• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Considering NROTC vs AFROTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jn99_2000

I am an up and coming high school senior and have submitted prelimanary forms for both AFROTC and NROTC and was wondering what my chances were. I would like to be a pilot, but working on a submarine would be fulfiling to.
angel_125.gif
angel_125.gif
My gpa is 3.4, 26 ACT, President of local VICA 150+ members, officer in FFA, and holding down consistent work for past 2 years. Is it to late for me to get a 4-year NROTC Scholarship? Thanks

beau

I dont think so, the deadline is sometime in January of your senior year (I think). But dont, I mean dont wait till the last minute to send it in, I'm pretty sure there are early boards to give away scholarships. Find time one afternoon and grind out that (long ass) application. Make it professional looking and like I said before turn it in early.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
I believe the first board for the NROTC scholarship meets in mid-September or October. You've got a little bit of time to complete it, but realize that you've got to write four really long essays. I did my application last year all online, so once the essays are done it will probably take you less than an hour to complete on the internet.

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY

Robert_F

I am also an up-and-coming senior....My NROTC packet is going at the board in Flordia right now, the first ones get selected in October and annonced in November, or so they tell me.....

Dupe

The AF picks around the same time. Since I'm an AFROTC grad...I'll give you the blue side: If you're planning on majoring in any form of engineering, the AF will almost certainly give you a sweet deal (they bought my $30k + tuition each year). However, if you're considering History or Management or something, they will not likely give you a thing. Getting a rated slot out of ROTC is fairly easy if you work hard. Last year, I think 60% of applicants got picked up for pilot and 90% for Navigator.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll give you the NROTC side, since I'm a new Ensign. There is only one type of NROTC 4-year scholarship. Full. If I remember correctly, unless they changed something, the Air Force does not have to pay all your tuition, and many times they won't. About being a pilot, what do you think this site is about? Naval Aviation! From what I understand (Dupe, correct me if I'm wrong), getting pilot in Air Force is MUCH harder than the Navy side. They tend to force you into R&D and such if you're technical. The way Air Force and Naval Aviation works is much different too. Navy pilots run the squadron, Air Force don't.

Fly Navy
ENS USNR

jn99_2000

I was considering majoring in Computer Information Systems, Electrical Engineering or Aviation. I know engineering majors are preferred but is it possible to qualify for full ride in AFROTC or NROTC with CIS major or Aviation. I read one board on this site where an NROTC cadet majoring in Aviation at University of Oklahoma said the NROTC paid for all of his ratings. I would like to do that if it is possible.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably "paid" for his ratings cause it was part of the program as an aviation major.

I was a EE in NROTC. Great degree, more versatile than CIS.

Dupe

In response to Fly Navy, flyers very much run the AF squadrons. In fact, AF flyers run the Air Force. NROTC vs AFROTC...I'd say that the programs are about equal. I'm loving my Air Force life style. Let me explain: No swimming (ok...well...after I finish this API haze, then no swimming). No boats- its like having shore duty every tour. Most importanly -mostly jets: not that being a helo pilot is a bad gig, but life ain't that great on the outside as a helo driver. Its getting a pilot slot through AFROTC hard? Well...if you're on top of your ****, its easy. If you're not on top of it, you may find better options elsewhere.

navy101

I have helped plenty of helo pilots from the Navy and Army land jobs with the airlines while I was an intern at FSI's New Hire Program. Also, more of them landed jobs then the people who went to the civilian flight schools and had tons more fixed wing experience. So to say the outside for a helo driver is not great is a little misleading. One last note, I have also seen helo guys from the navy(if I remember correctly the only fixed wing time they had was from primary) smoke the Beech 1900 checkride and at the same time one air force(fixed wing), and two recently unemployed airline pilots fail the same checkride.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry Dupe, that's just not what I remember learning. But you're the one in the AF, not me, so we'll go with you on that hehe. You guys may have mostly jets, but you also have mostly cargo aircraft if I remember. You guys are the cargo b!tches, we're the helo b!tches (except Army of course). Either way, it doesn't matter, either service will do you great things, of course, the Navy is better ;-)

Dupe

I'm not sure how I wound up here at P-cola. On the whole, though, its been alot of fun. I have to say, as an AF dude, I'm glad I'm not stuck in Enid, Oklahoma or Del Rio, Texas. One good thing about the Navy: all the training bases are in nice places.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Our training bases may be OK, but the rest of them...not always true. Yeah, Pensacola is a pretty nice area, and the base itself is prett cool too.

lombs18

yeah, im just starting my junior year at a college prep with a 2.8 and im considering which to go into. The AFROTC or the NROTC, i wanna be a fighter pilot so any comments or sugguestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.