• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

County/Community College First

RighteousMile

Cry Freedom
So I've decided to go to Community College first before attending a university with an NROTC program. And I was just wondering if going to a Community College first would hurt my chances of getting a pilots slot in the navy, or if it has any impact at all...

jride200

I attended a total of one community college and 3, yes 3, different universities (think you had a pain in the ass getting transcripts for your application?). I additionally spent several semesters as a part-time student, because I was working full-time. None of this mattered in my case; I got a pilot's slot, albeit throuch OCS rather than NROTC.

Get good grades at whatever combination of community colleges and universities you choose. Do well on your ASTB. Work, volunteer, play sports. Stay active in whatever capacity you want to. The Navy isn't looking for the shut-in video gamer types. These are all things that will help you reach your goal.

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
Attending community college before joining a NROTC unit at a 4-year university will have no effect on you having the same opportunity to be designated an SNA as any other midshipman commissioning from an NROTC program.

Rasczak

Marine
There are even some ROTC units that have that crosstown program... You can be in ROTC while your at the CC. Well, the AF did that, not too sure about NROTC

AJB37

Do the community college grades play a major part in the application? I received a 2.9gpa at my cc and so far 3.35gpa at UCSD, so my overall gpa is still above a 3.0, plus I'm staying a 5th year so my gpa can still go up. I'm just worried about how it will like to have a sub-par gpa from a cc. Any insight to this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

FastMover

NFO
None
Do the community college grades play a major part in the application? I received a 2.9gpa at my cc and so far 3.35gpa at UCSD, so my overall gpa is still above a 3.0, plus I'm staying a 5th year so my gpa can still go up. I'm just worried about how it will like to have a sub-par gpa from a cc. Any insight to this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

Your CC and university GPAs will be averaged together. However, the board will look at your university GPA by itself as well.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do the community college grades play a major part in the application? I received a 2.9gpa at my cc and so far 3.35gpa at UCSD, so my overall gpa is still above a 3.0, plus I'm staying a 5th year so my gpa can still go up. I'm just worried about how it will like to have a sub-par gpa from a cc.
You're screwed. Just drop out of college now. Don't even bother finishing. Go find yourself and nice waiter position at the Olive Garden cause obviously, the Navy doesn't want people who have gpa's of less than a 3.0 from a community college.

/end sarcasm

AJB37

You're screwed. Just drop out of college now. Don't even bother finishing. Go find yourself and nice waiter position at the Olive Garden cause obviously, the Navy doesn't want people who have gpa's of less than a 3.0 from a community college.

/end sarcasm

.... I'm already a waiter at the Olive Garden... :(

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I applied for a ROTC scholarship right out of HS and didn't get it. So I went to JuCo for a year and worked, and put in for the early board. I ended up doing a year in JuCo before going to Norwich on scholarship, and I got a pilot spot. As others have said, it has pretty much zero effect.

Its just more GPA, but it won't be calculated in your GPA at your ultimate school where you go for ROTC. Just do your best and don't be a slacker at the unit, all the typical suggestions everyone gives.

RighteousMile

Cry Freedom
Transfering into NROTC

I applied for a ROTC scholarship right out of HS and didn't get it. So I went to JuCo for a year and worked, and put in for the early board. I ended up doing a year in JuCo before going to Norwich on scholarship, and I got a pilot spot. As others have said, it has pretty much zero effect.

Its just more GPA, but it won't be calculated in your GPA at your ultimate school where you go for ROTC. Just do your best and don't be a slacker at the unit, all the typical suggestions everyone gives.

On Navy.com it says there are some general classes I would have to take in order to complete NROTC [Calculus (one year by the end of the sophomore year), Physics (one year of calculus-based physics by the end of the junior year), English grammar and composition (one year), National Security Policy/American Military Affairs)]. Would I be able to take the classes at a community college and would that count and carry over? Or would the class credits only count if the university I go to takes the transfer credits?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would I be able to take the classes at a community college and would that count and carry over? Or would the class credits only count if the university I go to takes the transfer credits?
The classes will need to be the equivilent of what you would take at the university. In other words, they should be able to be transferred.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
On the note of classes. How hard is calc-based physics?

It depends on how technically minded you are and your study habits. In my experience, it was a lot of work for those who weren't engineering majors, and from my personal perspective, the EM portion of the series was as difficult as many of my engineering courses were. But if you go to class and study it is doable for anyone with the will to succeed. Don't let the physics requirment steer you away from doing what you want to do...its not really that big of a deal.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
People get too hung up on the "calc-based" part. Don't. Physics is still physics. The concepts don't change. If you understood the math part of your calculus class, then calc-based physics isn't that hard.