• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Couple of questions...

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
While at OCS there were only a handful of days where I wasn't knocking out 5-6 hours of sleep. All of those days were of my own doing. Some other classes had the misfortune of having writing assignments, which probably contributed to their lack of sleep.

I found ways to keep my energy peaked. Smuggling geedunk into OCS was one of those ways. Finding ways to take naps during the day was another.

Just don't get caught and you'll be fine.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I found ways to keep my energy peeked. Smuggling geedunk into OCS was one of those ways. Finding ways to take naps during the day was another.

Just don't get caught and you'll be fine.

Or just deal with it and don't worry about getting caught....because you will be worried about getting caught. And if you do, its an integrity violation and a big deal. And I can also say that being caught napping is also not a good idea. "Don't get caught" is easier said than done.

You will find your own ways of coping with it, whether its Falkers idea of being done by a certain time and getting your stuff done the night before. Sleep dep is different for every class because every class team is different in what they do with their class. DIs can still be around after lights out, and being caught at that time doing something you're not supposed to will be detrimental for you and your class.

The rest of us got through OCS being sleep deprived and tons of other students did too. You will be fine. Even if you get 5-6 hours, you will be tired because you are going full throttle the moment you get up at 0500 until lights out.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You know the best thing about liberty (besides getting off base and beer)? Rustling out of bed at 10am and hearing a class being beat in Sniper Alley, shooting the shit with your boys in the p-way, grabbing some lunch chow, and then knocking another day off the "How many till I get the f out of here" countdown. Maybe similar to what your feel towards the end of cruise with GQ drills are going on? I guess I'll find out...

Accountant

My eyes and forehead will hurt from just one night of insufficient sleep, so twelve weeks of consistent sleep deprivation is going to be brutal. Maybe a B12 shot will help. So what about after OCS... will my entire career be filled with sub-par sleep? I'm not sure I want others depending on me if I can only sleep <7 hours. I've always had a problem with sleeping, so I know that it can be detrimental to my performance.

Falker

Not Air Force
Or just deal with it and don't worry about getting caught....because you will be worried about getting caught. And if you do, its an integrity violation and a big deal. And I can also say that being caught napping is also not a good idea. "Don't get caught" is easier said than done.

You will find your own ways of coping with it, whether its Falkers idea of being done by a certain time and getting your stuff done the night before. Sleep dep is different for every class because every class team is different in what they do with their class. DIs can still be around after lights out, and being caught at that time doing something you're not supposed to will be detrimental for you and your class.

The rest of us got through OCS being sleep deprived and tons of other students did too. You will be fine. Even if you get 5-6 hours, you will be tired because you are going full throttle the moment you get up at 0500 until lights out.

Pike's company found out what happens when you get caught napping... hilarious for us, but bad for them. I believe the individual walked out on line and had marks all over his face ;).

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
My eyes and forehead will hurt from just one night of insufficient sleep, so twelve weeks of consistent sleep deprivation is going to be brutal. Maybe a B12 shot will help. So what about after OCS... will my entire career be filled with sub-par sleep? I'm not sure I want others depending on me if I can only sleep <7 hours. I've always had a problem with sleeping, so I know that it can be detrimental to my performance.

That depends on your designator. I would say no, but i'm only coming from the aviation side of things. Lazers can attest for the SWO world.

As far as aviation goes, (again this is only my experience up to Primary flight training), you will have no problems in IFS or API getting sleep.

Primary isn't bad either but there are days where I am up early to the squadron to brief, have a flight, come back and debrief and come home and its 1700 or 1800 and I still have to study and prepare for the next days flight.

You are entitled to 12 hours of crew rest...which means that there have to be 12 solid hours from the time you leave the squadron until the time you can come back. That sounds great, but keep in mind, you probably will still need to eat, prepare a flight plan for the next day, get your stuff ready and THEN sleep or whatever. So that 12 hours dwindles down quickly. It's all about time management.

Other days, you get lucky and won't have a flight until 1400 and so you can sleep in a little bit. I'm sure the fleet is vastly different, but thats my experience up to now.

And yes we got our asses kicked for my buddy getting caught sleeping....that was a horrible, horrible day...but its hilarious now.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
:bigmouth_:bigmouth_:bigmouth_:bigmouth_ ^^^^ "Oh really? I'll play yo game..."

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If this is truely the case, you might want to re-think a military career. There are going to be many, many nights with 4 or 5 hours (maybe less) sleep, especially when you are on sea duty. It's just a fact of life.

c172pic

You are allowed to bring in shoe supports. My "roommate" brought in special socks to help with his issue. Same goes with medicine. I even had a guy in my class who had a specific religious requirement and they did what they could to cater to him without going outside the realm of "OCS".

Sneaking in Geedunk was never hard. The moral dilemma behind it, was. I never did it, and was glad I didn't.

Sleeping at OCS, you will sleep standing up, you will sleep taking a dump. You will sleep in ways and places you never imagined!!! Your body will adjust around week 3 or so. Your entire body will hurt, but you will get used to it. Then things will "turn green" when you look down before flushing. Just keep drinking water.

You can never drink enough water!!! I'd strongly suggest buying 2-3 canteens. They'll get nasty, real quick and you can easily give the nasty one away, or use a fresh one. I had two and swapped them every 4 days.