• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Corpus Course Rules and Training Areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcnj

I have heard that a lot of time is spent flying and maneuvering over water if one does primary there. Is this true? I think it sounds neat, but not sure if my source is completely accurate. Also, does anyone have any info on course rules for Corpus or perhaps links to any charts or maps of the area? I have seen some area charts and course rules for Whiting, so hoping some available for Truax. Thank you.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
the majority of your flight areas are over water. but you'll be close to land the whole time. you'll learn pretty much all you need to know about course rules when you start flying. its not hard at all.

ZRX04

What are you talking about "close to land", Corpus course rules take you out about 50nm over the Gulf for the training areas. You're in the Navy, live it, love it.

Hope you did well on that mile swim in API, you might need it. -- HA! :D

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I don't know of any links, but as rare said the working areas are over the water, but its right off the beach. You're always in a position you can glide to land if you lose the engine. They're very easy to learn here, very straightforward. I really enjoy flying here. www.bryanweatherup.com has great info about one guy's training here, but I'm not sure if there are any course rules on there.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
ZRX04 said:
What are you talking about "close to land", Corpus course rules take you out about 50nm over the Gulf for the training areas. You're in the Navy, live it, love it.

Hope you did well on that mile swim in API, you might need it. -- HA! :D

if you can see the land then you're close to it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
rare21 said:
if you can see the land then you're close to it.

That.... depends on your altitude. Go up to 20k.... you can see far!

(I know what you meant, just being nitpicky :) )

gregsivers

pilot
What primary areas are 50 nm out? I know some of the advanced guys go out farther, but I don't know of any primary areas that are that far.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
There are many local stores here that sell fishing charts (cheap) that most students will buy and mark up w/ the course rules. It works really well, IF you take the time to do a nice job. Mine has all the areas; outbound courses/headings from all the airfields; etc. A very good learning tool.

beau

the areas are sectioned off by the Island....one area over the Ocean, the area next to it is over the intercoastal waterway.....for primary anyway...dont worry about it...you are not even close to being way out to sea......

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Primary working areas: Mustang, Central and Foxtrot are over water and closest to homefield. Juliet and Delta working areas are inland. Those aren't used much by primary guys, I went to Juliet twice and never went to Delta. Pretty much you'll stick to the 8 Mustang areas. That's all you're really responsible for knowing because that's the only place you can go for your solo (unless things have changed in the last 2 years)

Advanced guys use seagull and something else that's out over the water.

gregsivers

pilot
Yep, all you have to know is the 8 Mustang ones for Fams, PAs and solos, and then Central for your form flights.

Reactions: E5B

Singer6

Konichiwa *****es
If I remember right the mustang areas are within 5nm of the island right? In Kingsville we would go out to W-228D and work sometimes. But that was like the CRP 155 radial from 90-120 miles, but it was only like 15 miles from shore that far south. The only time I've been more than 20 miles from land was during CQ.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
The advanced guys (mainly VT-31 flying the T-44) use seagull working areas which are from 35-60 DME off of CRP.....so probably like 50 miles out to see at the farthest.

snizo

Supply Officer
well at least if something happens over water here you can just swim to an abandoned oil platform...they're freakin everwhere.

gregsivers

pilot
snizo said:
well at least if something happens over water here you can just swim to an abandoned oil platform...they're freakin everwhere.

And then wait for some kayaker to give you a ride back to shore after he's done fishing out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.