• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Confused about ASTB questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxerCLC

This is on the math gouge. I can't figure out how to do:
#28, well I can do it, but it takes for ever to do. Any shortcuts?
#34, just plained stumped
#46, confused, not sure how to find the area of that triangle
#47, also confused about that area.

THanks, I'm sure there are plenty of you who know how to do this.

asise

It really tied the room together.
A link to the gouge would help - I can't find the gouge you are referring to

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Quote the question or scan it for us. Be glad to help...

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Assuming you're referring to the gouge posted in the gouge section here, titled "ASTB Prep Test":
28:
Let
C = # of captains
B = # of 1st Lieutenants
A = # of 2nd Lieutenants

The info given states that:
B + A = 30
A + C = 45
C + B = 35
and asks for A+B+C
The easiest way to get it is just to add up all three lines, giving you
2(A+B+C) = 30+45+35 = 110
so A+B+C = 55

Problem 34 is defining an abstract operation *, defined as x*y = y(x+1). The definition tells you exactly what to do.
If -4*j = -6,
then expand out * by the defn:
-6 = -4 *j = j(-3)

So it's clear that j = 2

Problem 46:
The thing here is to remember that the area of a triangle is (1/2) X height X base, regardless of how canted the top point is. So in this case, the area of CED = (1/2) Xheight X base = (1/2) X CD X AD.

Now CD X AD is the area of the rectangle, which we know to be 10.

So the area is 1/2 X 10 = 5.

Note that we skipped computing the value of CD, because we'd end up multiplying by AD anyway.

Problem 47:
This is an equilateral triangle. Draw the altitude from the top vertex. This spilts it into 2 30-60-90 triangles, which the height is a leg of. Use the formula for the ratio of the sides of a 30-60-90 triangle to determine the height, then use the (.5) x height x base formula as above.

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
A word of warning, just because you can do the "specific" questions on the gouge, doesn't mean you'll be able to do the ones on the actual test, because they'll be different. There were no "LT, CPT, blah blah" questions, but there are a variety of word questions, so the key is to train up for a variety of word questions. Especially the "two trains/two cars" type senarios, "average speeds" and "A machine makes Y number of gadgets per hour and B machine makes X gadgets per hour, how many gadgets do both machines make in Z hours?".

BoxerCLC

Geese said:
A word of warning, just because you can do the "specific" questions on the gouge, doesn't mean you'll be able to do the ones on the actual test, because they'll be different. There were no "LT, CPT, blah blah" questions, but there are a variety of word questions, so the key is to train up for a variety of word questions. Especially the "two trains/two cars" type senarios, "average speeds" and "A machine makes Y number of gadgets per hour and B machine makes X gadgets per hour, how many gadgets do both machines make in Z hours?".

Why still are those that say all one needs to know is the gouge?

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
BoxerCLC said:
Why still are those that say all one needs to know is the gouge?
Because they don't take the ASTB every day, they took it once or twice, and happened to do good on it, but because they haven't made a job of taking the ASTB, there is no real data that can be extrapolated from their experience. We can only offer opinions. The other issue is that the gouge *may* have closely paralleled questions on a particular form of the test (there are at least 5 different forms) at some time in the past, but on the form that I took the questions were not the same, there were some that were the same type, and there were some that were different. If you can do a particular word program on the gouge/guide book, then that is great if you encounter one very similer on the actual test. You may very well get a word problem on the test that is "different" than you planned for, one of the variables is different or the arrangement is different. If you are naturally good with word questions this may not be an issue, but if you need to see and do every variation before you can do them "any time and any place", your preperation may be inadaquate when confronted with a "different" word question.

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
They say that because it is true. If you understand the concepts behind the gouge and the arco and cliffs books you will ace it. But like someone said, its not about whether or not you can do that specific problem, its bout whether or not you know how to do that TYPE of problem and if you know the concepts behind the problems.

T-man

study the CONCEPTS of the gouge provided, and you shouldn't have a problem. The gouge questions themselves will not be on the test, but they are there to help prepare you by understanding the types of questions and underlying concepts. Know the concepts and the test is easy. When I took the test, I knew the concepts so well that I only needed to read roughly half the problem and I knew exactly what the concept was. After that, it was simply a matter of plugging numbers because I had done a very similar problem when studying the gouge.

Another point to keep in mind is that all questions are multiple choice and some of the choices they give you are rediculously wrong. It is best to look at your possible answers before you try and spend 2-3 minutes on calculations. I recall being able to answer quite a few problems without having to do any sort of calculation simply because a logical deduction of the possible answers will reveal the only possible correct answer.

BoxerCLC

thanks for the advice. I am sure I can do all TYPES of problems that are presented in the gouge and the arco books. But if they through some weird question in their unlike anything I have seen before on the Gouge or Arco, I might be a bit screwed.

But thanks for the help. I take the test monday the 23rd.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Can somebody explain how on earth #34 comes out to be 2? How is -4 * (2) = -6? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.