• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

taxi1

pilot
Uhhh, North Carolina’s beaches and beach house rentals are open and packing them in bigly.

For property management companies, 2020 went from disaster to windfall once the bridges were opened to guests in May. “It’s been overwhelmingly busy,” Dan Hardy, General Manager of Joe Lamb, Jr. & Associates said. “I mean it’s been from early May when we thought we were going to have a good season, [it’s] probably been as good a season as we’ve ever had.”

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Uhhh, North Carolina’s beaches and beach house rentals are open and packing them in bigly.

For property management companies, 2020 went from disaster to windfall once the bridges were opened to guests in May. “It’s been overwhelmingly busy,” Dan Hardy, General Manager of Joe Lamb, Jr. & Associates said. “I mean it’s been from early May when we thought we were going to have a good season, [it’s] probably been as good a season as we’ve ever had.”
Good, it was a ridiculous abuse of power to deny people access to their own property. But that’s not the point is it? The point is that it’s increasingly clear that the restrictions being used have a marginal effect on the virus at best, but a dramatic effect on the economy.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
This perspective makes so much sense to me. Exhibit A, the meme game on this very thread:
“Those who had more sexist attitudes were far less likely to report feeling concerned about the pandemic, less likely to support state and local coronavirus policies, less likely to take precautions like washing their hands or wearing masks, and more likely to get sick than those with less sexist attitudes,” Reny told me. “What I found is that sexist attitudes are very predictive of all four sets of [aforementioned] outcomes, even after accounting for differences in partisanship, ideology, age, education, and population density.”

That article is from Vox. Vox is a far left liberal and this article just reinforces one of the tenants that they (the libs) hold dear.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
That article is from Vox. Vox is a far left liberal and this article just reinforces one of the tenants that they (the libs) hold dear.
No arguments there. Vox appears on the left/liberal side of every media bias chart. But this part is non-partisan/non-ideological: “Glick and Reny echoed a sentiment that health experts I spoke to in July said: To get people to change behavior, masks have to become a socially accepted norm. Once people start accepting masks as normal behavior, like they do wearing seat belts and not smoking indoors, the number of people going against the norm decreases.”

jackjack

You know that place that never went into lockdown.
View attachment 27064
You mean the country that had about 10 times the death rate per capita as their neighbours and 50 times more than Australia? It seems they got their act together and put in place restrictions stronger than France. Their current numbers reflect this

https://ww w.ft.com/content/7acfc5b8-d96f-455b-9f36-b70dc850428f
After months of resisting compulsory social restrictions and incurring a much higher fatality rate than its European counterparts, the Swedish government has imposed restrictions stricter than those in Austria and France, and succeeded in bringing the rise in infections under control, reports the Financial Times.

Last edited:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
You mean the country that had about 10 times the death rate per capita as their neighbours and 50 times more than Australia? It seems they got their act together and put in place restrictions stronger than France. Their current numbers reflect this

https://ww w.ft.com/content/7acfc5b8-d96f-455b-9f36-b70dc850428f
After months of resisting compulsory social restrictions and incurring a much higher fatality rate than its European counterparts, the Swedish government has imposed restrictions stricter than those in Austria and France, and succeeded in bringing the rise in infections under control, reports the Financial Times.
That “article” reads like it was written by a bot

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
No arguments there. Vox appears on the left/liberal side of every media bias chart. But this part is non-partisan/non-ideological: “Glick and Reny echoed a sentiment that health experts I spoke to in July said: To get people to change behavior, masks have to become a socially accepted norm. Once people start accepting masks as normal behavior, like they do wearing seat belts and not smoking indoors, the number of people going against the norm decreases.”

I agree that what is in the quote is non-partisan/non-ideological. Probably accurate too. But the premise of the article (sexism) is definitely a lefty liberal point of view.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This perspective makes so much sense to me. Exhibit A, the meme game on this very thread:
“Those who had more sexist attitudes were far less likely to report feeling concerned about the pandemic, less likely to support state and local coronavirus policies, less likely to take precautions like washing their hands or wearing masks, and more likely to get sick than those with less sexist attitudes,” Reny told me. “What I found is that sexist attitudes are very predictive of all four sets of [aforementioned] outcomes, even after accounting for differences in partisanship, ideology, age, education, and population density.”
Really? It is a news flash that men take more risks than women? Oh wait. Maybe it is to a certain segment of society. I am told there isn't any difference between men and women now.

jackjack

You linked a fake news site that references an article behind a paywall. Provide something useful or shut up. Based on your illustrious history here I’d prefer the latter.
You take the space out between the W WW and the Financial Times link works fine. I just couldn't hot link it.
It seems it is quoting a recent report.

jackjack

It wasn't on the first page of the simple Google search, or I could have. It was just to give context to the chart that was posted. As well as the more strict rules than Austria and France. They had their annual holidays, 5 weeks and had an 86% reduction during this time

" This is the word content. It is still better to go to the Financial Times linked for the charts.

Sweden’s pandemic no longer stands out
The country has tougher restrictions in place than in France or Austria and new infections have plunged
Sweden is no longer the outlier it used to be on
coronavirus. It no longer has the least restrictive approach to the pandemic in Europe and it has lost its briefly held status as the country with the highest number of deaths per capita after its number of Covid-19 cases decreased over the summer. Its economy has suffered less than the European average in recent months, but at least as much and possibly more than its Nordic neighbours. “We get a second chance. We don’t want this to take off again. We now have the chance to learn and do additional things to avoid things taking off,” said Cecilia Söderberg-Nauclér, a critic of Sweden’s approach and a professor of cell and molecular immunology at Karolinska University Hospital in Stockholm. The debate about the wisdom of Sweden’s lighter-touch strategy on the pandemic is as fierce as it has ever been, but the situation on the ground has calmed during its main summer month of July. The number of cases per capita fell by 86 per cent in the month from the end of June, although they have risen slightly in recent days and are still relatively high by European standards. “A slight increase during the [autumn] is more or less inevitable. We do not really believe that we are going to have a constant rise and get up to the same levels we had this spring,” said Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist. The reasons for the decline are far from established. Mr Tegnell argued “there is a relationship between the very quick drop of the last few weeks and the increasing immunity in many parts of Sweden”. Swedish public health authorities have estimated the capital Stockholm could be getting close to “herd immunity”, but their argument is fiercely disputed by other epidemiolo"

Last edited: