• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Sonog

pilot
I find it interesting that people (physicians and nurses) even at the same hospital have different opinions on where this is going and the conditions at the hospital, I was told that the hospital near me was so overloaded people were in beds in the hallway, messaged a friend who's daughter works at the same hospital and he said she had no idea where that info came from. One doc at the hospital says this will get bad, another says it is not good but it will not be as bad as people are saying.

My conclusion is that we really won't know until it is over, then half will say they were right, and the other half will say nothing.

At this point no one is going to win either side of this argument.

I think as usual, most of us are arguing about different things. The HARD question is drawing the line somewhere between pandemic mitigation and long term economic/societal effects. From a purely economic standpoint (placing monetary value on human life... I know), there will be a sweet spot. I get where people are coming from that are trying to call for everyone to pump the brakes. Deaths and hardship will also result from a severe economic recession. However, right now I think we're doing the right things. It is much easier to shut off the faucet and slowly open it back up as we obtain more data, more testing becomes available, hospitals become more prepared etc.

exNavyOffRec

Interesting info about the life care center where everything started, the staff noticed respiratory illnesses on Jan 29th and were calling EMS for those people and it is reported that this is when the emergency responders were exposed and it exploded a little more than a week later in the center, and then the stream of residents continued to flow to hospitals, then they notified the local officials of an outbreak of on Feb 10th and called it an outbreak, the CDC wasn't notified until Feb 28th and widespread testing wasn't done for many weeks, so it appears it started earlier the more info we get.

I noticed that several people who had deaths reported yesterday had actually passed away much earlier, they had one as far back as Feb 28th who's test was just confirmed positive. That falls in line with what they briefed everyone on that as testing ramps up there will be results from awhile back showing up in the numbers.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
On the positive side, I'm well on my way to becoming a stay at home dad. Homeschooling the kids, and doing science camp while my wife works on building her business back up to help our longer term bottom-line.

Just 3 months ago on the Lincoln, I would have given everything for this chance, so I'm trying to enjoy it, despite an extremely uncertain future outside the Navy. Thank God we have some savings.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m hearing some interesting things about malaria meds potentially having a big impact on symptomatic people. I know the President made a big deal about it, but it seems the initial trial turned out to have some major sampling issues. So apparently some group in Barcelona is having to do a no-kidding correct clinical trial to verify that that is actually a thing that works.

exNavyOffRec

I’m hearing some interesting things about malaria meds potentially having a big impact on symptomatic people. I know the President made a big deal about it, but it seems the initial trial turned out to have some major sampling issues. So apparently some group in Barcelona is having to do a no-kidding correct clinical trial to verify that that is actually a thing that works.

There is one that was developed to help with Ebola that I guess didn't work so well, yesterday they talked to a guy on the radio who was not doing well with the Coronavirus who took it (I think it was called Redevez or something close) and he did much better, so that hopefully is another tool for them to use.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
How so? Shouldn’t this serve as a catalyst for some financial responsibility?

We've got the idea that consumerism is the way to go- spend all of your money on stuff and you'll be happy. We've built a society where success is equal to the amount of luxuries you can buy (whether you can afford them or not).

It's also tough to be financially responsible when wages don't support it. I don't think anyone in lower socioeconomic classes choose to live paycheck to paycheck.

But I get what you're saying- plenty of upper middle class folks buy the BMW or the Lexus when they should just keep driving the Honda they already have.

How do you afford your Rock'n'Roll lifestyle?

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
We've got the idea that consumerism is the way to go- spend all of your money on stuff and you'll be happy. We've built a society where success is equal to the amount of luxuries you can buy (whether you can afford them or not).

It's also tough to be financially responsible when wages don't support it. I don't think anyone in lower socioeconomic classes choose to live paycheck to paycheck.

But I get what you're saying- plenty of upper middle class folks buy the BMW or the Lexus when they should just keep driving the Honda they already have.

How do you afford your Rock'n'Roll lifestyle?
Agreed

Step 1: pay people a living wage.

Step 2: educate those people on the values of fiscal responsibility.

Step 3: Everyone profits???

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
We have, but I like to think of it more like we've built a society based on the individual freedom to do what you please with your money- buy stuff that you decide you want, which includes making dumb mistakes, but those are your dumb mistakes, not choices of a group of people who are a thousand miles away.

(Well, part individual freedom and also part the illusion of personal freedom.)