• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correct Push-up stance

FSF17

pilot
I can't seem to find the regulations for the PRT online again, so maybe you can help me... are you allowed to place your hands in a wider stance for the push ups? Are you allowed to change your hand positioning midway through the test? Thanks

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
There is no regulation about hand position and yes...you can change the position as long as you don't let your chest hit the deck.

I like to max with my hands slightly wider than shoulder width and then bring them in closer and bang out a couple more.

FSF17

pilot
There is no regulation about hand position and yes...you can change the position as long as you don't let your chest hit the deck.

I like to max with my hands slightly wider than shoulder width and then bring them in closer and bang out a couple more.

Yeah, I was fooling around to see which combo worked well... that way seemed to work the best for me too. Thanks...

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
You can rest in the "up" position, so it's not nonstop...just as many as you can do in 2 minutes.

BackOrdered

Contributor

Noted, and added to my PT routine.

BigRed389

None
You can rest in the "up" position, so it's not nonstop...just as many as you can do in 2 minutes.

There seems to be some variation on what's allowable during the "rest" though...mainly as to whether or not you can put your ass up in the air or not.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
anytime you're wondering what the PFA instruction says, google for "OPNAVINST 6110.1" . Hotel is the latest instruction.

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
Changing hand position actually changes the muscles you are working during the exercise. Hand closer to shoulder width works shoulders, while a wider position works your chest. Both will work your triceps. I recommend using your stronger muscle group and switching if think you can get a few more.

And as for resting officially you are not supposed to rest in a "peak" position.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Just don't rest, because it still is using energy and wasting your time, just pump as many as you can out. Sit ups on the other hand, pace it.

Fixer2Flyer

Use to fix it...Now I'm going to fly it
Dealing with the position and if you can change during the two minutes, you can't. Once you start the 2 minutes your feet or your hands can not leave the ground to change position. This is under the regs, but it usually goes off of what your command wants to enforce, which is usually completely different then what the instruction calls for. For example, if your butt goes in the air, your hands leave the deck or anywhere from your knees to your chest touches the deck, you are done. Some commands do not enforce the butt in the air, but then again you actually waste energy when you do that.
My personal feeling on this matter is that if you are going to be in aviation you should be able to do push-ups without putting your butt in the air and this whole thing really shouldn't be an issue, period. Then again that is my own opinion.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I once saw a candi-o fail a kid on his in-pfa (into OCS) for changing his hand position. She just flat out told him to stop and that he was done. He had to spend another week at OCS for this one minor flaw. I couldn't believe it... the dude was probably in a lot better shape than she was, and yet she failed him because he lifted his hand off the ground. This is a candi-o mind you... not anyone of any significance or authority.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No... a chitch from the next one. Candidate LTJG as I recall. I wonder what happened to her.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
I notice that no one here has mentioned the difference between "OCS pushups" and fleet pushups. The fleet regs are generally pretty lax, but if anyone that reads this is training for OCS or any other program which will be on the strict side, they add additional requirements which I haven't heard of many other commands using.

At OCS, we had to keep our fingers grounded together (no gaps), pointed straight forward. Back straight, head and eyes facing forward (parallel to the ground, you shouldn't see the grass). They were VERY STRICT about this. This next part AFAIK is universal, but is much more strictly enforced at OCS: go down so your tricep is parallel the ground, and go up so your elbows lock out. When you get tired you really have to force yourself to complete the full rep, and when a DI is standing over you, they won't hesitate to knock 20 off your count for 3 or 4 crappy reps. People have failed the PFA because they didn't pay attention to form.