FOSx2 and is asked to leave. Everyone on the boards understands pretty much understands the constraints of the trait averages. They simply aren't granular or relevant enough to break out the real performers. Where CO's earn their money is writing the narrative to accurately reflect current performance relative to peers, and to identify those who are worthy of attention by the board.
R/

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It is inarticulate and dishonest. It makes official Navy personnel documentation less than an accurate reflection of reality. It leaves those docs open to misrepresentation, and in the worse case, misunderstanding by the member himself.
I'll concede that this is a minor change that would be easy to make, and would save members the effort from having to use books written on fitreps/eval reporting guidelines to decode the language, but I just don't see how it would be functionally different in regard to selecting the best and the brightest for promotion. Isn't that the main gripe here, that the system is not selecting the proper people or that good performers sometimes get shafted out of an EP or a #1 of X simply due to luck and timing?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Maybe I don't get it... why don't/can't CO's give a second-job, 16 months in the squadron superstar LT a higher ranking than a last job 40 months LT who just fills a flight suit? Personally I would be "looking for" less gamesmanship and a more honest evaluation of the value of that employee.

What if you flip it the other way? What if you show up to the squadron and someone who is only a few weeks senior to you (in the command, I mean), or worse, slightly junior to you (for the sake of FITREPS) and they get the nod much earlier than is considered the norm? You'd live in a world of a glass ceiling. No matter how hard you worked and how good a job you did, you'd never be able to get the paper to prove it.

This exact situation happened to me at the beginning of my DH tour. Obviously the question of whether the other person was as good as their paper indicated is a matter of discussion but none of that mattered since the paper had already been generated, blocking the rest of us, regardless of how motivated we may have been.

I've never been one to show up to work in order to make sure I ended up with a good FITREP, but when you see that you can't get one of the important jobs and even if you do, you have little hope of being professionally recognized for it, it makes life in the squadron frustrating.

Smoke,
That more senior O-3 will now show declining fitness reports under the same reporting senior...kiss of death on a selection board. Now you have a "walking dead" LT at the squadron who has no real motive to show up to work, as he's just waiting for the formality of another selection until he FOSx2 and is asked to leave.
R/

The question to me is the cost/benefit of keeping many of the most ambitious and talented people driven or risking a few months of an already C performer suddenly "working" a half hour less a day and giving you a C-. The middling work ethic/talent seemingly get well taken care of at the expense of what could be truly exceptional careers. I have never seen it from the command-level side so I don't *really* know. But my pieces of exposure to the system were almost completely about these kind of games... whose turn it was, etc, and much, much less so about the underlying actual professional contribution. I am surprised that the leadership doesn't give a commissioned officers/aviators more credit than to assume they will actually quit.

No matter how hard you worked and how good a job you did, you'd never be able to get the paper to prove it.

Well this is kind of my point... why not? Sounds like the CO bucked norms already with the early nod, but then is beholden to norms regarding trends?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well this is kind of my point... why not?

Because the CO wasn't an idiot and knew how the game was played. The person was a community darling and with institutional inertia...

Sounds like the CO bucked norms already with the early nod, but then is beholden to norms regarding trends?

Not quite. Admittedly the situation was a little different since it was a RC squadron, but the end result was as I described it. The person was already in the squadron, but in a completely different reporting group. When the person joined our reporting group, the clock should have been reset, since the person "came in" to the reporting group after several of us had already been there. But because the person had a rep, the person skipped to the head of the line, and would have had to stay there for 2 1/2 years (!).

I know what you may be thinking... "But Gatordev, maybe you just have sour grapes and the person deserved to go to the head of the line."

If you knew the rest of the story, you'd know that wasn't really the case and the person was eventually "removed from the problem."

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...The challenge comes in deciding whose career you're going to advance at the expense of someone else, whose career you're probably going to terminate...That more senior O-3 will now show declining fitness reports under the same reporting senior...kiss of death on a selection board. Now you have a "walking dead" LT at the squadron...Where CO's earn their money is writing the narrative to accurately reflect current performance relative to peers, and to identify those who are worthy of attention by the board.
R/

This is exactly what I was talking about, and why I believe numerical averages and rankings need to go away. They artificially constrain COs in their honest evaluations of officers under their command, and since everyone knows it, they have no real value. And the narrative is equally worthless; the Tank has so little time to review fit reps for each person on a board, everything but the first and last lines get glossed over.

Consider that an officer may have much more opportunity to shine in an earlier part of a tour. Say, LTJG Joebags is a branch officer with a no-load LPO, a divvo who's having medical issues and is gone frequently, and an overworked DH who can't give Joe the care and feeding he should be getting. And say Joebags picks up the slack and performs well beyond his years. The BEST he can hope for come fitrep time is a 5.0 mark or two and a nice line in the narrative. Fast forward to the end of his tour when there's been a changeover of DHs and front office. He's AOPS under an OPSO who has his shit together and doesn't delegate much. Joebags does a good job, but doesn't have opportunity to stand out, and could very easily get tagged with a #3 MP depending on his contemporaries, who skipper likes, etc.

So in this example, which is not an unusual set of circumstances, his earlier shit-hot performance will get plowed under by that last fit rep, and that's where the bullshit of "luck and timing" comes in. He has to count on the really busy guy who preps his record for the board carefully reading between the lines of all his fitreps. And that's, frankly, horseshit. Promotion and screening should not depend on everyone knowing the code words and "knowing how to read them".

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
an overworked DH who can't give Joe the care and feeding he should be getting.
there's a broad chasm between "can't" and "won't".

He's AOPS under an OPSO who has his shit together and doesn't delegate
You've described multiple levels of failure here.

A few observations (none of which will ever get me an invite to the cool kid spin-off website) :rolleyes::

- one person's "shit hot" is another person's fleet average.
- when you swim in big ponds there are more fish to compete with (tacair -vs- MPRA).
- the navy gets it wrong sometimes.
- the navy gets it right enough to execute the mission.
- the grass isn't necessarily greener on the outside. seriously, ask some of your buds.

Last edited:

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Consider that an officer may have much more opportunity to shine in an earlier part of a tour. Say, LTJG Joebags is a branch officer with a no-load LPO, a divvo who's having medical issues and is gone frequently, and an overworked DH who can't give Joe the care and feeding he should be getting. And say Joebags picks up the slack and performs well beyond his years. The BEST he can hope for come fitrep time is a 5.0 mark or two and a nice line in the narrative. Fast forward to the end of his tour when there's been a changeover of DHs and front office. He's AOPS under an OPSO who has his shit together and doesn't delegate much. Joebags does a good job, but doesn't have opportunity to stand out, and could very easily get tagged with a #3 MP depending on his contemporaries, who skipper likes, etc.

So in this example, which is not an unusual set of circumstances, his earlier shit-hot performance will get plowed under by that last fit rep, and that's where the bullshit of "luck and timing" comes in. He has to count on the really busy guy who preps his record for the board carefully reading between the lines of all his fitreps. And that's, frankly, horseshit. Promotion and screening should not depend on everyone knowing the code words and "knowing how to read them".
The way that the system is designed, it seems like flags would put the failure on your CO for not placing the JO in the right billet rather than the system being broken. If someone is doing a shit-hot job and can accept more responsibility, why put him in a job where he won't be challenged? I also still don't see the connection with this and the fitrep writeup having code words.

I think the real problem is when a guy who shows up very shortly before another guy gets a better ranking early on which can never be 'undone' without ending his career, and the slightly-more-junior-at-that-command guy will never get that #1 EP because they'll both transfer within about 6 months of each other.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The way that the system is designed, it seems like flags would put the failure on your CO for not placing the JO in the right billet rather than the system being broken. If someone is doing a shit-hot job and can accept more responsibility, why put him in a job where he won't be challenged? I also still don't see the connection with this and the fitrep writeup having code words.

I think the real problem is when a guy who shows up very shortly before another guy gets a better ranking early on which can never be 'undone' without ending his career, and the slightly-more-junior-at-that-command guy will never get that #1 EP because they'll both transfer within about 6 months of each other.
No amount of hard work or ass kissing will make up for timing.

Or, it's better to be lucky than good.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

Great way to run our officer corps. We don't even promote our enlisted with such a stupid fucking system.

If only there were a group of highly educated tactical professionals who could figure out the best way to train and promote their successors.

jmcquate

Contributor
Performance evals/FitReps are by there very nature biased. More is expected of some employees than others by supervisors. It's a flawed system both in the military world as well as the civilian. It's worse on the civilian side. The folks who work for you who are good will strive to get better and take criticism in a constructive way. The others will get vindictive and feel that you are taking money out of their pocket.............then lawyers get involved, and as a supervisor you learn to rubber stamp the evals.

BigRed389

None

And again...if you want to fix the system, you need to understand that the people running the asylum are the real problem and the solution. If a CoC can't figure out how to keep a hot runner moving along and work them without fucking them on something they can control like timing, how can you trust them to not screw up a "new and improved system?"