• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This guy is a columnist for the New York Times.

And yes, he’s being serious.

There are plenty of states in that map that have followed more restrictive polices than many in the south, and are doing just as well. Likewise, there are plenty of states who have followed less restrictive polices that are worse off than some who are more restrictive. Confused? Well it isn't just my poor ability to communicate. It is confusing because there is NOTHING reliably consistent about how the virus spreads, is treated or abated. Just pointing to a certain shade in one part of our very large country is hardly scientific analysis. Thanks to USA Today and their invention of factoids and multi color charts for helping reduce critical thinking in our population.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
There are plenty of states in that map that have followed more restrictive polices than many in the south, and are doing just as well. Likewise, there are plenty of states who have followed less restrictive polices that are worse off than some who are more restrictive. Confused? Well it isn't just my poor ability to communicate. It is confusing because there is NOTHING reliably consistent about how the virus spreads, is treated or abated. Just pointing to a certain shade in one part of our very large country is hardly scientific analysis. Thanks to USA Today and their invention of factoids and multi color charts for helping reduce critical thinking in our population.
It’s almost like this virus is not normal and more resistant and easily spread.. Almost like it’s a result of Gain of Function research ?

kunks

None

Big news from Pfizer. An effective therapeutic should put both the pandemic and battles over vaccines/boosters to rest

Serious question for anyone in the medical world. Maybe @Tycho_Brohe How is who gets the placebo treatment decided? This is really good news but seven people lost their lives because they didn't get to take a medication? That seems a little fucked to me? "Good for us but fuck those poor bastards"

There's no way some person decides this and it's not a roll of the dice but it seems so odd to me that at some point medical professionals were like "hey so the next 40 people that are on deaths door half will get this thing that will likely save them and the other half..."

If this is truly the way that shit works in the medical world can someone please tell which medical organizations and facilities do stuff like this so I can avoid them?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Usually a double-blind study if done right. Neither the doctor or the patient know which they are getting, it’s a roll of the dice.
As for the patients who died, it’s voluntary with informed consent. They would probably view it as a sacrifice in the name of science…

taxi1

pilot
that at some point medical professionals were like "hey so the next 40 people that are on deaths door half will get this thing that will likely save them and the other half..."
I know they’ve cut off studies early when it’s become super obvious that the treatment works, for what you’re saying. It’s a hot topic.

Mirage

pilot
It's an untested product. They are doing an experiment on the patients. The fact that 7 died with a placebo isn't known until afterwards. It's also possible the reverse would be the case and the drug could give everyone who took it some other deadly disease and everyone would wish they were in the placebo group.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
If this is truly the way that shit works in the medical world can someone please tell which medical organizations and facilities do stuff like this so I can avoid them?
It's actually pretty simple- your doc asks you if you'd like to participate in a study of an experimental drug/treatment/etc. It happens with cancer patients, for example. You answer yes or no.

Or you initiate the conversation by asking your doc about some experimental treatment you heard about, and would it be possible for you to participate in the research?

The nature of that kind of research is it's hard to tell, with absolute certainty, that it's either time to cut off the study or that it definitely needs to be seen all the way through, notwithstanding compelling evidence of efficacy (as @taxi1 linked). Hindsight is easy but reality is making a big decision based on incomplete information.

kunks

None
Thanks guys appreciate it, I guess if you're desperate enough or think you don't have a chance you're willing to try anything.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
sigh

This is consistent EVERYWHERE

View attachment 33394
All that proves is the unvaccinated are more likely to be hospitalized. I agree with that. But it isn't consistent at all how it spreads as in how people are infected. There are plenty of examples implying it is hyper virulent and others it isn't. Predicted superspreader events don't transpire. First hard surfaces are dangerous, then not so much. Plastic screens crop up everywhere only to learn they are next to useless. Grocery store workers were closey exposed to hundreds of people a day with no protection early on, they should have been dropping like flies. They did not. Just saying, there is still a hell of a lot we don't about the virus. That can't be denied.