• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.

osu501

I have one major concern. I am graduating from a college in upstate NY in the spring. I have been researching a possible Naval career for quite sometime, and the more information that I take in, the more interested I get. My only concern is my gpa. I know that gaining acceptance into OCS isnt the easiest thing in the world to do, but that isnt going to stop me. What I am interested in finding out is what kind of things I can do to prove myself, and/or improve my chances of being accepted into Officer Candidate School. Any suggestions or comments would be helpful. ( oh and my GPA is going to end up being around a 2.8/2.9, yikes i know) Thanks...

MikenColo

I can tell you some of the things that helped me get in.

Master's degree. I didn't have the greatest GPA either (never paid attention to grades) but a lower GPA in graduate school looks a lot better than it does as an undergrad.

Experience. I worked a couple of jobs after college. What specifically helped me was having a job that tied directly into what I applied for. I also listed all the training classes that I took at my jobs, even if they didn't tie into the Navy. Just because it showed that I was constantly trying to improve myself.

Recommendations. I got more than I needed from a large variety of sources. The assistant principal and my football coach at my high school remembered me, so I went that far back. I had work references from supervisors and character references from co-workers and friends. That included people with past military experience. My recruiter also set up an interview for me with an officer for his recommendation. We talked for a couple of hours, so that can be a valuable resource.

I also did my best to tie my motivational statement on my application to the area I wanted to go into. I don't know how much that helped, but I figure any little bit helps.

To some extent the community you're going into will determine what "extra's" will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.