• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

SlickAg

pilot
How do the positive test correlate to the number of test given? Some post of the other sites show that as testing has increased the number of positive test have increased, that would be interesting data to look at.
I don’t know. Do some research and report back here? I’ve read some stuff that says it’s going up slightly, but the cases are much more asymptomatic or mild, and thus less long-lasting and fatal. Time will tell though.

Interesting to see the national media panic about Houston’s ICU bed availability, while the CEOs of the four major hospital groups in the county are saying not to worry. Covid patients represent 25% of the ICU beds right now, and Texas just paused elective surgeries. Anecdotally, people I know here that work in the medical field here are saying this is getting blown out of proportion.

I read an article that some researchers in south Florida think that the virus is attenuating, but also becoming smarter and spreading more easily. Additionally, I saw a graphic today (posted by a Fox News medical correspondent, Dr. Nicole Sapphier, strongly recommend following her on social media) that showed how this case increase is happening across basically all southern and southwestern states right now and is likely to do with hotter temperatures forcing people inside where the virus spreads easier.

Which, again, doesn’t make sense to close outdoor things and force people inside. Cool, non-humid contained places, such as air-conditioned homes in southern states, apparently provide some of the best conditions for viral spread.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I don’t know. Do some research and report back here?

I read an article that some researchers in south Florida think that the virus is attenuating, but also becoming smarter and spreading more easily. Additionally, I saw a graphic today (posted by a Fox News medical correspondent, Dr. Nicole Sapphier, strongly recommend following her on social media) that showed how this case increase is happening across basically all southern and southwestern states right now and is likely to do with hotter temperatures forcing people inside where the virus spreads easier.

Which, again, doesn’t make sense to close outdoor things and force people inside.

I have a few friends that post updates on numbers and rates, next time I see the update I will copy and paste here.

There is a story about the rising numbers in CA where the increase in cases is being attributed to people being inside more, and in FL they had a story about many cases being linked to bars, they didn't talk about the heat aspect, however what the Doctor is saying makes sense and would would track with what is being seen.

Edit: I just looker her up, if she is the one I found I would follow her anywhere :D

SlickAg

pilot
I have a few friends that post updates on numbers and rates, next time I see the update I will copy and paste here.

There is a story about the rising numbers in CA where the increase in cases is being attributed to people being inside more, and in FL they had a story about many cases being linked to bars, they didn't talk about the heat aspect, however what the Doctor is saying makes sense and would would track with what is being seen.

Edit: I just looker her up, if she is the one I found I would follow her anywhere :D
Great story too. Got pregnant her senior year of high school, single mom through college and med school. She’s reasonable, smart, and doesn’t talk down to non-medical professionals. Additionally, she thinks a lot of America’s woes would be better solved through exercise and nutrition vice pharmacologically.

And like I said, great Instagram feed.

SlickAg

pilot
Lindsey Rosales, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of State Health Services, confirmed to Just the News this week that the state is categorizing every inpatient in the state with a positive COVID-19 test as a COVID-19 hospitalization.

"The number of hospitalized patients includes patients with a lab-confirmed case of COVID-19 even if the person is admitted to the hospital for a different reason," Rosales said.

Asked if inpatients in the state are tested for COVID-19 whenever they arrive for treatment, Rosales said, "Hospitals set their own protocols for determining when and if to test patients for COVID-19."

She said the state does not keep track of the patients hospitalized with the coronavirus versus those hospitalized specifically because of it.”

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Additionally, she thinks a lot of America’s woes would be better solved through exercise and nutrition vice pharmacologically.
This is absolutely true and I’ve been waiting for a POTUS to take it seriously. The issue is not only a health care issue, but also a state and federal budget issue, and a kitchen table economic issue.

Last edited:

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
This current media storm is a bit of a lesson in communication. Our political leaders tried to 'sell' the shutdown with 'stay home, save lives' when that was never the goal or even an achievable aim. So the mass public had an expectation that a few months of stocking up on toilet paper was going to ride out the storm and everything would be rainbows and unicorns by August.

In reality we're only roughly 1/4-1/3 the way through the pandemic (based on estimated PFR vs current). Staying home doesn't make it go away, it just makes the pandemic last longer. An increase in cases is to be expected, as are a total number of fatalities exceeding 300,000 people. No one is candidly talking about this. Maybe if they were we wouldn't see all the Karens not wearing masks because 'my civil rights.'

The only part that should be alarming, if any, is if the increase is grossly exceeding projections.

For the Navy that's quarantining sailors from the public, the flare up is just going to come later.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
This current media storm is a bit of a lesson in communication. Our political leaders tried to 'sell' the shutdown with 'stay home, save lives' when that was never the goal or even an achievable aim.
There are lots of countries that have achieved that goal. When the vaccine finally shows up, they will have saved many thousands of their citizens’ lives while having allowed their economies to get going again now.

Lots that have grossly missed the mark too, including us. Scroll through...

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
There are lots of countries that have achieved that goal....

Lots that have grossly missed the mark too, including us.
You're still talking raw numbers instead of PFRs and IFRs. Since we can't test everyone randomly we can only go by PFR as a lower bound of IFR. Also it's still early. There's another flu season coming where this will still be in full swing. People will travel for Thanksgiving and Christmas, spreading the disease to the populations that haven't built herd immunity. Don't pull a George Bush and declare victory when the war rages on.

The southeast is getting hit hard largely because all the infected (and now immune) people from the tri-state area are taking their summer vacations, as are people from the south. School ended 2 weeks ago.

Sweden is often cited as 'winning' - except their PFR of 0.05% is worse than the US of 0.03%. And Sweden is still seeing new cases.

The PFR for a country with access to adequate healthcare is estimated to be 0.1-0.5%. That's the lower bound- it can only get worse. And we won't know who actually did better or worse until 2022.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
When does the news media acknowledge that the virus was possibly edited in and leaked from a lab in Wuhan? :)

Last edited:

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
This is absolutely true and I’ve been waiting for a POTUS to take it seriously. The issue is not only a health care issue, but also a state and federal budget issue, and a kitchen table economic issue.

Did we get rid of the Presidential Fitness Award for kids in school? My daughter is only two so I guess I haven't thought about it in a long time but if so we need to bring that back. Getting those blue patches were awesome. Although today it'd probably make some fat kid feel bad and not making kids feel bad is more important than rewarding those deserving of it.