• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Corpus Housing

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
About to start API and I've been assigned to Corpus for Primary. I'm looking into housing so that I'm somewhat ahead of the curve before I move down there. Anyone have any experience with Beach Club Condominiums or Compass Bay; good, bad ugly? I'm a single SNA looking for a 1 bedroom apartment. I checked other threads, but the info is a bit dated.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Beach club is not bad. Had a few friends live there and they were generally happy, except they did say it could be a bit pricey. Haven't heard any bad things about compass bay either. I would live on the island, just because that's where most of your buds will be.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I strongly recommend living on the island. I also strongly recommend roommates both to study with and to party with. People like living on the island. People rarely like living elsewhere.

sickboy

pilot
I liked Beach Club when I lived there. Agreed it was a bit pricey, but a decent chunk of my utilities were included in the rent and it was still within my BAH.

banana380

pilot
I strongly recommend living on the island. I also strongly recommend roommates both to study with and to party with. People like living on the island. People rarely like living elsewhere.

He speaks the truth.

Rather than a 1 BR apartment, I'd try and go in with a couple of other guys for a house or something on the island... Those that did seemed to enjoy the suck that is Corpus Christi a little more.

I had a 2/2 apartment with another guy mainside (Camden Breakers). The apartments were nice enough, but the location sucked. Still 20 min from base, and it was effectively a nice complex plopped in the ghetto. If you want to avoid the ghetto, live on the island. Have roomates. Flight school is a cooperative effort.

navjack

K-Vegas
Affirm all the above. Beach Club is alright but way too expensive. Guys who split a house get some pretty sweet places on the canal and pay a fraction of what a Beach Club bachelor pad costs.

Th3HumbleMuffin

Blunt-force method
I'm at Baypoint Resort on Ennis Joslin right meow. Nice place, 5 minutes from base, right on the water (Oso bay but whatever). Most live on the island, there's no shortage of good places out there. However, the bar situation on the island sucks, unless you like partying at the Pelican or Farrah's...which I personally don't. Cabs out to the island from downtown/airline/staples (all have better bars...at least Corpus "better") areas cost extra as well. Shouldn't be an issue if you split it with a few friends.

More importantly though, get a few good roommates.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Definitely get a house with some buds on the island. Drinking beers and smoking cigars on your deck/ dock on the canal is some of the best times to be had. Corpus is an absolute blast! Everyone knows that that true gentlemen/ best pilots choose to drink their faces off at The Bird or Farrahs. It's tradition. Say hello to Corpus Kara and Blue for me.

boostadikt

VFA-106
I know this isn't really the proper place, but me and two other guys just moved into a 4 bedroom house on the south side, pretty nice house about 2 years old. We have an open bedroom, if anyone is interested shoot me a message and I can provide more details. We are all in the first month of primary.

CashvillePlt

OVER THE LINE!
Definitely get a house with some buds on the island. Drinking beers and smoking cigars on your deck/ dock on the canal is some of the best times to be had. Corpus is an absolute blast! Everyone knows that that true gentlemen/ best pilots choose to drink their faces off at The Bird or Farrahs. It's tradition. Say hello to Corpus Kara and Blue for me.
Yes and Yes. Take advice from this one. It sounds like he did Corpus correctly. Corpus Kara was still stumbling around when I was there. Also, buy a 300 dollar john boat and go to party cove. Every weekend. Don't let me down.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
I lived at beach club. Thought the price about the same as anything else witha roommate but whatever. No roommate is just going to waste bah that could be beer money and no wingman. Roommate can take the "friend", back up the ridiculous story you made up about being anything other than a pilot to get a local, or just drive you back to your car in the morning. Oh ya and gouge you up about the ips they flew with do's and dont's.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Lived on the island and I would most definitely do it again. The crime rate on the island is significantly lower thanks to the bridge keeping most of the roving trash out. I was there in the 09-10 timeframe and we had the bird (Pelican), Flip Flops, Farah's, and Tsunami. Pitchers at the Pel followed by a house party were standard.

I also did Beach Club. It was okay I guess. In hindsight I should've gone in on a house with some buddies. I had a lot of friends who went that route and it was definitely the way to go.

cameron172

pilot
I'm headed down to Corpus first week of March with two other roommates. I can only find one place for rent on the island and it's not that great looking. Are there any nice areas to rent in that are west of the base? There's plenty of houses for rent that way and trying to see what areas we should avoid.