• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Continental Pilot Dies in-flight; Plane SOD in Newark

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Years ago a Braniff (I think) B747 captain died en route from Honolulu to Dallas. The copilot made a routine landing at DFW....
True story; it was on "Fat Albert", a.k.a. "The Great Pumpkin" enroute HNL-DFW ... the big orange WHALE that BI flew back 'n forth 'n back ' forth between DFW-HNL for years and years ... in fact, that PARTICULAR bird was so maintenance free that Boeing wanted it back in trade on a new one -- they wanted to see what they had done so 'right' on that particular (old) WHALE ...

The CAPT was senior and was one of the guys who 'owned' that particular route -- heart attack and then Tango-Uniform in the seat -- a glitch: his wife was lead STEW on the flight -- bad day.

The F/O and S/O did an admirable job and brought Fat Albert back to DFW, overflying LAX which initially brought them some 'heat' .... but when the cards were all layed out on the table, it was probably the 'right' thing to do, even if not the 'as soon as practicable' decision.

1512g.jpg

Picaroon

Helos
pilot

The F/O and S/O did an admirable job and brought Fat Albert back to DFW, overflying LAX which initially brought them some 'heat' .... but when the cards were all layed out on the table, it was probably the 'right' thing to do, even if not the 'as soon as practicable' decision

Why would they land at LAX? Is it a lack of manpower for the duration of the flight issue or an issue of getting the body and his grieving wife on the ground ASAP? Or something else entirely?

I'd like to think the captain would prefer his plane make his final flight to its final destination.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Why would they land at LAX?....an issue of getting the body and his grieving wife on the ground ASAP? Or something else entirely?

I'd like to think the captain would prefer his plane make his final flight to its final destination.

Well, you're the ultimate piece of meat when you assume room temperature while in flight on the airline. They -- the Company & the FEDs -- really, really don't care what's happened to you (the dead guy) -- no matter what they say. At that point in time ... the ONLY thing that counts is the safety of the remaining crew and passengers ... and from a purely practical standpoint -- it makes sense.

Sooooooooo .... why 'should' he have landed @ the 'nearest suitable airfield' ... i.e., LAX in this case .. ???

For starters: n
o FAA certified/type-rated/qualified pilot-in-command. The aircraft is certified for three, not two crew members, and in this case -- it consisted of a F/O and S/O remaining -- no CAPT. Plus you have a dead crew member onboard. And mebbe he WASN'T dead and a land ASAPracticable solution w/ medical assistance might save him. And airplane full of pax and crew. Plus a suitable landing field available.

All of which merits a 'land-as-soon-as-practicable' scenario.

That sounds about right ... :)

BUT: since the F/O had NEVER flown in/out of LAX, he made the decision to overfly LAX and go on to Dallas ... which seemed 'prudent' to most BI pilots AND the FEDs, eventually, even though it was not the 'textbook' solution.

Driving a WHALE: there's a lot to think about. There's always a LOT of 'details'. You can't write a 'book' or a 'checklist' to cover EVERYTHING.

It's not like drivin' a car or a C-150, yea-as ... ??? :)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So at what point did the First O start logging PIC time?

-I dont use smiles.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So at what point did the First O start logging PIC time?

-I dont use smiles.

That was the ghoul-joke of the time ....

Question: What was the first thing the F/O said when the CAPT slumped over ... ???

"He's DEAD?? Well, then ... GET THAT S.O.B. OUTTA' MY SEAT"!!!

Don't blame me ... I'm just the messenger ... :)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the 777 they sleep here. I'm linking the photo because it's copyrighted.
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/4/3/0/1008034.jpg

Wow. I just looked at the Boeing website and the "overhead space utilization".

osu1_n.jpg
fore-rest_overhead_200_n.jpg
osu4_n.jpg

I've flown on 777's a couple of times and never would have guessed there was a friggin' bunkroom/rumpus room over my head. Two, actually, if the website is to believed, one for the flight crew and one for stewardi. So I imagine this was where the "extra" FO was hanging out? That must have been an interesting call. "Bob? This is Frank. Could you come on down for a minute? Never mind why, just get down here."

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
^^^I use to take 777's back and forth to Japan all the time and was equally unaware of the overhead space.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was the ghoul-joke of the time ....

Question: What was the first thing the F/O said when the CAPT slumped over ... ???

"He's DEAD?? Well, then ... GET THAT S.O.B. OUTTA' MY SEAT"!!!

Don't blame me ... I'm just the messenger ... :)
Meanwhile in the pilot crew room in HOU when such news is received:

"He's dead?" "Wow. What was his seniority number?"

(typical gallows humor)

[and then still others might also ask where he was in '83 - '85]

HornyU2

pilot
None
Horny-

Our paths may cross pretty soon. I hang out with a few K-rock guys every now and then. The reserve blood is thick down here. I forgot... you going to 21 or 22?

OBTW...Seabass and I go way back. He might have changed call signs. Former USMC to USAF (U2s)...Initials SP. He is down here now too...at TW4 flying C-12s

Boyd,

Look forward to it. They have me slated for VT-22.

I actually spoke to Seabass about a month ago - I tried to make it to his pin on to O-5, but it didn't work out. I look forward to hanging out with him again - we spent a lot of time on the road together. What a great dude.

See you soon. Big Beers.

Horny

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Alright, I might be missing something, but what exactly did Never_Fits say that warrants the "STFU you stupid HT student"? At worst he made a bad joke, but he didn't assume to know anything or really talk out of turn. No he doesn't know the protocol for assuming the controls with the autopilot on; so what? If he added a question mark instead of the ellipsis that would have been a legitimate question. Of all the stupid things that get said on here on a daily basis that was really benign. Chill out.
Agree. Looks like someone had a bad case of the Mondays.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Wow. I just looked at the Boeing website and the "overhead space utilization".

osu4_n.jpg

I've flown on 777's a couple of times and never would have guessed there was a friggin' bunkroom/rumpus room over my head. Two, actually, if the website is to believed, one for the flight crew and one for stewardi. "

All depends on the specific B777 (config, age, airline). Most if not all of UAL's 777s going to Europe have one First Class seat curtained off for pilot rest, It is a Barco that unfolds into a flat 6' coffin.

Those making the long haul from IAD to PEK or Kuwait have the bunkroom. Other airlines are probably configured differently.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
A sad story to be sure…the death of a fellow airman…but caused me to burst out laughing aloud reading the above posts, as one of them reminded me of what was possibly my greatest “practical joke”…circa late sixties/early seventies.

We were a tight, friendly crew, working for a major airline. For various personal reasons (necessary/desired days off, no seniority in our respective “seat”…whatever) we had an absolutely horrible schedule that month…and for some months before and after. Flew all night, layover somewhere out west all day, return eastbound all night, land into the sun at sunup back home. Brutal schedule, especially as (IIRC) we were all commuters.

We’re in a three-holer freighter (B-727 QC) out of NYC…EWR or LGA, don’t remember which...heading west to where-ever , probably second leg (Capt flying)…CAVU Wx, quiet on the radio, and the “boss” craps out…simply nods off…followed a short time later by the FO…I’m sitting at the FE table, cup of coffee in one hand, cigarette in the other, trying hard to hold it all in…I’m about to solo in the three-holer!!

As we (I) reached assigned altitude, I eased the nose over with AP knob, set cruise power, and checked in with center.

It’s several moments later when the Capt “stirs”…moves his head a bit, then jolts his upper body, glancing over at our fearless (but immobile) FO…who’s mind is still out there amongst the stars!! His head snaps back to the rear…where I sit trying not explode with laughter. He then, of course, understood that all was well…we were “under control”. So I gave him back his airplane…LOL!! We let the FO go, until he spontaneously awoke in about the same manner a short time later…