• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Consequences for Veterans and/or retirees in the 2021 DC Riots

Pags

N/A
pilot
What do you think goes into being a credentialed reporter in the White House press corps, Congressional press corps, or OSD press corps?
What does that have to do with your original question? And how much of that credentialing is handled by the government and how much is self inflicted journalism cool kids club? The white House could turn the press room into a billiards hall and never talk to the press again. But most don't because they realize the importance of marketing and having their story told.

Just because journalists have an ethos it doesn't mean anything about how the business side of a newspaper is run.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Are you kidding? They have TOTAL control.

See: not allowing businesses to operate during covid-19.
Shutting a business for an emergency (whether or not you agree with it) is different than influencing how a company conducts its business and what news is fit to print.

Instead should the Party vet all the news to ensure its appropriately factual for the masses? Perhaps a Government Ministry not Public Enlightenment?

SlickAg

pilot
Shutting a business for an emergency (whether or not you agree with it) is different than influencing how a company conducts its business and what news is fit to print.

Instead should the Party vet all the news to ensure its appropriately factual for the masses? Perhaps a Government Ministry not Public Enlightenment?
How a company conducts its business? You mean how a company has to comply with laws and restrictions that specifically pertain to how it can operate? What they can sell and when? Ever hear of liquor laws? Food safety standards? OSHA? ADA compliance? Businesses have literally thousands of rules they have to follow. That’s why they always cry for less governmental regulation. In turn, they spend less dealing with that, increase their profits, and pass on the savings to their customer or consumer. Did you read about Bernie’s mittens at the inauguration? Perfect case study.

As for the party vetting its news, YOU’RE the dude who was arguing the party needs to change its behavior in order to get more favorable coverage! Do you not understand how absurd you sound?

Was Enron a bad company? Or were the people that worked there bad people? Did they get their ethics from the company? Or did the company borrow from them to get their ethos? You seem to understand that calling for truth and objectivity in the Fourth Estate is a bad thing that can’t happen. Because it’s at odds with their business model. That’s a dim view of a profession. It’d be like my saying all government workers are lazy, incompetent, and trying to fleece the government for all they can.

And speaking of the Ministry of Truth, that’s actually exactly what Democrats are calling for. Except they’re calling it the Reality Czar.

Last edited:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
How a company conducts its business? You mean how a company has to comply with laws and restrictions that specifically pertain to how it can operate? What they can sell and when? Ever hear of liquor laws? Food safety standards? OSHA? ADA compliance? Businesses have literally thousands of rules they have to follow. That’s why they always cry for less governmental regulation. In turn, they spend less dealing with that, increase their profits, and pass on the savings to their customer or consumer. Did you read about Bernie’s mittens at the inauguration? Perfect case study.

As for the party vetting its news, YOU’RE the dude who was arguing the party needs to change its behavior in order to get more favorable coverage! Do you not understand how absurd you sound?

Was Enron a bad company? Or were the people that worked there bad people? Did they get their ethics from the company? Or did the company borrow from them to get their ethos? You seem to understand that calling for truth and objective in the Fourth Estate is a bad thing that can’t happen. Because it’s at odds with their business model. That’s a dim view of a profession. It’d be like my saying all government workers are lazy, incompetent, and trying to fleece the government for all they can.

And speaking of the Ministry of Truth, that’s actually exactly what Democrats are calling for. Except they’re calling it the Reality Czar.

Walked right into that one. Reality Czar, holy fucking shit

robav8r

None
Contributor

Was Enron a bad company? Or were the people that worked there bad people? Did they get their ethics from the company? Or did the company borrow from them to get their ethos? You seem to understand that calling for truth and objective in the Fourth Estate is a bad thing that can’t happen. Because it’s at odds with their business model. That’s a dim view of a profession. It’d be like my saying all government workers are lazy, incompetent, and trying to fleece the government for all they can.

Holy fucking shit is right !!!

Pags

N/A
pilot

The Party Comrade. Not the party.

Yes, businesses have to comply with laws. But there's still a lot of wiggle room in there as to what's legal vs ethical vs no law against. To whit, please show me the law that requires truth in reporting. And media obviously skirts the edge of fact to generate their revenues. That's why no one watches C-SPAN.

I never said calling for truth and objectivity is a bad thing. I'm just trying to point out the delta between that dream and the reality of the world we live in. I also didn't say that the media doesn't have an ethos but Im trying to point out that's only part of the business model. For a newspaper or media sources to be taken seriously they obviously have to be trusted. Part of that trust is how accurately their stories reflect fact. If they lose that trust then they lose their credibility and their market. And that's accountability piece from the market that incentives them to be accurate. But there's no law requiring accuracy and there's no law about reporting only facts we like or how to shape articles, bias, etc.

You're talking about how you want the world to be while I'm talking about how I perceive it to be. And you're welcome to see that view as dim but I don't really believe in ethical business. As a science,art, etc business is all about maximizing profit and driving to a monopoly, any notion of public good is secondary to profit. Maybe that makes me a total cynic. But that's just one blind man's part of the elephant and you're welcome to believe whatever you like.

I'm also glad you took the time to get in personal dig. That was sweet of you.

SlickAg

pilot
I'm also glad you took the time to get in personal dig. That was sweet of you.
You said Big Media’s only goal is to make money. That means everything Brian Williams did was to make money. So when he lied about news stories, he was doing it to make money.

He was suspended without pay after his Iraq helicopter lie came to light, different lie I know, but that means that he lost money when he got caught. So, lying cost him money. Therefore, your analysis was flawed.

“On February 10, 2015, NBC News President Deborah Turness suspended Williams without pay for six months from his position as Managing Editor and Anchor of the Nightly News for having misrepresented the Iraq incident. On June 18, 2015, he was demoted to breaking news anchor for MSNBC.”

Here’s some quotes from Walter Cronkite about the media. Looks like he was way too much of an idealist for you?

“I regret that, in our attempt to establish some standards, we didn't make them stick. We couldn't find a way to pass them on to another generation, really.”

“A journalist covering politics,most of us are aware of the necessity to try to be sure we're unbiased in our reporting.That's one of the fundamentals of good journalism.”

“In seeking the truth you have to get both sides of the story.”

SlickAg

pilot
So when you say the Dems you mean some people interviewed in a NY Times piece that even acknowledges the idea as Orwellian? Where did the Dems come in?
The author of that article is the “I” here, and no I don’t think a Republican would write an article proposing that President Biden would be able to appoint, without any oversight, a “Reality Czar”.

“I’ve spent the past several years reporting on our national reality crisis, and I worry that unless the Biden administration treats conspiracy theories and disinformation as the urgent threats they are, our parallel universes will only drift further apart, and the potential for violent unrest and civic dysfunction will only grow.”

Having read that quote again, I’m actually sure you’re right, and the author and everyone he interviewed is a card-carrying Trump-votin’ Republican! In fact, come to think of it, I bet it IS a Republican ploy after all and they’re just using your theory of “hands across the aisle” and reaching out to Big Media and giving the Government-appointed Censorship Czar the power they want so they can get more favorable press coverage! Brilliant!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The author of that article is the “I” here, and no I don’t think a Republican would write an article proposing that President Biden would be able to appoint, without any oversight, a “Reality Czar”.
The democratic and republican parties encompass a wide variety of people with a broad spectrum of opinions. We should not conflate the views of individual politicians with the official party platforms.

Anytime you're using the phrase "the Democrats / Republicans want to..." based on a quote from an individual, you're falling into a faulty generalization fallacy.

Pags

N/A
pilot
You said Big Media’s only goal is to make money. That means everything Brian Williams did was to make money. So when he lied about news stories, he was doing it to make money.

He was suspended without pay after his Iraq helicopter lie came to light, different lie I know, but that means that he lost money when he got caught. So, lying cost him money. Therefore, your analysis was flawed.

“On February 10, 2015, NBC News President Deborah Turness suspended Williams without pay for six months from his position as Managing Editor and Anchor of the Nightly News for having misrepresented the Iraq incident. On June 18, 2015, he was demoted to breaking news anchor for MSNBC.”

Here’s some quotes from Walter Cronkite about the media. Looks like he was way too much of an idealist for you?

“I regret that, in our attempt to establish some standards, we didn't make them stick. We couldn't find a way to pass them on to another generation, really.”

“A journalist covering politics,most of us are aware of the necessity to try to be sure we're unbiased in our reporting.That's one of the fundamentals of good journalism.”

“In seeking the truth you have to get both sides of the story.”

You're confusing journalists for media companies. Those are two separate things.