• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Marine Corps enlisted here. The approved course list for NON-Marinenet courses is written/modified by someone at Manpower and Reserve Affairs each year. Meaning it can and does change at the start of each fiscal year. I've seen it shrink drastically regarding approved courses, but the command and staff courses don't seem to change. Who knows what it'll be when you are looking at it for your last two years though. I've attached last year's.

If you want this year's you've got to contact Manpower and Reserve Affairs because they post the approved courses here, but you need some sort of access to download them. In the past I've simply emailed the POC (Sergeant or Captain) on the page from my civilian email address and they emailed me up with the latest files.

One more thing, before you charge forward and start knocking out approved courses, be sure to read the note at the bottom of the excel tabs that say things like "Note: Only personnel assigned to NEPLO billets are eligible to receive retirement points for completing Emergency Management Institute independent courses.", because they will NOT give you points if you are ineligible.

Copy. Thanks for the head's up. I actually received the list from Manpower about two months ago of the currently approved courses. Guess I'll have to just wait and see what is available when that time comes.

Bjschneid76

pilot
Newbie here. Does anyone have gouge on the FY 20 courses that do not require a CAC card? I sent in the trouble ticket to PERs912 and have not heard back. I have 19 qualifying years, went med down year 20 so to speak. I have to get one more good year to get out of this thing! I have been told funeral duty, VTU, ADT are all possibilities and that they can't or maybe won't kick me out after 19 good years (8 active, 7 SELRES, 4 in the IRR) Still med down from my civilian job too, looking for easiest way out to finish this while dealing with med problems (one less thing to worry about!). Thank you for any advice!

Newbie here. Does anyone have gouge on the FY 20 courses that do not require a CAC card? I sent in the trouble ticket to PERs912 and have not heard back. I have 19 qualifying years, went med down year 20 so to speak. I have to get one more good year to get out of this thing! I have been told funeral duty, VTU, ADT are all possibilities and that they can't or maybe won't kick me out after 19 good years (8 active, 7 SELRES, 4 in the IRR) Still med down from my civilian job too, looking for easiest way out to finish this while dealing with med problems (one less thing to worry about!). Thank you for any advice!

Man, what a bummer! I’m sorta out of the game, but I think you have a few options*:

Call your local NOSC now (like this second) and get in touch with the funeral honors coordinator. You can explain your situation and ask how many points you might be able to get in a year. NOTE: in my experience funerals are largely given out at the discretion of the E-5 coordinator, so once you’re proven reliable you may get lots, but it takes a while to ramp up.

Air Command + Staff JPME (looks like it’s blocks are 12-14 points each). I’ve heard of people knocking this whole thing out in a year, so especially if you’re not civ-working this might work.

NWC: the point list still shows thee courses, but I’ve heard it’s five smaller courses and CAC (with a work around?). Look around this board or better yet, call nwc reserve affairs and ask.

*you may need to game the timing, and accept a zero points year while you line everything up. That is, sign up for JPME such that you get your first points right at the start of your anniversary year; you should be able to get 1pt for funeral honors training and one under-instruction funeral too. You’ve been IrR so you know, but you just don’t want to get 34pts one year and two the next.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Call your local NOSC now (like this second) and get in touch with the funeral honors coordinator. You can explain your situation and ask how many points you might be able to get in a year. NOTE: in my experience funerals are largely given out at the discretion of the E-5 coordinator, so once you’re proven reliable you may get lots, but it takes a while to ramp up.
A spotless dress uniform and a fresh haircut are key. We interviewed people for this at our NOSC (short interview, mostly to make sure they understood what the standard is). Not everybody makes the team nor should everybody... we're not going to send LT/Seaman Baggypants to your funeral nor anyone else's. With that in mind, there's really no secret to it- it's mostly attitude and appearance.

(The coordinator is an E-4/E-5 ADSW billet that renews every FY. When he or she makes E-6 then they finish the orders but they're ineligible after that.)

Bjschneid76

pilot
Update - joined the local NOSC Funeral honors team. Had uniform inspection and some training. I think they are still letting me "train" as I am getting one funeral every other or week or so for now. Hopefully will have their trust by my anniversary date and knock out 35 points next year. By the way at least I feel like I am doing something worth while instead of knocking out courses online that in the past had no real relevance to being in the Navy.

I sure wish there were some other programs for us to get points in IRR whether it would be serving as liaisons with local schools, governments, counties, or charitable organizations etc. Maybe this already exist in the SELRES or VTU.

I imagine NWC and Air Command courses are certainly worthwhile learning and I will be looking into the work load, time commitment, and possibility of completing without a CAC card.

Neato123

Regarding JPME 1.

Looks like the course curriculum has changed slightly (Both NWC and AF versions), per their websites.

Does anybody have gouge on whether you earn the same number of retirement points with the new courses? Have not heard anything back from PERS 912 on this exact question, and I don't want to start the program only to find out the retirement points don't count.

subreservist

Regarding JPME 1.

Looks like the course curriculum has changed slightly (Both NWC and AF versions), per their websites.

Does anybody have gouge on whether you earn the same number of retirement points with the new courses?

It’s on the website, can’t link it but you can find with google search - 98 points once the entire program is completed.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Looks like the current course list on the NPC site is stale as the Navy hasn't updated their course/pt award on that list. (I'm unsure if the AF courses are updated.) https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/reservepersonnelmgmt/IRR/Documents/FY20_Correspondence Course Retirement Points List.pdf

However, the information and point breakdown on the new course blocks is on the Naval War College site. Here's the document...if that document doesn't load for you simply go to NWC and site search Reserve Points. In the point schedule they call them Blocks. I've also attached the Block breakdown and the online program information packet.

EDIT: if you don't want to open the attachment(s):

Attachments

• NWC-ReserveAffairs-RetirementPointCredit-v1.pdf
    239.3 KB · Views: 3
  • OnlinePrograms-ProgramSchedule-v2 (1).pdf
    246.8 KB · Views: 2
  • ProgramFlyer-CDE-OnlineProgram-v1.pdf
    961.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

snake020

Contributor
I am in the VTU. An O5 in my unit did over 140 funerals last year. Made over $40k (he is prior enlisted) just for funeral details, plus the points.
How does that work if you have a day job? Do funeral honours qualify for USERRA protection?

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I was allowed to take as much unpaid leave as I needed as Sel-Res. BUT...I could do my job as long as I had a phone.

snake020

Contributor
NPS unveiled a new "low-residency" masters degree program. I read the NAVADMIN. (I'm not great at reading NAVADMINs.) The NAVADMIN doesn't explicitly say SELRES are excluded from eligibility/ doesn't say "active component" only. What am I missing?

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2020/NAV20204.txt

NPS does not typically admit SELRES.

"NPS has a very limited authority to enroll Selected Reservist/Individual Ready Reservist (SELRES/IRR) service members.

• NPS does not offer enrollment into single courses to earn reserve retirement points.
  • COMNAVRESFOR has implemented a small program for the EMBA degree in the School of Business. Contact COMNAVRESFOR for additional information.
  • NPS does not have the authority to enroll activated SELRES/IRR without coordination from COMNAVRESFOR for selection, tuition, and service obligation terms.
  • SELRES/IRR Naval Officers that are also federal employees or DoD Contractors can apply to NPS but must apply solely as the primary employee type (civil service/contractor).
  • An application that is completed based partially or entirely on the status of a SELRES/IRR will not be processed."

Best bets are the few NPS programmes advertised to SELRES through messages to the force, like the EMBA or Space Systems Certificate.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Ask yourself where the money would come from?* Would it come from RESFOR N7 (which is how schools orders almost always get funded)? Will the managed communities pony up (they can still funnel the money into N7, the accounting has to work somehow)? If you score orders there then what's the payback, what does the contract look like?

This place is as good a place to ask. Pester your chain of command about it too (well, obviously chain of command is always a big part of the answer). When you have senior leadership visits to drill weekend or on teleconferences, bring it up then- or better yet ask ahead of time. Sometimes they have round tables, like broken into E1-E6, CPO mess, wardroom, and that's usually a better forum than the all hands "anyone have any questions?"

* I'm not actually asking anyone on here. It's just that money is the big question that will need an answer if SELRES are to be eligible for this.

Last edited: