• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CORTRAMID West T-34 flight

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Like I said, its a boondoggle. Does it make a doc a better single seat Hornet flight surgeon to fly with H-60, C-2, C-12, etc? No, it surely does not.

All of the flight surgeons I have ever met have been great Americans. I enjoy when they hang out in the ready room (which they do occasionally) and would love to go out drinking with them in port. Just like the intel officers and the Maintenance officers. However, there should be no requirement for them to get flight hours. If the want to fly and it doesn't interefere with mission accomplishment, then go for it.

There is a reason the orthopedic surgeons for football teams aren't required to throw on some pads and play a few quarters so they can appropriately diagnose a torn ACL.

Its retarded.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Its retarded

does it make 'em better? suppose that's hard to prove, but you would be correct to believe that it is in everyone's interest to keep flight docs closely plugged in with ready rooms. If that means giving 'em a backseat RTANK once a week than do that. I'm curious if you've had the pleasure of trying to execute a 125 sortie airplan? Had every multiplace squadron in the airwing calling the office wanting to put the docs in seats. So, "as long as it doesn't interfere with mission accomplishment...."? What's the mission and is it okay if it serves the squadron - just not when it serves the doc?

Flugelman

Contributor
48 hours? That's more than I flew in GA all of last year. Sad, but true. Where does this 48 number come from? 1 hr a week minus thanksgiving and christmas or something?

Many moons ago 4 hours per month min was required to get your skins. 4X12=48... As good a guess as any.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...after I was a dumb dumb and assumed that I could get an upchit same day as my physical...

Is that not the norm? Your flight physical won't be completed the same day, but if everything else was done and you see the doc, he can issue an upchit the same day. Long forms may be an exception depending on how "good" the clinic is.

As part of their initial FS training, they used to do primay through soloing too.

No more soloing. A few Fam flights, maybe (maybe) an instrument hop and if there's time, a Form flight. A lot of docs will knock most of it out on the road. And the best grade sheet to fill out ever is the Flight Surgeon grade sheet.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
does it make 'em better? suppose that's hard to prove, but you would be correct to believe that it is in everyone's interest to keep flight docs closely plugged in with ready rooms. If that means giving 'em a backseat RTANK once a week than do that. I'm curious if you've had the pleasure of trying to execute a 125 sortie airplan? Had every multiplace squadron in the airwing calling the office wanting to put the docs in seats. So, "as long as it doesn't interfere with mission accomplishment...."? What's the mission and is it okay if it serves the squadron - just not when it serves the doc?

We fly our doc pretty regularly and it has served our squadron very well. Not only does it keep him plugged into the wardroom, but having him in the back made it easier to show him where struggling pilots (and crewmen) were actually struggling, which then translated to more effective HFBs and HFCs.

Not to mention the fact that it's always fun to tell a PQM that the doc is a better stick!

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
No more soloing. A few Fam flights, maybe (maybe) an instrument hop and if there's time, a Form flight. A lot of docs will knock most of it out on the road. And the best grade sheet to fill out ever is the Flight Surgeon grade sheet.

Thats sad for them. Not that they really needed to go out and Solo a T-34, but still sucks for them that they don't get to do it anymore.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot

I don't understand the second half of your post.

Many times I have seen a flight doc hang out in the ready room for hours on end as the one non-dynamic back seat of the day keeps sliding to the right. If they know they can't hang in the back seat for something dynamic to bag hours, then isn't that enough knowledge to sit on an HFB and figure out if a pilot is getting enough sleep?

The RAG is not a normal squadron though, and maybe in the fleet a flight surgeon can more than cover all aircrew needs and still bag hours.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Is that not the norm? Your flight physical won't be completed the same day, but if everything else was done and you see the doc, he can issue an upchit the same day. Long forms may be an exception depending on how "good" the clinic is.

It always has been the norm in every other command I've been at, but apparently they run things a little differently here. I got the short form done in about 2.5 hrs, but then the appt girl told me the doc wasn't available for 2 weeks.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It always has been the norm in every other command I've been at, but apparently they run things a little differently here. I got the short form done in about 2.5 hrs, but then the appt girl told me the doc wasn't available for 2 weeks.

So even if you had gotten your physical done in the middle of your birth month, you could have been SOL? I'd be willing to bet a doc somewhere would have some 'splaining to do if that went down. Good on him for helping you out; too bad "helping you out" consisted of doing what is the norm everywhere else.

KBayDog

So even if you had gotten your physical done in the middle of your birth month, you could have been SOL? I'd be willing to bet a doc somewhere would have some 'splaining to do if that went down. Good on him for helping you out; too bad "helping you out" consisted of doing what is the norm everywhere else.

No. You just need to initiate a physical by the last day of your birth month.

3710.7U 8.8.1:
Flight personnel who have not initiated an aviation physical examination by the last day of their birth month shall be considered not to have met annual flight physical qualifications.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I've NEVER heard of such a wait... That's terrible/unsat.

Dude, seriously. I get upset if they're going to make me wait around a few hours to see the doc after the pub crawl thru medical is done.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
We fly our doc pretty regularly and it has served our squadron very well. Not only does it keep him plugged into the wardroom, but having him in the back made it easier to show him where struggling pilots (and crewmen) were actually struggling, which then translated to more effective HFBs and HFCs.

Not to mention the fact that it's always fun to tell a PQM that the doc is a better stick!

lies!!

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Not sure what the bread and butter deliveries are these days, but low safe was pretty important way back when with 200 foot ingress and 10 degree pop up deliveries.

A-6 community had several flight surgeons who were fully qualified (including one or two on the left seat). And don't be the Flight Surgeon who takes a flyoff seat coming home from Fallon workups or a boat det so you can get flight time because you're about to go out of qual.