• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Couple of questions about me, and the process...

Cody Croslow

Hi All,

I've recently become enamored with the idea of being a Navy pilot. I've put out all of my feelers and am in the process of contacting a Navy Officer Recruiter. I have a couple of questions (That I think I have the answer to,) that I'd appreciate a little feedback on, and my general status.

My short reasoning for wanting to join is below, please feel free to comment, criticize or question:
I have this sense of duty to serve my country that paying my taxes doesn't quite fulfill. I'm proud of the USA, and I want to be able to serve it in a way that makes a difference. I'm looking for adventure and travel, and the fact that my school would be paid off is a bonus. It will/would be a better situation financially, and I would learn to be a leader and make hard decisions with alacrity.

GPA = 3.01, graduated in feb/2010
No sports/activities outside of the freemasons, and I just joined them.

I've taken a few practice ASTB tests, and my scores have been:
Math 22/30
Reading 22/27
Mechanical 21/30
Spatial 19/25
Aviation 22/30
Supplemental 25/34

This is an average of 73%.
I'm not sure how this stacks up against the real scoring of the test, can anyone help me understand if these scores are competitive or not?

Questions(And my assumed answer):
If I apply for Pilot, will I know if I will be a pilot before going to OCS?(Yes)
If I Apply for Pilot, will I possibly be put into NFO instead without me knowing?(No)
Will I get an interview regardless of how I look on paper? (Not sure)
Are there more questions I should be asking?(Probably...)

I appreciate all your time for reading this, please leave comments if any come to mind, or suggestions.

Thanks,
Graelb

TXSooner07

None
Graelb,

I will try to answer/correct a few things:

1) Your school won't be paid off.
2) Can't say how those scores compare to how the ASTB is actually scored. I would just understand the questions you missed and why you missed them.
3) If you apply for pilot (SNA) and get accepted, that is the designator you will take into OCS
4) You won't be put into NFO unless you apply for it or are disqualified for SNA for some reason.
5) I don't know the answer to your interview question.

Cody Croslow

Thanks for the quick reply EvansOU,

I was under the impression that I could qualify for college loan repayment plan, Is this not the case? Does that mean I can't get any money at all for my degree?

TXSooner07

None
My understanding was that was only possible for enlisted folks, not officers. Not sure who gave you that impression but I didn't get any money at all for my degree.

Cody Croslow

Bummer on that one. I wonder if that means the GI bill doesn't apply to officers as well... I'll have to ask once I get a hold of someone...

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
4) You won't be put into NFO unless you apply for it or are disqualified for SNA for some reason.

Is this written down anywhere? The reason I ask is because my near right eye was borderline (20/35), and I was tempted to go for NFO because of it. My processor said that if I was medically disqualified for SNA, but still qualified for NFO, they would let me switch (was pro-rec'd for both).

My processor is the career Navy type who you imagine probably knows everyone, so I feel pretty confident he's not misguiding me, but confirmation would be nice.

TXSooner07

None
Not sure if it's written down anywhere but it's what I remember reading around these boards and whatnot. I just figure that if they gave you a SNA slot and you were too blind or didn't meet some anthro measurements, they would still let you go NFO unless they were way over-manned.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
If you get commissioned through OCS, you will be eligible for the GI Bill, but that will not pay for classes that you have already taken. As far as I know, there is no college loan repayment money available for line officers. There doesn't need to be- there are more people knocking on the door right now then the Navy can let in.

ksu_af2navy

I went through OCS(SNA)....You get the GI-Bill, USAA new commission loan (25,000) as an officer.

Not to freak you out but its not uncommon for people to NPQ'd from pilot at OCS, and if you have a pulse then you'll be re'des to NFO or if you so desire to become an angry SWO the by all means whatever makes you happy. And if your dead set of being a pilot and you're NPQ'd then DOR may be a last resort, but i've also seen people fight it and win back their pilot slot.