• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CORTRAMID West T-34 flight

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If anyone there sees a badass contract para rigger, buy him a beer. He told me he was headed that way when I was checking out of TW4. Or, on second thought make him buy. He's making serious bank there.

Corpus PR shop did nothing for me.....I didn't get a helmet of my own until I hit T-45's. Let alone anything else....though that older lady there was cool, if she is still around

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
How do you tell which contract PR is the badass?

I assumed he'd be the one wearing American Flag sweat pants

Correct! Be on the lookout for this guy:
50413_128893789637_6227_n.jpg

Definitely don't want a round house kick to the face while he is wearing those bad boys.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wait, jet types get a t-34 to fly around? I'm confused.. splain, please?

Fallon, Mirramar, Oceana and until 2 years ago, Jax all have/had T-34s as range birds. When the S-3s went away, HSL got them for about 2 minutes (the only people that seemed to want to fly them weren't even "real" HSL guys...you can probably guess who one of them was).

I may be missing another station that has them, but you get the idea. They usually belong to the either the weapon schools or RAG...but mostly the weapon schools.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
It's hard to believe you wouldnt want a T-34 available to you... Sure it's not as sexy as any of our fleet aircraft but that is an enjoyable plane to fly...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's hard to believe you wouldnt want a T-34 available to you... Sure it's not as sexy as any of our fleet aircraft but that is an enjoyable plane to fly...

Admittedly I'm over-simplifying it, but when there was only 3 people qualified to fly them and two of them weren't even in the command that owns them...yeah.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
So basically it's just a boondoggle that has just enough cost savings to avoid a fraud/waste/abuse complaint?

I'm cool with that, and it explains why this is only allowed in the navy and navy related (ie Hornet) units.

There's no way that NAVAIR would let the Marines get away with that on our own (not that we're in any way above such buffoonery).

All of NAVAIR is equal. It's just that some parts are more equal than others.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So basically it's just a boondoggle that has just enough cost savings to avoid a fraud/waste/abuse complaint?

I'm cool with that, and it explains why this is only allowed in the navy and navy related (ie Hornet) units.

There's no way that NAVAIR would let the Marines get away with that on our own (not that we're in any way above such buffoonery).

All of NAVAIR is equal. It's just that some parts are more equal than others.

I can't speak to the VFA (and VX) guys "needing" them, other than to crash them, but the S-3 guys would support both VS/VFA needs as well as helo needs. There was discussion about using them as a CAS/CSAR asset for helos as well, but the helos would actually have to do that for it to be necessary. That said, on the helo side, using the Weiners (T-34s, not the Congressman) was FAR more cost effective than using an additional -60 for the training that was required.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I can't speak to the VFA (and VX) guys "needing" them, other than to crash them, but the S-3 guys would support both VS/VFA needs as well as helo needs. There was discussion about using them as a CAS/CSAR asset for helos as well, but the helos would actually have to do that for it to be necessary. That said, on the helo side, using the Weiners (T-34s, not the Congressman) was FAR more cost effective than using an additional -60 for the training that was required.

What needs were they serving? Low safe? Why does every other community get by without them?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
What needs were they serving? Low safe? Why does every other community get by without them?

$1000 hamburger currency hops to Big Bear....what else???? :)

BTW HD, you didn't happen to be one of the guys preflighting the C-12 on our ramp this AM around 0815-ish? I was starting up right in front of you if you were....

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
$1000 hamburger currency hops to Big Bear....what else???? :)

BTW HD, you didn't happen to be one of the guys preflighting the C-12 on our ramp this AM around 0815-ish? I was starting up right in front of you if you were....

I am totally down with ridiculous boondoggles for chow. After all, I routinely fly into Big Bear just for the blueberry French toast.

I'd just like to do it in a T-34 via some stunt flying once in awhile.

I didn't fly today. You at NKX? You know they have C-12s there, too. They have the big new Whiskeys. Pretty sweet when they work.