• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Couple questions

Hubmaster

I've been looking into the different branches of the military and am interested in the army, navy, and air force. Is it possible to apply to multiple branches at the same time?

I've also read some topics on these forums on how the airforce is getting rid of people and selection boards. is the navy going through anything similar- how competitive is it to get into the navy?

Thanks

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Yes you can apply to multiple branches but they may not be happy about that. You should rather figure out what you want to do and chose a branch that fits you and can give you the opportunity your looking for.

The economy sucks and jobs are harder to get than before, the military is no exception. Can't speak for the other branches but I know the Navy and I would assume the other branches as well, are all very competitive, especially for an officer. Leadership jobs are not just handed out. There is no quantitative way to measure how competitive it is, if you make the requirement, apply and find out. But know this, you will need to be dedicated.

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
Is it possible to apply to multiple branches at the same time?

I was told by a Marine OR that I could not have an application out with the Navy and Marines at the same time, however my Navy OR told me (as recently as a couple of days ago; asked the same question for a friend of mine) that you can have an application out at all of the branches of the military simultaneously. To get a definite answer check with your local recruiter.

Is the navy going through anything similar? How competitive is it to get into the navy?

With more officers staying in longer and more people applying due to the economy, I would venture to say that it is more competitive now than it has been in a long time. While many people have applied and been accepted to their chosen designators this past year, many have also received non-selects. If you want it bad enough, do all that you need to do and apply; if you don't get selected, work on your package and apply again when you are eligible.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
I was told by a Marine OR that I could not have an application out with the Navy and Marines at the same time, words...
That's because a few recruiters will just not help you if they don't think you are a promising candidate for selection and by telling them that you are still considering other avenues is the opposite of that.

To the OP, when it comes to Officer accession, recruiters are the gate-keepers.

Since I applied to multiple branches and I have a few theories, my keys to success were:
a) Make sure the timing is right. Know the times between submitting the application, finding out about your acceptance and having to sign the dotted line.
b) Knowing that you are medically qualified in the branch you are interested in. (Ex. different vision standards in USAF and Navy). I recommend getting a full physical from a doctor and a full "eye" physical from an optometrist (for aviation).
c) Understand what MEPS is. MEPS is like a clearing house for applicants looking to enter the armed services. They serve the military, but are not owned by any of the branches in particular. If you go to MEPS for the AF, you don't have to visit again for the Navy, however, you will have to potentially sign paperwork that moves your MEPS files from the AF folder to the Navy one.
d) Your personal statements for the MC, Navy and AF are all different. Leadership should still be a common theme. Navy and AF will be the most similar, with the MC putting a strong emphasis on leading Marines.
e) Make sure your letters of recommendation properly reflect the branch you are applying to.

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
@crafting - It was a weird situation. I applied for more info on all branches about 3 months before I started my application for the Navy. They all sent me some brochures etc. but no one called from the Marines for about 3-4 months. When he finally called, I told him that I already had an application in with the Navy; long story short he said I couldn't have one out for Navy and Marines, but if I decided to go marines instead, I could request the transfer of my paperwork since they use the same forms.

Who knows, maybe that will answer someone else's question down the road lol.

Crafting raises an interesting point; it may not be a good idea to tell the recruiters that you are applying for all 3 at the same time. So much of this depends on the individual recruiter you are/will be working with, so talk to them as soon as you can.

Lawman

None
Yes you can talk to all the different service branches and try to determine your options available and what really fits you best.

However, you cant actually process paperwork through Multiple branches at once. Used to be totally possible, but since everything is computerized it locks out anyone from processing paperwork until the stuff already in the system is removed. I had to get a recruiter to remove my application for Navy OCS when I applied for the Army WOFT program. It wasnt even an active application either it was something that had been kicked up several years before and was still somehow in the computer so I had to let the office know and have them track it down, find it, and delete it from the system. Wasnt really a big deal it just slowed my packet for the Army down by a week while the Navy got me out of the MEPS system.

Recruiting is sales, plain and simple. If the guy gets butt hurt because you as a young person with options want to explore the ideas before you commit to anything screw him. You'll find way too many people in the Military that bought the first line of BS and saw everything through the rose colored glasses their recruiter put on their head and hated them for it later. Do the research, ask lots of questions, and make the choice for yourself. If you've got any questions about the WOFT program in the Army specifically, shoot me a PM and Ill tell you what I can.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
@crafting ...words...long story short he said I couldn't have one out for Navy and Marines, but if I decided to go marines instead, I could request the transfer of my paperwork since they use the same forms.
Interesting. Maybe your MC recruiter used different forms than mine, but every branch had it's own application that I had to fill out. There was no "transfer of forms" that would have taken place (but maybe they would have thrown them in the trash?).

However, you cant actually process paperwork through Multiple branches at once. Used to be totally possible, but since everything is computerized it locks out anyone from processing paperwork until the stuff already in the system is removed...woooooords....

Recruiting is sales, plain and simple. .....words...

There was no system that locked out my recruiters when they entered my information into their database. So, I guess I got lucky?

And Lawman is right, do your research, don't just believe what they tell you. For the record though, the USMC Officer recruiting station in san diego was the most straight-shooting recruiting station with whom I worked (with the Navy in close 2nd).

ryan1234

Yes you can talk to all the different service branches and try to determine your options available and what really fits you best.

If the guy gets butt hurt because you as a young person with options want to explore the ideas before you commit to anything screw him .

+1

@ OP: Nothing guarantees that all of your time and energy in one particular branch will yield fruit. Personally, I think it's wise to apply everywhere. You may realize that another branch fits you better.

Hubmaster

Hello,
I have been reading through posts on various sites and still have some questions. I have read that the Navy is not looking to recruit people for SWO positions and that most positions are closed. What about the CEC and AMDO positions? Are engineers in any demand?

Thanks for the answers

exNavyOffRec

You can apply to all at once and no one would know until it comes to MEPS, then they will know, that is the system that will cause issues, but there is no regulation that prevents you from apply to all at once. I have had people that I worked with that did have apps in with a few services, some I encouraged to purse the other services.

exNavyOffRec

SWO is closed until at least FY14, AMDO is probably going to close out here in a few weeks, CEC for college students is open but for those that are graduates not looking good.