• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Contact Lens Waiver

ItsTurboTime

my OSO says that too but I haven't heard of anyone getting it unless you are already a pilot and your vision has deteriorated. Drop the cash and get PRK seems to be the verdict. Check the PRK forum for more info.

cWood30

PLC Sr's Candidate
I'm checking it out. I'm contracting ground just to get my foot in the door, but once I get the contacts or PRK waivered I'll do an air transfer. Right now I'm looking for the right type of contacts, hoping that my current ones apply. If they don't I'll probably look at PRK instead, as I just bought a new set of lenses. My OSO didn't mention any difficulties through the waivers though, just one more step on the road to Pensacola.

KBayDog

cWood30 said:
I'm contracting ground just to get my foot in the door, but once I get the contacts or PRK waivered I'll do an air transfer.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK and decide if this is what you really want to do - in other words, make sure you would be happy serving as a ground officer in case you cannot get a waiver...or if you cannot do an air transfer. If you have your heart set on being an airdale, and do not want to lead Marines on the ground, you might want to reconsider contracting as a ground option and transferring later.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
cWood30 said:
I'm checking it out. I'm contracting ground just to get my foot in the door, but once I get the contacts or PRK waivered I'll do an air transfer. Right now I'm looking for the right type of contacts, hoping that my current ones apply. If they don't I'll probably look at PRK instead, as I just bought a new set of lenses. My OSO didn't mention any difficulties through the waivers though, just one more step on the road to Pensacola.

I have seen way too many people burned by doing things that their OSO said was just to "get their foot in the door"...just wait for the waiver unless you would be happy to serve on the ground...

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
KBayDog said:
Echo...echo...echo...

Figured it couldn't hurt to back you up on that...Anyway, I wasn't only talking about if he couldn't get the waiver or couldn't get the contract change, I was thinking more of for EVERYONE who was thinking about doing ANYTHING to "get their foot in the door"

cWood30

PLC Sr's Candidate
jamnww said:
I have seen way too many people burned by doing things that their OSO said was just to "get their foot in the door"...just wait for the waiver unless you would be happy to serve on the ground...

KBayDog said:
DO YOUR HOMEWORK and decide if this is what you really want to do - in other words, make sure you would be happy serving as a ground officer in case you cannot get a waiver...or if you cannot do an air transfer. If you have your heart set on being an airdale, and do not want to lead Marines on the ground, you might want to reconsider contracting as a ground option and transferring later.

Thanks and Thanks gentlemen. I do not mind at all going ground. Aviation is simply icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned, and I will be just as satisfied with my decision to be an Officer Candidate either way. I have heard of people getting "burned", but I feel that one shouldn't take risks that one isn't willing to man up and deal with the consequences. However, I don't see this as a consequence should I get stuck in ground.

On the other side of things, I am pretty positive about a contract transfer. I was reassured time and again by my OSO and the Captain that when I become qualified (i.e., either eye waiver approved and passed the physical tests and air tests) that it's just a couple forms signed by the Captain and they'll happily transfer me, long as I stick with the program. But again, thanks for the heads up, and I'll let you know if anything goes awry and I become "forced" into going Ground.

reapergm

(echo again) Man, youre OSO is full of it. I can think... maybe because you are in PLC, but I think thats b/s. One of my buddies got in as an NFO. He got PRK while in and tried to change. They need NFOs, so he was told too bad, so sad. You could go the ground option and select air in MOS selection, but there's usually only one slot. In my company they asked if anyone wanted air contracts. I think 10 people are so were qualified.. they had 2 slots. Unless you want to get PRK and wait it out (like I did).. have fun pounding ground or giving the pilot directions! It was worth the wait by the way.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I kind of started out that way too but then sorta backed out of it. I am trying to apply for the contact waiver and if it fails i weill get the prk. I think its the best bet to get what i want.

reapergm

I did forget one thing. So I will mention this. I saw a post my SPC put up in
TBS that said NAMI is now approving waivers for contacts up to 20/400. I dont know if that applies to pilots who are in or not though. But trust me when I say.. I know whats its like to want to get in asap.. but somethings are worth the wait. Good luck. s/f

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
cWood30 said:
On the other side of things, I am pretty positive about a contract transfer. I was reassured time and again by my OSO and the Captain that when I become qualified (i.e., either eye waiver approved and passed the physical tests and air tests) that it's just a couple forms signed by the Captain and they'll happily transfer me, long as I stick with the program. But again, thanks for the heads up, and I'll let you know if anything goes awry and I become "forced" into going Ground.

Glad to hear it...I am not saying your OSO isn't being completely honest, not at all...but if the whole contract switch doesn't happen before you reach TBS...well we had about 10-15 people wanting to switch to an air contract and only 2 got it....

thebrown88

Thanks for the replies. Just thought I would throw this question out for the Jan. OCC class guys or anyone else that might have some first-hand knowledge. My OSO said he signed a guy up with the waiver for PLC, which could be true or not. 3-4K is alot for me right now. Since 192 doesnt seem to be an option right now, Im going to wait it out as long as I can.