• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Well...this doesn't look good for the good guys...just talked to NETC some more and they're not sure what's going to happen. Their site points towards a web address, but can't be accessed without a CAC card. I've sent some emails to a couple of different commands, but no word back yet. I will call IRR Counselor and report back.

Well...PERS-912 seems to be in the middle of this, but no one there will pick up the phone. Not going to lie, I got a bad feeling about this one boys.

Last edited:
I called RESFOR (on hold, finally hung up), PERS (on hold, finally hung up), then went to email the IRR_counselor. When I went to include the August msg announcing this change to policy, I saw the msg had a LCDR as a POC, so I called him directly. Very nice guy, and didn't have great news (some was OK). Here are the bullet points:

-The course list will be reviewed every 90 days, so "maybe those NETC courses will be on there next time?"

-I can only take courses that will help me professionally, "...so taking a BM3 correspondence course will be a no go". I countered and said that I thought taking those rating courses was great for my personal knowledge and enhanced my leadership of Sailors. He conceded that *maybe* taking a BM1 course would fly, but that I didn't need the nuts and bolts of a BM3. I disagree, but didn't want to argue. I did point out that I did not create or approve the courses--I have to pick from what's out there. I recommended (suggested? I need an NETC course on etiquette to refresh me on which is correct O4 to O4!) that some consideration be given to allowing everyone a chance to get points.

-I tried to be polite, but I think I annoyed him. I told them that I went IRR for a few years to focus on career and family, quoted the email from my recruiter (years ago, but still...) saying this was viable option, but now it seems there's no opportunity for me to ear points. Here he started saying that actually it's PERS-912 that handles the IRR, and saying I should contact them.

-He gave the name of a chief who was taking feedback. I don't want to post his email, but PM me if you'd like it.

Maybe it's motivated reasoning, but it seems like these changes took a lot of man-hours and dollars to change, but won't have any effect on active duty, will have very little effect on SELRES (do many SELRES to a ton of courses?), and really kind of screws the IRR.

A few more observations:

-Marinenet courses are not available for credit

-Air War College is available for O5-select and above, but not JMPE 1 through Air Command & Staff College for O4 and below apparently?

-Defense Acquisition courses seem viable, but Federal Acquisition courses listed below seem to be only for acquisition types.

Thanks for the help, particularly to my fellow "Strategic Reserves" out there!

subreservist

Maybe it's motivated reasoning, but it seems like these changes took a lot of man-hours and dollars to change, but won't have any effect on active duty, will have very little effect on SELRES (do many SELRES do a ton of courses?), and really kind of screws the IRR.

Yeah...this does seem directed more toward IRR. Not really sure why, though...are they trying to motivate more IRR to go SELRES? Makes me wonder how many IRR are active in getting good years? Seems like a strategic move to reduce "giving out" retirement pensions, which has been a topic of discussion for the military.

To the bold...I know I haven't done any courses on purpose with the exception of JPME. But we all do GMT courses and some of them are worth a point or 2. I'm always surprised when I check the APOSH and see I have 2-8 points for courses, never knowing which ones the points were from. We typically do the same GMT courses, yet the points seems to fluctuate year to year (I pretty much do them all the same time frame- Nov/Dec). I would think most SELRES aren't doing many courses, but for guys that have floated in and out of SELRES/IRR and back...those guys may be doing a bunch, cuz they know the ropes.

Also saw this of interest:

RCC001 RCC-001 Strategy and War 036
RCC002 RCC-002 Joint Military Operations 072
RCC003 RCC-003 Theater Security Decision Mak 042

So , it looks like the courses will no longer be a straight 48 points each? I actually kinda agree with this new scheme, based on length and work load of the courses, plus you actually come out with higher overall points (not by much, but still).

I asked irr_counseler@navy.mil five direct, succinct questions about this. The response was "...you can apply for ADT or a MOB to get points". So... I'm not sure what all the whining is about. I can just volunteer for a mob (I'm a 2XFOS, so can't do ADT).

Actually, I sort of see their point. I agree it can be sort of a scam to hang out in the IRR for 15 years and get a retirement out of it. I just hate the BS of "we want the courses to contribute to professional development" when there's another reason that's very apparent.

Sam I am

pilot
Contributor
I contacted IRR Counselor as well and got a canned response about course list evaluation. I also contacted NWC and am now re-enrolled in JPME1 and will begin in January. I agree this is a "force shaping tool" aimed directly at IRR Types. The frustrating part is that NPC Website specifically states that NETC Courses are our primary source of Correspondence Courses...but nobody seems to care that guidance was issued.

I have an O-6 IRR contact who's going to reach out and talk to a few people that are out of my reach. I'll pass on his new if able...

Sam I am

pilot
Contributor
Actually, I sort of see their point. I agree it can be sort of a scam to hang out in the IRR for 15 years and get a retirement out of it. I just hate the BS of "we want the courses to contribute to professional development" when there's another reason that's very apparent.

I agree with that too, but I feel like I'm being unjustly persecuted with my 9 years Active Duty, 5 years Sel-Res and 1 year IRR. I need 5 more years and it just got a lot harder. JPME will take care of 3, but...<sigh>...rage against the machine.

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None
Fellas,
I'm still able to access DAU courses without a CAC. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you screen shots walking through how I do it.
--Ed (aka "Special Ed", aka "Duncan Idaho")

I agree with that too, but I feel like I'm being unjustly persecuted with my 9 years Active Duty, 5 years Sel-Res and 1 year IRR. I need 5 more years and it just got a lot harder. JPME will take care of 3, but...<sigh>...rage against the machine.

I signed up for Joint Special Operations University courses; they ask for a civilian email address and say there's no CAC. I got an email a day later, asking I respond with a .gov or .mil email address. I responded with my civilian dot gov, but haven't heard anything. I think there's 18 points to be had there.

I'm also a Blue & Gold Officer for USNA. Depends on how active you and your students are there, but you get 1 point for every three hours...the hitch is it'll take a while to get on the roster.

If you don't live near a large active presence, you can sign up for funeral honors detail too. It's actually a really good deal, 1-pt/per (and 1 days drill pay, even for IRR), and you really are helping out.

Since nobody can give a good or bad reason why the NETC courses aren't there, I'll bet they'll come back. I know it's sketchy when your retirement's on the line!

Fellas,
I'm still able to access DAU courses without a CAC. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you screen shots walking through how I do it.
--Ed (aka "Special Ed", aka "Duncan Idaho")

Thanks! I think I got in the other day, but I have to tell you that acquisition courses sound crazy! How bad are the courses? Can a regular dumb URL, who's only acquisition experience is hearing about the $500 toilet seats, get a passing grade? It does look like about the best option for now.

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None
Thanks! I think I got in the other day, but I have to tell you that acquisition courses sound crazy! How bad are the courses? Can a regular dumb URL, who's only acquisition experience is hearing about the $500 toilet seats, get a passing grade? It does look like about the best option for now.

I don't think they are bad, but then again, I've been doing this crap as my day job for a dozen years.

Start with ACQ101.
With most courses (ACQ201 is a notable exception) you can control the pace through the material so if you are confident you can blow right through the slides.
When you take a test, if you get an incorrect answer the system will allow you to review the relevant material and then take the test again.
The nice thing is that the test only covers the material you missed the first time. (Ex. If you get 4 of 5 questions right on the first time, then the second time you'll only see 1 question.) You have three opportunities to pass the test.
The system also allows you to create a PDF or HTML file (it depends on the course) of the material in each lesson that you can study and review for the tests.

IRM101 and SYS101 are pretty good follow-ons, in my opinion.

Just did intro to special operations forces via Joint Special Operations University. Interesting and worth 3 points for about 90 minutes of work. Each section has a test which isn't scored, and shows you the answers after you submit. The final test is just a sampling of those questions you've already seen.

You have to have a .mil or .gov address to register with JSOU. The other course on the oct '14 approved list is intro to irregular warfare. I wasn't able to register, but it looks like it directs you to joint knowledge online (jko) for that one.

Sam I am

pilot
Contributor
I just received my JKO (Joint Knowledge Online) user name and password. I needed a sponsor who possessed a .gov or .mil email address. Once I got the sponsor and they submitted the required email, I received an account. I have activated my account, but haven't signed up for any courses as my anniversary date is in DEC and I've already maxed my points. But...so far so good.

Sam I am

pilot
Contributor
Heard through the grapevine that NETC courses are back on the approved list...can anyone confirm.