• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Corpus Primary

Recidivist

Are the training squadrons out at Corpus still flying the T-34C? From looking at their websites, it looks like they are, but I have no idea when the last time the sites were updated.
Also, is there any way to get a hold of a map with course rules (I know they are supposed to be a piece of cake: "fly over the beach, turn"), but I'd still like to get a map if possible.

Also, I heard that the Las Cruces Det is awesome, but that it only goes based on weather. Is this correct, and if so what time of year is that usually?

Thanks

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
There are two T-6Bs in the whole TRACOM, and they are both at Whiting. Last I heard, there was a maintenance issue and neither are currently flying.

damcrac

Final Select NFO
Also, I heard that the Las Cruces Det is awesome, but that it only goes based on weather? Is this correct, and if so what time of year is that usually?

Thanks

I'm from Cruces and if I remember correctly we usually only see them for weather issues. Last I really heard about em coming here was the big hurricane season couple years ago. I don't know if I'd consider this place "awesome" but there is a good amount of stuff to do.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I've never seen more harmless looking questions sound more suspicious in my entire life. =P

Bevo16

pilot
Here are your Corpus Christi Course rules.

Take off. Fly to the beach. Once you get to the beach, pick a direction (right/left) and turn... fly along the beach for a while. On the way to your working areas, you will do HAPLs and LAPLs. Then you will climb up into your working area (either over the bay or over the gulf) and do stalls/spins, then you will bounce for a while.

On the way back, fly along the beach until you get to the little island and then point to base. Flop, chop, check, drop, turn, flaps, turn, center line, land.

That's it.

Corpus Course Rules are SIMPLE.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
1000 feet. Hit the beach line. Fly somewhere else. Come back, go north past the jetties, turn into the island near A-Pass (pt shamrock), turn south toward the bridge, fly down icw and then follow course rules for whatever runway. There's more to it, but this is the basic idea. It's pretty damn simple. Be glad you don't have the AF gayness to deal with at Vance.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There was a time they were telling CC studs to go down to the local huntin' and fishin' store...there is/was a fishing guide map that happens to exactly cover all the CC working areas and is easy to mark up.

But seriously...they are easy, but you do need to know them. Fucking up easy course rules is a great way to show your ass early in the game.

VT_Flyer

Are the training squadrons out at Corpus still flying the T-34C? From looking at their websites, it looks like they are, but I have no idea when the last time the sites were updated.

Yes, we are still flying the mighty T-34C and will be until sometime in the 2012 range.

Also, is there any way to get a hold of a map with course rules (I know they are supposed to be a piece of cake: "fly over the beach, turn"), but I'd still like to get a map if possible.

Bevo pretty much summed up the rules, its really as simple as we make it out to be, if I were to waste brain power on learning stuff while I'm waiting to come down here, it'd be Limits and systems. Course rules are easy to pick up, especially after your first FAM flts when all the check points are shown to you. You can look them up on Google Earth if you feel so inclined, but things look a certain way @ 1000' vs whatever alt the sat is sitting at.

Also, I heard that the Las Cruces Det is awesome, but that it only goes based on weather. Is this correct, and if so what time of year is that usually?

The gouge that we heard on that Det is a very big "maybe" and only if we get really bad wx (ie; Hurricanes). The Wx been kinda bad for PAs down here in the past three weeks or so, but contacts and BI/RI studs are still getting Xs.

As for the Mx issues, thats OBE, we are up full again. Its just WX that has been making play time a little hard.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
good God I havent heard Pt. Shamrock in freaking years. I liked looking at sand dunes while doing LAPLs. Make the best out of Corpus, just dont use the blue and white taxi cab too much...since the side of the cab says POLICE.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Are the Whiting course rules that much more complicated? I always hear the TW-5 studs whining about their 'complex' course rules.

Don't waste your time studying until you get here. Chase tail and have a good time in Pensacola. The booty sucks here, unless you venture to Austin/SAT/Houston.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Are the Whiting course rules that much more complicated? I always hear the TW-5 studs whining about their 'complex' course rules.
Yes. To go from "Area 1" to the break at Rwys 32 or 23 takes.... 11 changes in heading or altitude by my count, but that's the most complex situation.

Don't waste your time studying until you get here. Chase tail and have a good time in Pensacola. The booty sucks here, unless you venture to Austin/SAT/Houston.
Go ahead and familiarize yourself if you like. However, memorizing certain things won't make sense until you understand the underlying systems, unless you're the kind of person who can just memorize random words. Wanna give the T-34C systems book a read prior? Knock yourself out.

Pags

N/A
pilot

They're more involved than the Corpus ones. They're not impossible. Thousands of others have managed to learn them over the years. It might take a few minutes to memorize the checkpoints/alts.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I heard the Cruces det went away. When I was in primary, I got to go. It was SWEET. Not only do you fly at LEAST once a day while you're there, you get paid extra to do it. So I finished contacts, BIs and aerobatics in 6 weeks, and I got $1400 after tax in my pocket for getting to fly more.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Stop worrying over minuscule crap. You wanna get ahead? Memorize EP's and have someone walk you through a pre-flight. Have that same friend show you around a CPT.

What's that, you don't have the pubs? Bensgouge.com and the CNATRA website has everything you need. There, now you don't have any excuses.

That'll be $0.02 please ;)