• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Counting down the days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithga1983

Induction day is right around the corner! I have to show up a few days early (report date NET 26JUN04 NLT 27JUN04) being enlisted and all... but the big I-Day is only 27 days away!! Thought Id come on here to see who'll be joining me..

Maybe some advice from people who have been there?

I think the biggest issue will be keeping a straight face while someone younger than me (Im 21) who has no fleet experiance screams in my face.
Exercise will be fun though... I dont think they make it 'rain' indoors like in boot camp.. anyone else had one of those beatings? It didnt rain, but the puddle of sweat I was sloshing around in sure made it seem like it... ahh good times.. good times...

So let me hear from some future inmates - er - "plebes".

GO NAVY!

H20man

Drill baby drill!
i report for indoc july 9th at USMMA....but......ehehe... only 17 days long for me :D buttt.... our academic year goes from end of july to mid june or so. :(

but sea year is friggin sweet.

NAPSmom05

Daughter reports to NAPS on July 15th. (don't know what time yet). Frantically booking that one last Disney vacation before she goes. (gotta see the mouse!)
NAPSmom05

big

USNA Class of 2008
Just got my appointment letter a week ago to USNA myself...counting down the days too! I accepted and am still waiting on my Permit to Report packet, though. I've already bought most of the stuff it is recommended to bring (socks, razors etc) and am PTing myself to get ready for Plebe Summer.

Seems like June is going to be one looooooooooooooong month though up till the 30th.

petescheu

keith-
congrats man... if you brush aside the BS factor, you'll love your 4 years there. although dont be expecting lots of exercise during plebe summer, they got rid of that awhile ago. last time i checked the only time you can work out is at PEP in the morning, which will be real easy in the beginning if you are in any sort of decent shape. 6 years ago it was more annoying than hard, so if it has followed the same trends that it did during my tenure, it will be a joke for you, especially having done the boot camp thing... the funny thing is that kids go in there expecting it to be hard, and i think they are actually let down by the lack of a challenge. but that's just my 2 cents.
big & viv- congrats too, you'll be glad you chose to go there... i assume you are both out of high school? it might not be apparent at first, and you never think that day will come when you'll throw your hat in the air at the stadium, but it's a great day when it finally does happen. i'd do it all (and I mean all of it) over again in a second. ya'll have any questions shoot em out there.

big

USNA Class of 2008
Second year applicant here actually shoo, already been through a year of college taking tough course load with calc, chem, eng etc. (not that eng is tough). I'm really looking forward to Plebe Summer/Year and not nervous at all, just know it's going to be a bit more rigid and difficult than usual. Since I was appointed late, I'm just not in top shape yet as far as running goes, although everywhere else I'm fine as I've been weightlifting the past 6 months straight.

Lookin forward to escaping this horrid desert climate and heading off to the Yard

Shoo, just how much do you cover in that first semester chem course at USNA? I took two semesters of chem here in Vegas this past year, we went all the way up through electrochem/nuclear chem/coordinate compounds with optics and crystal field theory etc. Just wondering if I'll be able to validate chem1 (really don't wanna take it all over again)....

usunkmybship

And how should I practice running? I went this morning yet I did take some breaks to walk. I just run along the sidewalk and I don't know exactly how to measure 2-3 miles. So I just timed myself from all the way on the other side of the neighborhood and back.

cdb21

use yours cars odometer to measure distance then time yourself on it. Make several different courses that are all on hard surface mostly(concrete, asphalt). Your first week start 1 mile, run it 5 days, and try to drop 5-10 seconds each day. Second week run 2 miles, same time deal. Third week go for 3 miles with the same deal. If you are stopping to walk then you should be worried. It is okay to stop when crossing a street or such, but on distance runs one should never stop-make that a goal. By the time you get to any academy you should be able to run 3 miles at 7-8 minute mile pace, any less and I would be concerned.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
big-sounds like you'll be ahead of the game in terms of Plebe Chem. You'll have to take the validation test, but you may very well be able to validate Chem I and II. It's been a few years since I took Plebe Chem, so it may have changed, but sounds like you're in good shape. Just work on that running shape!

petescheu

Ha, at least it's dry heat there. Just wait till you get to the Chesapeake Bay summer... the temp might not be that hot, but the humidity is awful.
If you've already had calc and some chem, you def might be able to validate like smitty said. I can't remember how far in it goes (actually i really don't remember any of it all now, come to think of it, amazing how you can brain dump stuff), although i dont remember covering any of what you were talking about. Validate if you can, it will make your life a lot easier junior/senior year.

usunkmybship

Thanks cdb. At this moment it takes me that time to do just 1 mile! Running is just boring when I'm by myself. I do better when I'm in formation. And now I'm just finding petty excuses :eek:. I'm working on it that's all that matters.

cdb21

its okay to do one mile at that pace-but try maintain that for the three miles. You will be fine as long as you are working hard and not slacking off. I have been getting ready for indoc every day-running,swimming, and lifting weights. Even if it is not plebe summer/indoc is not hard, physical ability readiness is one of the key aspects of military life. If you are a wimpy pencil neck your squad will eat you alive. I am sure you will be fine though, just stick to it.

PS- if running is boring then try getting a little portable radio/mp3 player, it will help. Sometimes I run with my IPOD when I need motivation.

cdb21

By the way one of my best friends just got back from NAPS, he is going to KP with me. I can give you some contact info if you want to get the inside scoop on NAPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.