• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coolest Dad Ever

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I think my favorite, unintelligible controllers belong to the country of Djibouti. It may be the only place in the world where every radio freq from clearance delivery to "center" is the same. It usually wasn't that bad because you had a Navy controller in the tower with them and traffic was/is pretty light in that part of the world. Nothing like receiving a clearance, looking across the flight station at the FE and copilot with a "what language was that?" look. Also the only place I've ever seen tower tell an aircraft on final to wave off for traffic on the runway to be me with a flat "no" from said aircraft. I think that Spanish P-3 that was on the runway may have cleared by a foot or three when that IL-76 went trucking by on rollout. The controller's response to being completely blown off? "OK!"

I'll take the 12 year old kid from Jersey any day over those guys.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think my favorite, unintelligible controllers belong to the country of Djibouti. It may be the only place in the world where every radio freq from clearance delivery to "center" is the same. It usually wasn't that bad because you had a Navy controller in the tower with them and traffic was/is pretty light in that part of the world. Nothing like receiving a clearance, looking across the flight station at the FE and copilot with a "what language was that?" look. Also the only place I've ever seen tower tell an aircraft on final to wave off for traffic on the runway to be me with a flat "no" from said aircraft. I think that Spanish P-3 that was on the runway may have cleared by a foot or three when that IL-76 went trucking by on rollout. The controller's response to being completely blown off? "OK!"

You land on runway... Great success!

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Can't be any worse than some of the foreign students/pilots on the radio.

Or me on my fam flights many moons ago. I still remember button 5 in Pensacola being a total disaster. Hearing all the clicks from the students that can't muster up the sack to actually speak. click....uhhhhhhhhh....click. Good times.

Too bad we're a Zero-Defect nation now.

Want to quote 'Gung Ho' sooooo bad right here, but I'll resist out of respect. You threw a softball up there, Schnugg.

Well go figure. This is one of the rare times I disagree with A4s.

+ other words

^^This^^

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or me on my fam flights many moons ago. I still remember button 5 in Pensacola being a total disaster. Hearing all the clicks from the students that can't muster up the sack to actually speak. click....uhhhhhhhhh....click. Good times.

Haha same, I'm pretty sure at one point I accidentally transmitted an anguished groan to VT-4 base in contacts after asking them (not ground) for my taxi clearance.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor

I had a blast flying out of Ali Al Salem once (never mind the super narrow taxiways). The controller kept saying 2000 ft, lifting then direct a point not even on our charts. Took us a bit to figure out he meant passing 2000 ft direct to this point, which we eventually figured out. The accent sure didn't help. Luckily a lot of the controllers out here are ex-pats and speak really good English.

Boomhower

None
Haha same, I'm pretty sure at one point I accidentally transmitted an anguished groan to VT-4 base in contacts after asking them (not ground) for my taxi clearance.

I forgot about that. The CDO cleared me direct to Honolulu once.

Brunes

pilot
^That is a CDO who either 1) Has had that happen a million times or 2) is a friggin RIOT all the time. That's awesom!!

Boomhower

None
^That is a CDO who either 1) Has had that happen a million times or 2) is a friggin RIOT all the time. That's awesom!!

The answer is #1. Go sit in the VT-10 duty desk and you hear the call to taxi fairly regularly because thats the call right after the base call. Students forget to switch the freq all the time.