• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Couple of quick TW-5 questions

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Couple of questions about A-292 for those that are there now...

- Are the T-6s still using 12J? Is it still the hive of activity it was with the Wieners?

- Is everyone at 12J or GZH still using UHF as the primary?

- If the weather is VFR, but not really PA-friendly, are guys still trying to eek out the X with low(er) ceilings at these airports (like we did in the T-34s)?

I'm curious about traffic density if coming through the area, that's why I'm asking. Thanks.

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
GZH is now primary solo field, so it stays somewhat busy. 12j is pretty busy as well, lots of PPELS. Monroville is also in use but not usually that busy. UHF is what we use, though the actual airport is VHF

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
We use everything in 292. GZH is the solo field, which means EVERYONE else is at MVC or 12J. Primary comms are on UHF (PM for freqs) but the CTAF is up VHF at all times for SA and civilian traffic. Generally if WX is low, we'll do PAs VFR on top (no ground reference required).

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Sorry for the split answer; in reference to traffic density, it's gotten better since they opened Barin up to T-6s and more people are starting to use the South MOA (over Barin), Choctaw, and the Gator MOA. However, since the only solo field in is -292, 90% of the Contact training occurs there (re: traffic is EVERYWHERE). Guys are setting up for initial as low as 1200 feet, 6-8 miles outside from the airfields. If you transited <500 and at least 10 miles from the OLFs, you probably won't get a windscreen full of solo orange and white :cool:

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Yes they are part of the contact syllabus, but there is no requirement for visual reference in our instruction.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
No. Spins require visual reference with the ground, but we don't spin during PAs (unless you dick something up, of course). Spins are prohibited below 10k, and although we could do Aero in the MOA (12-18k), we generally do it in the Pelican working area (6-11k).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for the info guys. I knew they changed up a lot of the CR, so I figured there was more in play now (like KMVC and the MOAs).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You really need 10K AGL to get out of a spinning T-6? The Wiener didn't even have an ejection seat, and IIRC, you started the spin at 9K or thereabouts.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The 10k spin deck limit is a PMU programming limit for the sake of the engine.

What does that actually mean in English? Honest question. I doubt the PT6 cares what altitude it's at, but if there's some sort of computer issue, I'm curious to learn.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
NATOPS said:
Spins below 10,000 feet MSL are prohibited due to high stresses on the propeller which occur during the spin maneuver with the propeller RPM below 80%. To prevent high stresses from occurring the power management unit(PMU) artificially maintains propeller RPM at 80% with the PCL at IDLE when the aircraft is above 10,000 feet MSL.

The prop cares. No idea why they didn't just program it to maintain 80% to a lower altitude.