• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Couple of questions...

Accountant

I cannot run or walk long distances without my custom arch supports. Will I be able to use these in all of my shoes at OCS? I would be very disappointed if something so simple prevented me from succeeding.
Also... will I be at a disadvantage because of my weight? I'm tall but only 150lbs. thanks

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
If your foot issue is disqualifying, you may be able to get a waiver. Best bet is to apply for OCS, and do what you need to do to get a waiver if you need one. There are some threads with links to the NAMI website and some pubs that may shed some light on that.

I can't speak for your weight concerns at OCS as I'm not an OCS grad.

Falker

Not Air Force
I cannot run or walk long distances without my custom arch supports. Will I be able to use these in all of my shoes at OCS? I would be very disappointed if something so simple prevented me from succeeding.
Also... will I be at a disadvantage because of my weight? I'm tall but only 150lbs. thanks

You shouldn't have a problem using them if you head to Newport.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
There's min and max weight tables available online. You need to meet the Navy standards at checkin

Accountant

There's min and max weight tables available online. You need to meet the Navy standards at checkin

I am not concerned with meeting the weight requirements, those are black and white. I am referring to the physical demands. For example: carrying another recruit on back, marching with 50lb bags, or lifting anything other than my own bodyweight... which would put me at a disadvantage. thanks.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I am not concerned with meeting the weight requirements, those are black and white. I am referring to the physical demands. For example: carrying another recruit on back, marching with 50lb bags, or lifting anything other than my own bodyweight... which would put me at a disadvantage. thanks.

You won't have to buddy/fireman's carry someone at Navy OCS. Ditto for a pack march. That being said, there are some physically demanding exercises you'll have to do. Get in shape now.

BoomGoDynamite

I wore insoles throughout OCS without a problem. I wore them in my running shoes when I reported on Sunday (didn't mention them/feel it was necessary to mention them at check in). Then once we were issued boots I'd switch them between running shoes and boots as necessary. The trick is being fast to change clothes and switching the insoles out, this will make more sense once you get to OCS.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Or you could just fill out the little foot paper form they give you at the beginning, go to the podiatrist and they'll fix you up with a pair of insoles for FREE!

Falker

Not Air Force
Sweet!! I hope they are of equal quality. Now my only concern is sleep deprivation...

Well you're definitely going to have to deal with that one. Lights out is at 2200 and reveille is usually around 0500, and you'll have plenty of things to do in between. The trick is learning how juggle your duties with sleep. If something important is coming up the next day, get an extra hour. I personally tried to be in bed by 2230, taking thirty minutes to stretch and shine boots. I usually woke up around 0430 to start hydrating and stretching for the day.

Accountant

Right now I typically sleep 9 hours per night. Doesn't the Navy know that lack of sleep can cause severe health problems lol. I am a night person by nature, so I'm screwed. I take it there will not be a day to nap or sleep longer, like Sunday?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Your body doesn't require 9 hours of sleep, at least it shouldn't. Each time I was deployed, I routinely got by on 4-6 hours of sleep per night. I have a feeling that the few hours of sleep you'll get at OCS will be some of the best sleep you've had.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Right now I typically sleep 9 hours per night. Doesn't the Navy know that lack of sleep can cause severe health problems lol. I am a night person by nature, so I'm screwed. I take it there will not be a day to nap or sleep longer, like Sunday?

Yeah don't count on having 9 hours a night. And no you wont get to nap, this isn't a summer camp you're going to.

Sunday, yes you will get to "sleep in" because reveille is at 0630 instead of 0500. You will be more tired than you've ever been in your life the entire time, but your body will adapt and you will still be able to give 110% each day. It's amazing what the human body is capable of doing, even when its severely sleep deprived.