• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Congrats to LT. Swegle (aka Charles Edward never-ending question thread)

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I wonder how the male candidates who dropped out must feel that a female was able to complete the training.

Not sure why this rhetorical question is so annoying to me, but if a candidate of any training program felt worse about themselves for not completing the program because of the characteristics of another successful candidate, they should probably be channeling their energy elsewhere (maybe self improvement?).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure why this rhetorical question is so annoying to me, but if a candidate of any training program felt worse about themselves for not completing the program because of the characteristics of another successful candidate, they should probably be channeling their energy elsewhere (maybe self improvement?).
It annoys me because it carries with it the implication that one gender is inferior and you should never "lose" to them. Not different, inferior.

SlickAg

pilot
The length of time it takes the Navy to "make a pilot" has always had me amazed. But these numbers seem longer than I thought.

Are you saying that it could potentially take five years from the start of pilot training until done with the FRS?
I don't know if anyone replied to this but compared to our syllabus y'all would wing someone after our jet "intermediate" or "phase one". What we do as undergraduate flight training y'all would do at IFF. So that would easily shave anywhere from 6-9 months off of our training right there, plus the boat is at least a 5-6 week evolution. I think there's some changes coming but that's the way it stands right now.

RandomGoat1248

As others have said, 5 years is on the extreme long end of that, but 2 years to wings and another year or so in the FRS is common. The first carrier qual in the F/A-18 (or fleet aircraft for that matter) occurs during the FRS, towards the end of the syllabus. First fleet tour is normally 3 years, plus or minus a couple months. You are not assigned to a carrier specifically though. The tour is with a squadron, which falls under a deployable carrier air wing. Both entities are normally based ashore at either Oceana, Lemoore, or Japan for VFA types (sometimes air wing is not co-located with squadron however). You live there and you are not working or flying from the boat unless you are deployed or doing pre-deployment "work ups". Hope that makes sense

No one besides multi-engine is winging in 2 years anymore.

If you go tailhook you aren’t even touching a T-45 until you are an O-2, so 3-4 years before wings is the norm. But students hitting O-3 before wings is not unheard of nowadays.

RandomGoat1248

I don't know if anyone replied to this but compared to our syllabus y'all would wing someone after our jet "intermediate" or "phase one". What we do as undergraduate flight training y'all would do at IFF. So that would easily shave anywhere from 6-9 months off of our training right there, plus the boat is at least a 5-6 week evolution. I think there's some changes coming but that's the way it stands right now.

People aren’t even getting done with intermediate until 3 years in. The length of syllables isn’t the reason it takes us so long to wing and get to the fleet.

SlickAg

pilot
People aren’t even getting done with intermediate until 3 years in. The length of syllables isn’t the reason it takes us so long to wing and get to the fleet.
Having been a T-45 IP for eight years, I’d say I’m pretty familiar with the variables that go into time to train.

Since the Air Force runs their UPT program in a different way, I was addressing at what specific point in the syllabus the Air Force wings vice us.

RandomGoat1248

Having been a T-45 IP for eight years, I’d say I’m pretty familiar with the variables that go into time to train.

Since the Air Force runs their UPT program in a different way, I was addressing at what specific point in the syllabus the Air Force wings vice us.

And I was trying to make the point that it is currently taking the Navy 3 times as long to do that same training.

The syllabus is not the reason flight school takes so long right now. It is absurd how long the Navy is having SNAs wait around doing nothing.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow. I was 13 months from ground school to wings. Checked into my fleet squadron as an ensign. I was a 24 year old HAC. Now that I’m typing it I realize how ridiculous that sounds.
Quite a few Army Warrant Aircraft Commanders in Vietnam were even younger than you. Crazy.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Why is this news?
I’m good with this story because it shows that a minority female was given every opportunity that anyone else would have been given. These are the kind of stories that need to be on the news rather than stories of oppression in America. Use these stories as a source of inspiration for minorities rather than convincing them they don’t have a chance because they aren’t white males.

SlickAg

pilot
And I was trying to make the point that it is currently taking the Navy 3 times as long to do that same training.

The syllabus is not the reason flight school takes so long right now. It is absurd how long the Navy is having SNAs wait around doing nothing.
Edit: Thank you for providing us with your insight.

Where exactly are you in the pipeline?

Also, have you told CNATRA actual what problems you’ve identified?

FinkUFreaky

pilot

You're being paid right? How many weeks (or years) of paid vacation have you had? I get the want to finish, start the eight-year timer, etc... But it could be a lot worse. Everyone else in your shoes is in the same boat unless it's a medical hold.

Edit: If it's that big of a drag on your life, DOR is a thing. I loved the months off waiting to class up.