• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Controversial Apache attack that resulted in death of journalists released

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord

This is making it's rounds on the web this week. Apparently it's the leaked tape and transcript of an Apache mission over Baghdad in 2007. I watched the whole thing and must say that, while I lament the loss of innocent life, these guys seem to have done everything by the book. I don't see what's so controversial about the clip... it seems like they executed their ROE as well as could be expected.

Hoping some of the more senior members of the forum can comment.

Mods, please delete/move if this is inappropriate.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Was wondering when this was going to pop up.

You know what? This tape is great. As a Rorschach test. Since you see it completely without context, you're able to ascribe motivations, ideologies and even back stories to people who you have not met that are in a situation that you can't possibly comprehend from the 12 minutes of footage here.

The tape is just a mirror.

NUFO06

None
The tape gives no background on whats been going on in this area. Good CRM, "you shoot, I will talk on the radio."

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

This is making it's rounds on the web this week. Apparently it's the leaked tape and transcript of an Apache mission over Baghdad in 2007. I watched the whole thing and must say that, while I lament the loss of innocent life, these guys seem to have done everything by the book. I don't see what's so controversial about the clip... it seems like they executed their ROE as well as could be expected.

Hoping some of the more senior members of the forum can comment.

Mods, please delete/move if this is inappropriate.

According to this site, it wasn't "leaked" per se, it was requested via the FOIA process and then made available after a lot of build-up to either drive revenue or support for the hosting site or to ensue interest translated to maximum distribution.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The Army 15-6 investigation pushed out by Centcom provides much of the context. They were approx 100 feet away from a Humvee and the recovered camera had pics showing their proximity to US forces. The Bradleys that arrived recovered AK's, RPG's, as well as two telephoto Canons, and administered aid to two fatally wounded children. There is also an unedited video floating around via torrent.

http://www2.centcom.mil/sites/foia/...nd Brigade Combat Team 15-6 Investigation.pdf

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Most civilians probably assume that we just go in guns blazing, shooting anything that moves, and just hide the children's corpses later before the media arrive. Our hands are often tied pretty tight. If we're firing on folks, chances are there's a damn good reason. And if you're in a hostile area and hanging out with a HVT, don't be surprised if you get shot in the face with a rocket. If you're hanging around with bad people, perhaps you aren't exactly completely innocent.

exhelodrvr

pilot
I'm assuming that technically they aren't considered combatants, but that their presence with enemy units would also eliminate any protections that they would normally have. Thus the protests being raised here are invalid.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The notion that a journalist embedded with insurgents is a combatant and so should be shot is just stupid.

You're with us or you're against is an infantile jingoistic slogan.

The idea that being a journalist somehow gives you protection, or that we owe them any deference because of their profession is just as silly. They embedded with insurgents. Dumb call, but they knew the risks and rolled the dice anyways.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I think the only unfortunate part of this whole situation is that there ended up being children in the van. I highly doubt if they'd been seen, the apache would have still fired. With that being said, it's an ugly but largely unavoidable part of war.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I've always hated when a journalist gets killed in the line of (his/her) duty how all the media outlets show coverage of the funeral or memorial service, basically conveying how noble these people were putting themselves in harms way to bring you the story.

I'm sorry these people died, even more sorry that some innocent children were injurred in the incident, but if you're going to walk down the streets of Iraq during a war with guys who are openly carrying assualt rifles and then bad things happen...
As I alwasy say, that's the breaks of Naval Air!

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Wikileaks likes to claim that they are noble but in reality it's all bullshit. They put numerous fraternity secret rituals on their site (which, I believe, are all down), despite the fact that those rituals have no significance to anyone but those to whom they have been entrusted. They doctor and edit things like this video to make viewers feel an anti-American sentiment. Wikileaks claims to be about freeing important information, but in reality they are liars with an agenda to push.