• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Corsair or Hornet??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
Just trying to take a quick survey: if you could choose, which would you rather fly: WWII props or Modern Jets??

Me? Tough to say, but I I'd lean toward the props. Seems like it was so seat of your pants, instead of button punching. just my 2 cents. Who else?

TargetInSight

I think it'd be cool to fly the Wright Brother's plane on the beach. Give the ladies a ride on your "flying contraption" - not to be confused with "flying contraception."

Clux4

Banned
props to jets

slower to faster

sluggish to agile

old tech to hi-tech

Now are you talking of your private use or just military puposes? If it was for the latter then we are not on the same page. Technology is going at 100 mph why should we live in the past, the roles of these aircrafts are changing by they day and we constantly need to upgrade to make missions.

You can fly the WWII airplanes on your ranch and your neighbours will come out and take pictures because they will think you look cool, other than that those things should be at Smithsonia or wherever they keep them

Think about it again.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
Well Clux, of course we give way to technology. I'm not proposing stupidity. What i meant was, would you rather be a fighter pilot now, or 60 years ago, based soley on what you'd be flying, and who you'd be flying against?

Hudson

Corsair for me. Open the canopy get the wind in your hair, the roar of that huge radial engine. The planes of today are cold and angular. There is no art to them. The last of the beautiful planes is going away with the retirement of the F-14. The new planes are excersises in compromise. Not to say that planes of the past were not. How far can you stretch an airframe before it becomes adaquate for a lot of different types of missions but not great at any of them? We used to have great planes.
The planes of the past were in large part focused machines. That is what was and is exciting about them. That is why I would vote for the Corsair or the Mustang or just about any other plane from that era over a modern platform.

Clux4

Banned
You can't blame me here . I thought you were asking one of those questions little kids will ask a pilot at an airshow. Slow individuals like me could not read into the question.

I like the P-50 Mustangs better still the P-51's. There is a guy at a local airport close to my house who takes his up every now and then. The damn thing is pretty.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
Yeah, you guys got the idea. Sorry if this question sounded elementary. I think both eras present such different thrills and challenges that its almost like comparing apples and oranges. But there is something beautiful about running onto a field, strapping on a belt, and taking off in a few minutes with a loud, smoky radial and fighting at such a close distance (scary as ****, I imagine too). Certainly a different time.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
TargetInSight said:
I think it'd be cool to fly the Wright Brother's plane on the beach.

Speaking of flying up and down the beach. I was fishing on Navarre pier the other day and saw the craziest thing....an ultra-light, (well, kinda) was basically a small rubber boat, with a hang-glider attatched to it and a engine/prop on the aft end of it. This clown kept doing low passes over the pier then would parallel the beach and drop down and skim the water with his craft. I just looked at another fisherman and said "that's a Darwin Award waiting to happen".

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
The concept of WWII aircraft is very romantic but they lived in times that were scary as hell! I like the shape and the look of older fighters. Give me a P-51D or a P-38... and just imagine what is was like to chace the sound barrier for the first time!

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
Yeah I got to put my vote in for the WWII era planes. The P-51, Corsair those were high performance planes with good lines and better looks. I always did like the P-38's, P-47's, and the Bearcats too. Plus you can't beat the colorful nose art they had back then.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Those WWII aircraft are sexy...but if I had my way:

F-86 or F9F. There's and F4D-1 at the Museum on NAS Pensacola that looks pretty damn cool, too. I love the 50's jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.