• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CONFUSED YOUNGSTER SOME ONE HELP ME PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

stylesp_619

HEY WUZ UP EVERY ONE I AM NEW TO AIR WARRIORS. BUT ANY WAY I AM RECENTLY ENLISTED BUT I DONT LEAVE TILL JANUARY. I HAVE MY DEGREE FROM COLLEGE IT IS HISTORY AND A MINOR IN SOCIAL SCIENCE. MY RECRUTIER TOLD ME THAT I HAVE TO BE ENLISTED FOR A YEAR TO APPLY FOR OFFICER IS THAT TRUE. AND ALSO I AM THINKING ABOUT SWITCHING BRANCHS BECUASE I FEEL THAT MY RECRUTIER IS NOT BEING HONEST WITH ME ABOTU EVERYTHING. I PLAN ON MAKING THE MILITARY MY CAREER BUT I WANT TO BE ABLE TO ADVANCE AND NOT GET STUCK IN A ****TY JOB. AND ALSO WHICH BRANCH OF THE IS THE BEST TO SWITCH TO. SOME ONE HELP ME PLEASE

fraz76

Styles, Did you take an Oath and signed a contract. Cause if you did it will be hard for you get out of that. It sounds like you did since you have a ship date of Jan sometime. And No you dont have do one year before you apply for OCS-Officer. Dont let your recruiter effect your deceision on what branch you want to join. If the Navy is where you want to serve then do it.

Lets access the situation, if you are stuck in your contract. Then I would advice for you to get working on your Officer application NOW, ASAP. Get all your paperwork in order. Try to call an Officer recruiter in your area. If you have good grades that will help. If you got bad grades then bust your but when you get in the fleet and work hard cause all that work is going to show and will help your application for OCS.

You might got a problem but you can make it work to your advantage. I hope you got an A school = a Navy trade school for a specific occupation.

If you got some more question give me a call, shoot me an email.
Fraz76

stylesp_619

aight i see so i cant even apply to officer school now or do i ahve to talk to my recruiter about it now. i mean i knwo i can make officer i have decent grades and i work hard. so u saying that i cant even switch branchs of the military.

Originally posted by fraz76
Styles, Did you take an Oath and signed a contract. Cause if you did it will be hard for you get out of that. It sounds like you did since you have a ship date of Jan sometime. And No you dont have do one year before you apply for OCS-Officer. Dont let your recruiter effect your deceision on what branch you want to join. If the Navy is where you want to serve then do it.

Lets access the situation, if you are stuck in your contract. Then I would advice for you to get working on your Officer application NOW, ASAP. Get all your paperwork in order. Try to call an Officer recruiter in your area. If you have good grades that will help. If you got bad grades then bust your but when you get in the fleet and work hard cause all that work is going to show and will help your application for OCS.

You might got a problem but you can make it work to your advantage. I hope you got an A school = a Navy trade school for a specific occupation.

If you got some more question give me a call, shoot me an email.
Fraz76

GTGRAY

You are not locked in dude...when you went to MEPS the first time you only signed up for the DEP. It is when you go back to MEPS the 2nd time (day before you leave for bootcamp) that you will officially enlist in the navy. If you have your degree already you would be insane to go enlisted....The lifestyle alone is 100% better then enlisted and you make a hell of alot more $$$!!!

jaerose

Yeah, if you've got your degree...call an officer programs officer (if you don't know who yours is...just check the recruiters at the nearest large metro area) and explain the BS your recruiter pulled on you (he/she should be reprimanded for that kind of conduct) and you might be able to get to where you want to be...and you can get a spot if your application is good there's time. It really depends on what job you want and what's available, too. Don't sit by and feel screwed by the recruiter, take control of your situation and make it work for you!

Good luck,
JR

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
Originally posted by EA-6B1
easy on the Caps lock

He's actually holding down the shift key.
eyebrows_125.gif

j/k

dividebyzero

stylesp, did you bring up your degree to your recruiter? If so, what were your grades like? B/c if your grades weren't all that stellar or you got a low score on...(I'm guessing the ASTB, I forget the Navy's officer qual test), then it would be advantageous to go the enlisted route for a little bit first.

b.t.w, what rate are you supposed to be going in to?

AldAE

You will need to serve a minimum activity tour, typically two years before the CO (and career counselor) will contemplate letting you go.

unfUSN

You do not need to be enlisted to go Officer... if you have a degree and the recruiter told that then he/she lied. If your grades sucked or you where a sub-par Officer applicant than YES going enlisted will help. But if you where lied to and do not want to go enlisted then talk to the NRD CO for your area about it. The CO for the recruiting district can help you.

LTJG Payne

AviatorMR239

I don't want to be rude, but before blaming the recruiter for "duping" this guy into going enlisted, I'd like to hear the other side of the story. Unless he's just trying to sound cool, his grammar and sentence structure doesn't exactly scream out "college educated". I don't doubt that he holds a degree, I'm just saying that it doesn't sound like he put a lot of time into researching the process of becoming an officer. Sounds like the recruiter used some suggestive selling to a guy who wasn't 100% sure of what he wanted, but bottom line the guy signed the papers without thinking about it. I mean people get a second opinion of another doctor or lawyer, if he felt the guy wasn't being honest with him he should have gone elsewhere. If he now wants to switch branches that further indicates he acted without really giving it much thought. His own words tell us he wants to make "military my career", I would suggest he put a little more effort into his next decision.

twidget

Deskaholic
Originally posted by Davio
You will need to serve a minimum activity tour, typically two years before the CO (and career counselor) will contemplate letting you go.

Davio,

Have to disagree with that one. Different commands have policies like, must be on board for a year, get one eval, etc.. Of course there are always exceptions to the rules for special cases. It's all up to the CO that ultimately must put his John Hancock on the endorsement. If a member quickly establishes him/herself as a "hot-runner/golden-child", or has the marks and awards from previous commands it may not take a year.

Minimum activity tours usually come into play for cross-decking during a sea-tour, or accepting orders to a new command but only reenlisting for the bare minimum to keep all options open.

doubleeagle

Aviator- I hear you and couldn't agree more. Not to trash our man with a problem but, he just sounds like he signed up on a whim or a bet with a buddy. So, let's listen to the rest of the story, aight!?

Status
Not open for further replies.